Somali pirates hijack Greek supertanker, release South Korean fishing ship

News_Editor

The First Barbary War (1801–1805) The war stemmed from the Barbary pirates' attacks upon American merchant shipping in an attempt to extort ransom for the lives of captured sailors, and ultimately tribute from the United States to avoid further attacks, much like their standard operating procedure with the various European states.

The turning point in the war came with the Battle of Derna (April–May 1805). Ex-consul William Eaton, who went by the rank of general, and US Marine First Lieutenant Presley O'Bannon led a mixed force of eight United States Marines and 500 Greek, Arab, and Berber mercenaries on a march across the desert from Alexandria, Egypt to assault and to capture the Tripolitan city of Derna. This was the first time in history that the United States flag was raised in victory on foreign soil. This action was memorialized in a line from the Marines' Hymn—"the shores of Tripoli."

It is not like this would be something new.

No, it isn't something new indeed.....piracy existed long before America... ;)

post-13995-0-94124400-1297551217_thumb.j

LaoPo

My point was the Marines are still in the service of the US and it would not be a new assignment for them. Hire some mercenaries assign 8 marines and take care of the problem. The US can surly come up with 8 Marines willing to go. 8 Marines and 500 mercenaries would probably be all it would take.

So, why didn't America take care of a 333 meter oil tanker, bound for the US, with $ 200 million worth of oil -just 4 days ago- ? :blink: Why didn't they hire 8 marines to prevent piracy? You tell me.

http://www.msnbc.msn...deast/n_africa/

with photo of oil tanker

Some of you claim the US has answers for everything....and beat all the others; why couldn't they beat a few pirates, taking control of such a huge tanker?

Isn't it time to realize that there aren't solutions and answers for many things, including this nasty pirate problem?

Sure, we all try to come up with answers but I'm sure the shipowners, countries, and armies have been working on this problem very hard, yet they can't avoid this huge piracy problem; pirates coming from a dead poor country where a few top criminals laugh their brains out because of so much incompetence by huge rich countries.

The problem is "our" decency and laws, prohibiting shooting the b@stards and blow up their tiny ships and speedboats.

That's our problem; we're too civilized

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

The First Barbary War (1801–1805) The war stemmed from the Barbary pirates' attacks upon American merchant shipping in an attempt to extort ransom for the lives of captured sailors, and ultimately tribute from the United States to avoid further attacks, much like their standard operating procedure with the various European states.

The turning point in the war came with the Battle of Derna (April–May 1805). Ex-consul William Eaton, who went by the rank of general, and US Marine First Lieutenant Presley O'Bannon led a mixed force of eight United States Marines and 500 Greek, Arab, and Berber mercenaries on a march across the desert from Alexandria, Egypt to assault and to capture the Tripolitan city of Derna. This was the first time in history that the United States flag was raised in victory on foreign soil. This action was memorialized in a line from the Marines' Hymn—"the shores of Tripoli."

It is not like this would be something new.

No, it isn't something new indeed.....piracy existed long before America... ;)

post-13995-0-94124400-1297551217_thumb.j

LaoPo

My point was the Marines are still in the service of the US and it would not be a new assignment for them. Hire some mercenaries assign 8 marines and take care of the problem. The US can surly come up with 8 Marines willing to go. 8 Marines and 500 mercenaries would probably be all it would take.

So, why didn't America take care of a 333 meter oil tanker, bound for the US, with $ 200 million worth of oil -just 4 days ago- ? :blink: Why didn't they hire 8 marines to prevent piracy? You tell me.

http://www.msnbc.msn...deast/n_africa/

with photo of oil tanker

Some of you claim the US has answers for everything....and beat all the others; why couldn't they beat a few pirates, taking control of such a huge tanker?

Isn't it time to realize that there aren't solutions and answers for many things, including this nasty pirate problem?

Sure, we all try to come up with answers but I'm sure the shipowners, countries, and armies have been working on this problem very hard, yet they can't avoid this huge piracy problem; pirates coming from a dead poor country where a few top criminals laugh their brains out because of so much incompetence by huge rich countries.

The problem is "our" decency and laws, prohibiting shooting the b@stards and blow up their tiny ships and speedboats.

That's our problem; we're too civilized

LaoPo

The ship is of Greek registry. Didn't pay any US taxes. You want protection register your boat in the US and pay taxes.

The ship is of Greek registry. Didn't pay any US taxes. You want protection register your boat in the US and pay taxes.

I knew you were going to say that.

Surely, the American copmany(s) of $ 200 million of oil are insured against piracy...are they ? ;)

LaoPo

Besides being a Greek owned and registered ship, the cargo was bound for Suez, not the US as you state.

I don't know why they didn't hire 8 marines, but if they had the ship would likely not have been hijacked.

Besides being a Greek owned and registered ship, the cargo was bound for Suez, not the US as you state.

I don't know why they didn't hire 8 marines, but if they had the ship would likely not have been hijacked.

From: The very first sentence in the link: http://www.msnbc.msn...deast/n_africa/

"LONDON/ATHENS — Suspected Somali pirates captured a U.S.-bound tanker carrying around $200 million worth of crude oil in the Indian Ocean on Wednesday in one of the biggest hijackings in the area so far."

To go to the U.S. it's obvious the tanker had to go to Suez first. Can't you read ? :blink:

LaoPo

From: The very first sentence in the link: http://www.msnbc.msn...deast/n_africa/

"LONDON/ATHENS — Suspected Somali pirates captured a U.S.-bound tanker carrying around $200 million worth of crude oil in the Indian Ocean on Wednesday in one of the biggest hijackings in the area so far."

To go to the U.S. it's obvious the tanker had to go to Suez first. Can't you read ? :blink:

LaoPo

I can read perfectly fine. How about you?

"The vessel was on its way to the Egyptian seaport town of Suez from Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates."

Copied from post number one (1) of this thread.

I overlooked your link, since most of them regurgitate the same old tired news.

I can read perfectly fine. How about you?

"The vessel was on its way to the Egyptian seaport town of Suez from Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates."

Copied from post number one (1) of this thread.

I overlooked your link, since most of them regurgitate the same old tired news.

Nothing wrong with my eyes Chuck B)

The reason that I wrote "U.S. bound" was that the news about the capture by pirates of the supertanker was all over the news (and it was known that the tanker was to sail to the Gulf of Mexico), not just newspapers (internet version or not) who bring the news later than radio, television, internet and other social media as you know.

The link by TV was therefore already "old news".

LaoPo