Thai Moped Crash Victim Facing £30K Hospital Bill

Boater

A bar worker from Stockport is seriously ill in hospital after a mystery accident on holiday.

Sean Cunningham, 22, who was travelling alone through the Thai island of Koh Phangan, was left for dead after the accident.

His family has flown out to be at his bedside on neighbouring Koh Samui and are desperately trying to raise cash for the medical bill that currently stands at £30,000.

Seans family say he has medical insurance with a company in Dubai where he has been working in a bar for the past year. But because the company is investigating the accident, the family has been left to foot the bill for now.

The former St Annes RC School and St Winifreds RC Primary School pupil from Heaton Mersey suffered multiple head and limb injuries, a collapsed lung and windpipe, and fractured his spine in three places

more here - http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1407486_thai_moped_crash_victim_facing_30k_hospital_bill

very sad to here, the lad is from near where i was brought up. good job he had the sense to have a helmet on. there are very few if any insurance companies that cover you on a

motorbike. so if you do have an accident tell them you were knocked down.

to the op, are you organising a fund raiser?

If someone can organise I will contribute

Forum rule.

25) Members are forbidden to solicit for or accept donations, gifts etc. for providing such advice to visitors and members. Likewise, it is not permitted to steer or solicit members and visitors to go to locations or businesses where it is necessary to pay for services or assistance. The exception is ThaiVisa.com sponsors, who may reasonably promote themselves.

Hmm..many questions.

WHEN did the accident happen cq when was he found on Koh Phangan ?

How long has he been in hospital?

How long was he unconscious on IC on Koh Samui?

How come the bill is so high?

Was he a on an allowed leave with his bar-employer in Dubai ?

Why is the insurance company investigating the case ?

Why did he decide to stay longer after his friends left and was this allowed by his employer or did he leave his job ?

Food for thought.

edit:

Some answers found in the link, provided in the article:

"Sean Cunningham is originally from Manchester and is 22 years of age. He currently lives in Dubai and works in the Irish Village Bar and Restaurant. On the 18th January 2011, whilst on holiday in Thailand, Sean was involved in an accident on the Island of Koh Phangan. <snip> t

taken into Intensive Care.

Unfortunately Sean's insurance does not cover him .................. "

In wonder why his insurance company does not cover him.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

If someone can organise I will contribute

Forum rule.

25) Members are forbidden to solicit for or accept donations, gifts etc. for providing such advice to visitors and members. Likewise, it is not permitted to steer or solicit members and visitors to go to locations or businesses where it is necessary to pay for services or assistance. The exception is ThaiVisa.com sponsors, who may reasonably promote themselves.

Thank you very much PoorSucker. A member only asked if there is a fundraiser & another member offered a contribution if there was one.

There was no solicitation or demand for money from the OP or any other member. At no time was a forum rule broken.

Thank you.

Hmm..many questions.

Why did he decide to stay longer after his friends left and was this allowed by his employer or did he leave his job ?

Food for thought.

edit:

"Sean Cunningham is originally from Manchester and is 22 years of age. He currently lives in Dubai and works in the Irish Village Bar and Restaurant. On the 18th January 2011, whilst on holiday in Thailand, Sean was involved in an accident on the Island of Koh Phangan. <snip> t

LaoPo

I don't know where you got this info but from searching and reading on facebook I see there are already fundraisers happening. Also his injuries appear to be severe.

Again I hope enough is raised to enable him to return to either Dubai or the UK as soon as possible.

Hmm..many questions.

Food for thought.

edit:

LaoPo

I don't know where you got this info but from searching and reading on facebook I see there are already fundraisers happening. Also his injuries appear to be severe.

Again I hope enough is raised to enable him to return to either Dubai or the UK as soon as possible.

Like I wrote: "Some answers found in the link, provided in the article.."

I found the info by opening the link on the bottom of the link in the first OP article and post.

LaoPo

Hmm..many questions.

Food for thought.

edit:

LaoPo

The Irish Village Bar & Restaurant seems to be a very well run and organised place in Dubai, I wonder why the insurance would make such a hassle out of this? Didn't he have the proper driving license? Most bikes in Thailand are well above the 49 or 50cc that come automatically with an UK license.

Hmm..many questions.

Food for thought.

edit:

LaoPo

The Irish Village Bar & Restaurant seems to be a very well run and organised place in Dubai, I wonder why the insurance would make such a hassle out of this? Didn't he have the proper driving license? Most bikes in Thailand are well above the 49 or 50cc that come automatically with an UK license.

maybe too much alcohol?

if he ended up in samui bkk hospital it is easy to have 30000 BP hospital bill and maybe somebody else was driving?

'Most bikes in Thailand are well above the 49 or 50cc that come automatically with an UK license'

This is incorrect you are not allowed to ride any motorbike in the uk including under 50cc/moped unless you have passed the CBT which allows you to ride with L plates until you pass the full test. This is the reason NO insurance company will insure you abroad if you haven't passed the full test and lets face it 99% of the foreigners haven't passed it. There should be a sign in every rental shop saying you will pay dearly if you have a crash so make sure you have serious funds in your bank or better still get a taxi or walk in the long run it will save you big money. Hope the kid gets well.

Does anyone know which hospital on Samui that he is a patient at?

I just want to make sure that if I ever needed care on the island, not to use it...

because any hospital that says this:

The hospital has told the family to never leave Sean alone – as they don’t have enough nursing staff to watch him 24 hours a day

is not a place to go to.

Edited by Buchholz

Quick question on comment above - does the possession of a Thai drivers license cover operation of motorbikes as well? Would think so but don't know for sure.

No. If you drive a car you need a car licence, if you drive a motorbike you need to pass another test to get a bike licence.

(you don't need to sit the exam and eye test parts twice, only the practical).

I just want to make sure that if I ever needed care on the island, not to use it...

The hospital has told the family to never leave Sean alone – as they don’t have enough nursing staff to watch him 24 hours a day

is not a place to go to.

This is fairly common standard in government hospitals but also all the other hospitals on this island accommodate family in the patients room.

Thai family members will look after the ill or injured family member, wash him or her and in general keep an eye out in case an emergency arises.

When in Rome......................Buchholz, this ain't Kansas anymore.

'Most bikes in Thailand are well above the 49 or 50cc that come automatically with an UK license'

This is incorrect you are not allowed to ride any motorbike in the uk including under 50cc/moped unless you have passed the CBT which allows you to ride with L plates until you pass the full test. This is the reason NO insurance company will insure you abroad if you haven't passed the full test and lets face it 99% of the foreigners haven't passed it. There should be a sign in every rental shop saying you will pay dearly if you have a crash so make sure you have serious funds in your bank or better still get a taxi or walk in the long run it will save you big money. Hope the kid gets well.

Thanks for the clarification, bottom line however is that Western insurance companies won't cover you if you have a bike accident without the proper licence to operate/drive that bike.

If the hospital hasn't got the staff to look after the guy then just how do they justify the 30,000 pounds hospital bill ? Around 1.5million baht pays for an awful lot of staff.

That's a good point and somehow I've got a gut feeling that he isn't at the IC in Nathon but more near BKK. A bill in that magnitude would fir the BKK hospital profile.

Still remains unclear why the insurance won't help out.

is not a place to go to.

This is fairly common standard in government hospitals but also all the other hospitals on this island accommodate family in the patients room.

Thai family members will look after the ill or injured family member, wash him or her and in general keep an eye out in case an emergency arises.

It's been a long time since I was in Kansas.

It remains that any hospital that is saying it can't provide nursing care 24/7 is no hospital.

This from someone who had 24/7 nursing care in the local government hospital (in addition to having family members also staying in the room).

So, I guess I return to my question. Does anyone know which hospital this unfortunate patient is staying at?

The hospital has told the family to never leave Sean alone as they don't have enough nursing staff to watch him 24 hours a day

is not a place to go to.

It's been a long time since I was in Kansas.

It remains that any hospital that is saying it can't provide nursing care 24/7 is no hospital.

This from someone who had 24/7 nursing care in the local government hospital (in addition to having family members also staying in the room).

So, I guess I return to my question. Does anyone know which hospital this unfortunate patient is staying at?

I've been unfortunate enough to visit the ICU at BKK Samui and its a similar set up to anywhere else I've seen albeit each room is separate but all can be clearly monitored easily by the staff. More or less 'care' is given on a need basis from what I could see.

The private rooms in the main hospital are unsuitable for dealing with a patient with multiple injuries who might have unexpected bleeding or complications as they are private spacious and comfortable sure but in the hour or two since the nurse last looked in anything could happen.

Nurse to patient ratio higher means more $$. You could always hire a couple of nurses yourself 24/7....probably a lot cheaper. ;)

Edited by smokie36

Does anybody have contact with the family ? get the guy moved to the Government hospital at Nathon immediately. A friend at one of the private hospitals was quoted over 300,000 baht for 2 operations on his ankle after a bike accident. we transferred him to nathon and the same surgeon who was going to do the operation at the private hospital did it at Nathon and the whole bill for everything was less that 30,000 baht.

I'm just wondering about where the family are staying etc. If anybody is in contact with them drop me a PM. Cheers :D

Look I don't know the magnitude of the injuries. But as Dunc has said if he can be moved, I would really contemplate that. even better then Nathon, Thaksin Private hospital in Surat.

Look I don't know the magnitude of the injuries. But as Dunc has said if he can be moved, I would really contemplate that. even better then Nathon, Thaksin Private hospital in Surat.

Hmm....but if the bill hasn't been paid yet (in full)....would the hospital let the patient go....:unsure:

LaoPo

Hmm....but if the bill hasn't been paid yet (in full)....would the hospital let the patient go....:unsure:

LaoPo

Not even commenting on that factor. Just talking about the level of care & the relative cost if you are not covered by insurance.

I just hope the gentleman gets better.

LaoPo

Not even commenting on that factor. Just talking about the level of care & the relative cost if you are not covered by insurance.

I just hope the gentleman gets better.

there is a sign in BBK hospital that states regardless of race, age, finacial backing ect ect ect , Bangkok Samui Hosptial is to treat them the same... any life threating injury should not be ignore and be treated under the Thai Health Code xxxxxx

will have to take a pic nect time i am there as ' legally ' it transmit that if you have a serious accident you should and can be treated for free

The thread seems to have died ? :blink:

Does nobody know which hospital he is in ?

Or know a contact number for the family ?

You could try the Irish Village in Dubai, +971 4 2824122 info(at)theirishvillage.ae

Manager's name is Gerard Kearney

Apologies if i've broken rules here MODS