Formula 1 In 2011

wackysleet

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most of them are mate. I watched most of it but fell asleep.

There were two cracking World Superbike races on ESPN though.

The races are no where as long as an F1 but a great deal more exciting, in fact they are also sometimes more exciting than MotoGP.

Instead of such long drawn out 50-60 lap races in F1, would it be better to have 2 x 20 or 30 lap races in the same day?

For sure overtaking has come back to Formula 1. At last! But seriously, sometimes it seems just a bit too easy, I would even say "unfair" for the car behind. With a flick of a switch he has an additional 70 HP (or the equivalent in speed when the DRS is "on") and overtaking is a piece of cake.

There was a time when FIA banned all electronic helps like traction control, ABS etc. with the argument that the driver should be in control the car. But what do we have now? It's not the better driver or the better car, which is able to overtake, it's the one who is allowed to use DRS.

One could argue that if the cars and the drivers are equally matched, the overtaking will take place again next lap, but with reversed roles. Unfortunately that's not true, unless of course the one who just overtook, has such tire degradation that he cannot take full advantage of the overtaking. We have seen that between Hamilton and Button. Otherwise, the advantage gained through this overtaking makes it very hard for the car behind to follow.

So, many other DRS-assisted overtaking maneuvers felt just a bit too easy, no fighting, no racing.

Of course, being a Ferrari fan, I loved it when Alonso was able to pass Weber, but I was equally disappointed when Weber did the same to Alonso shortly for the end of the race. I guess that's what you call a biased Ferrari tifoso.

I heard there will be no DRS in Monte Carlo in 3 week.

Boring race

I didn't think it was a boring race but have realised that I'm getting old :(. Whereas I always used to know exactly what was going on (who was where etc. etc.), nowadays I've no idea where drivers are in 'real' terms - it changes dramatically so often that I'm unable to sort it out!

Incidentally, can anyone tell me what the 'green up arrows' mean? 'Pit' is obvious, but when they are showing the gaps at the bottom of the screen what do the 'green arrows' mean? (Sorry, told you I'm getting old...)

For the first few races I enjoyed DRS making overtaking possible, but now I'm beginning to wonder - it just seems too easy sometimes.

Looks as if SV is running away from everyone else in the WDC, but (hopefully) its early days and he won't be able to get away with a clean start - whilst everyone else is slowing their race down by fighting with others, in the future.

Meanwhile - RBR, McLaren and Ferrari are all looking pretty close. Mercedes and Renault are looking v close too.

Bodes well for some good races in the future

p.s. I'm getting well and truly fed up with Steve Slater - the man is seriously annoying!

Edited by F1fanatic

Slater lol. He was talking while the car to pit radio was on for 1 of the drivers, I admit to having a few beers at that point. I am screaming at the TV "Will you shut your f****** Slater?" H'mmm I used to know a gunman, but he's banged up for getting caught.

Slater lol. He was talking while the car to pit radio was on for 1 of the drivers, I admit to having a few beers at that point. I am screaming at the TV "Will you shut your f****** Slater?" H'mmm I used to know a gunman, but he's banged up for getting caught.

I was in the UK for the Chinese GP and watching it on the BBC really put in perspective for me just how terrible Star Sports coverage is. I mean i knew it was bad, but actually, it's worse than that!

For a start, there should never be advertising during the race. Races these days are only about an hour and a half - same duration as a football match - so why must we have breaks every 10 minutes that more often than not, interrupt something crucial going on?

Secondly, the warm up programming is incredibly boring and these days, i simply don't bother with it. Same goes for Chequered Flag nonsense. Just so tedious. I was beginning to think it might have just been my interest in the sport waning, but BBC coverage prior and after the race was riveting. Prior to the race they do a walk down the grid and do unplanned interviews with the drivers. Very spontanious and off the cuff stuff. And i've never really been a fan of Brundle or Coultard as far as TV personalities are concerned, but it works, it really does. I only wish i could watch it out here. Downloading from the internet is an option, but for me it's simply too slow.

As for Slater, what can one say....

I was in the UK for the Chinese GP and watching it on the BBC really put in perspective for me just how terrible Star Sports coverage is. I mean i knew it was bad, but actually, it's worse than that!

For a start, there should never be advertising during the race. Races these days are only about an hour and a half - same duration as a football match - so why must we have breaks every 10 minutes that more often than not, interrupt something crucial going on?

Secondly, the warm up programming is incredibly boring and these days, i simply don't bother with it. Same goes for Chequered Flag nonsense. Just so tedious. I was beginning to think it might have just been my interest in the sport waning, but BBC coverage prior and after the race was riveting. Prior to the race they do a walk down the grid and do unplanned interviews with the drivers. Very spontanious and off the cuff stuff. And i've never really been a fan of Brundle or Coultard as far as TV personalities are concerned, but it works, it really does. I only wish i could watch it out here. Downloading from the internet is an option, but for me it's simply too slow.

As for Slater, what can one say....

You've no idea how relieved I am to hear you say that!

Like you I thought my interest in F1 must be waning 'cos even though I actually watch the warm-up and Chequered Flag programmes, I find them extremely boring.

I miss Brundle's 'grid-walk' before the race - even when he was talking to 'celebs' rather than drivers, at least he was always looking to talk to a driver.

The adverts with ESPN are unbelievable! There could be something vital going on in the race, but ESPN think it far more important to show us (yet again) the ads we've seen umpteen times before :( and had no interest in the first time... We KNOW when Engine Block is on - you don't need to keep telling us. As for the oil adverts, either we're interested enough the first time round to pay attentention or we're not - we don't need to see them every 10 bloody minutes!

Sorry - got a bit irritated there.

Like you I thought my interest in F1 must be waning 'cos even though I actually watch the warm-up and Chequered Flag programmes, I find them extremely boring.

I take my hat off to you madam, that you manage to sit through all that crap TV. Your devotion is admirable.

I miss Brundle's 'grid-walk' before the race - even when he was talking to 'celebs' rather than drivers, at least he was always looking to talk to a driver.

You miss it? When were you able to watch it? Did you live in the UK?

For the Chinese GP they had Jake and Coultard doing the grid walk. Was funny when Jake thrust the mic into MS's face as he was walking to his car, David suddenly disappeared. When Jake asked him later why he had disappeared, he said that he saw the look on Michael's face and it was an expression he recognised, and when he is looking like that, only a crazy man would step into his path. Just shows, even after all these years, Michael still instills fear in people. Sadly though, it's no longer for what he can do behind the wheel.

The adverts with ESPN are unbelievable! There could be something vital going on in the race, but ESPN think it far more important to show us (yet again) the ads we've seen umpteen times before :( and had no interest in the first time... We KNOW when Engine Block is on - you don't need to keep telling us. As for the oil adverts, either we're interested enough the first time round to pay attentention or we're not - we don't need to see them every 10 bloody minutes!

Couldn't agree more!

I take my hat off to you madam, that you manage to sit through all that crap TV. Your devotion is admirable.

You miss it? When were you able to watch it? Did you live in the UK?

For the Chinese GP they had Jake and Coultard doing the grid walk. Was funny when Jake thrust the mic into MS's face as he was walking to his car, David suddenly disappeared. When Jake asked him later why he had disappeared, he said that he saw the look on Michael's face and it was an expression he recognised, and when he is looking like that, only a crazy man would step into his path. Just shows, even after all these years, Michael still instills fear in people. Sadly though, it's no longer for what he can do behind the wheel.

Couldn't agree more!

I moved here from the UK so am (was) used to the UK coverage with Brundle etc. I remember Murray Walker - he was hysterically funny and as soon as he said a driver had the race 'in the bag', everyone (including Murray) knew that it was the kiss of death :lol:....But he was so enthusiastic I loved him anyway and was sad when he retired.

Much as Slater is getting on my nerves, I feel sorry for the race commentators as (Slater keeps telling us) they are reliant on a tiny TV screen for the race, timings etc. I can understand that ESPN can't afford to send them to the actual races, but surely they can afford to give the commentators all the latest technology!

Wish I'd seen Jake shoving the mic into Schumi's face and Coultard disappearing! I assume Schumi didn't do a 'Montoya' on him. (Assume you've seen the utube clip of Juan throwing a wobbly when a reporter accidentally hit him with a mic :lol:)

I've absolutely nothing to say about Schumi's performance at the moment except... I'm praying that now Mercedes has a decent car Schumi will get past the 'have to prove myself' and get back to his old form.

I moved here from the UK so am (was) used to the UK coverage with Brundle etc. I remember Murray Walker - he was hysterically funny and as soon as he said a driver had the race 'in the bag', everyone (including Murray) knew that it was the kiss of death :lol:....But he was so enthusiastic I loved him anyway and was sad when he retired.

I see. How did you end up in the UK, if you don't mind me asking?

I started out finding Murray's ways quite endearing but in the end, for me, he became quite annoying. He is an institution though and very much a part of F1broadcasting history - well in the UK anyway - along with Fleetwood Mac of course!

When i left UK in the late 90s, F1 coverage had though gone really down hill with ITV having the rights. Seeing the way the BBC cover it now in 2011 is a relief - they do a great job - should never have left the BBC obviously.

Wish I'd seen Jake shoving the mic into Schumi's face and Coultard disappearing! I assume Schumi didn't do a 'Montoya' on him. (Assume you've seen the utube clip of Juan throwing a wobbly when a reporter accidentally hit him with a mic :lol:)

Schumi didn't do a Montoya on him no, but if looks could kill...

biggrin.gif

Was it Coulthard who Murray poked on the head, with a "Show us where it hurt" ? lol Some of Murray's moments were great, a lot were down to his enthusiasm. James Hunt was great at popping his balloon.

I see. How did you end up in the UK, if you don't mind me asking?

I started out finding Murray's ways quite endearing but in the end, for me, he became quite annoying. He is an institution though and very much a part of F1broadcasting history - well in the UK anyway - along with Fleetwood Mac of course!

When i left UK in the late 90s, F1 coverage had though gone really down hill with ITV having the rights. Seeing the way the BBC cover it now in 2011 is a relief - they do a great job - should never have left the BBC obviously.

Schumi didn't do a Montoya on him no, but if looks could kill...

biggrin.gif

Hate to admit it but I'm English - my only saving grace is that my mum is Finnish and (as you know) the Brits have a terrible reputation 'cos of the yobs - I'm not a yob...:lol:

Like you I left England in the '90's and you're right - the coverage had gone downhill, BUT it was still way better than ESPN....

Murray Walker and Fleetwood Mac - ahhhh, happy days!

Was it Coulthard who Murray poked on the head, with a "Show us where it hurt" ? lol Some of Murray's moments were great, a lot were down to his enthusiasm. James Hunt was great at popping his balloon.

That's exactly how I feel (and felt at the time)! He was sooo over-enthusiastic we couldn't help but get excited too. His 'faux pas' made it even funnier.

Have to admit I don't remember James Hunt commentating. When was that?

Hate to admit it but I'm English - my only saving grace is that my mum is Finnish and (as you know) the Brits have a terrible reputation 'cos of the yobs - I'm not a yob...:lol:

Like you I left England in the '90's and you're right - the coverage had gone downhill, BUT it was still way better than ESPN....

Thanks for the background F1. Interesting.

I'm 100% English and proud of it. Terrible reputation? Not sure about that. Every country has its idiots. England no more, no less than elsewhere, in my view.

That's exactly how I feel (and felt at the time)! He was sooo over-enthusiastic we couldn't help but get excited too. His 'faux pas' made it even funnier.

When did you get into F1, F1fanatic? For me it was the late 80s, at the height of Senna mania.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A4428867

In 1980, James Hunt was back in Formula One, but this time partnering Murray Walker as a BBC commentator, where he would remain until his fatal heart attack in 1993, at the age of just 45. He took a while to get into the swing of things - during the gap between racing and commentating he had fallen into depression and had taken to even wilder partying in an attempt to lift himself out of it. It was hard for him to take his new job seriously, and drunk two bottles of wine during his first broadcast, but he soon got himself back on track and became a reformed character.

James was popular with the public - he didn't seem to care that he was on the BBC and always said exactly what he was thinking. He and Murray had a tentative relationship at first, but soon had respect for each other and worked together well, despite their not-so infrequent arguments, one of which nearly ended in fisticuffs. Their commentating styles couldn't have been more different, with Murray always trying to make the best of things, and James coming out with comments such as 'The trouble with Jarier is that he's a French wally; always has been and always will be.' Another memorable moment was Murray's 'There's flames coming out of the car as he goes into the swimming-pool3' followed by 'Well, that should put them out then' from James.

When did you get into F1, F1fanatic? For me it was the late 80s, at the height of Senna mania.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A4428867

In 1980, James Hunt was back in Formula One, but this time partnering Murray Walker as a BBC commentator, where he would remain until his fatal heart attack in 1993, at the age of just 45. He took a while to get into the swing of things - during the gap between racing and commentating he had fallen into depression and had taken to even wilder partying in an attempt to lift himself out of it. It was hard for him to take his new job seriously, and drunk two bottles of wine during his first broadcast, but he soon got himself back on track and became a reformed character.

James was popular with the public - he didn't seem to care that he was on the BBC and always said exactly what he was thinking. He and Murray had a tentative relationship at first, but soon had respect for each other and worked together well, despite their not-so infrequent arguments, one of which nearly ended in fisticuffs. Their commentating styles couldn't have been more different, with Murray always trying to make the best of things, and James coming out with comments such as 'The trouble with Jarier is that he's a French wally; always has been and always will be.' Another memorable moment was Murray's 'There's flames coming out of the car as he goes into the swimming-pool3' followed by 'Well, that should put them out then' from James.

I didn't get into F1 until around 1998 or so. I'm the last person on earth you'd expect to be interested in F1 (refuse to drive a car anymore- I drift off into my own world so easily I'm downright dangerous if I'm too comfortable). I realise my vulnerability on a motorbike, so its my mode of transport. Unfortunately,... after a race I think I'm Michael Schumacher and start driving as if I'm in a race :lol:!

My best friend was seriously into F1 and talked me into watching a race - pointing out that Schumi loves dogs - I've been fanatical ever since....

Odd the things that change our life...

Edited by F1fanatic

I didn't get into F1 until around 1998 or so. I'm the last person on earth you'd expect to be interested in F1 (refuse to drive a car anymore- I drift off into my own world so easily I'm downright dangerous if I'm too comfortable). I realise my vulnerability on a motorbike, so its my mode of transport. Unfortunately,... after a race I think I'm Michael Schumacher and start driving as if I'm in a race :lol:!

My best friend was seriously into F1 and talked me into watching a race - pointing out that Schumi loves dogs - I've been fanatical ever since....

Let me guess, a Fino?

No, that's not fair. Just because you are a woman, doesn't mean you like all things cute and pretty. Go on, surprise me. Tell me you ride an ER6f and knock my sexist stereotyping for six!

Let me guess, a Fino?

No, that's not fair. Just because you are a woman, doesn't mean you like all things cute and pretty. Go on, surprise me. Tell me you ride an ER6f and knock my sexist stereotyping for six!

Wish I could! I've no idea what a Fino is - as I say I'm the last person in the world you'd expect to like F1! :lol:

I may have overstated the case when I talked about a 'motorbike'.... I've only something close to a scooter - a Honda Airblade (I would NEVER trust myself with a proper motorbike - even though I'd LOVE one).

As it is, I leave all the cars, other motorbikes for dust when the traffic lights change (as I'm pretending I'm Schumi):lol:.

Quick edit - like most Western women I have no time at all for "cute and fluffy"! My dive gear (as is every other woman I know) black, with a touch of a different colour...

Edited by F1fanatic

Thanks for the background F1. Interesting.

I'm 100% English and proud of it. Terrible reputation? Not sure about that. Every country has its idiots. England no more, no less than elsewhere, in my view.

What do you mean you hate to admit you're English?

I also turned my back on my birthplace ( England ) in the mid 90's but no way I am ashamed of my nationality. Just don't want to go back there. Its pile of poo.

I think you need to get out more.

For some reason you also seem to be ashamed of riding motorbikes. :rolleyes: Just no pleasing some is there.

Anyway, back on topic........James Hunt rules!

On no :o

You,ve just redeemed yourself with your last post.......I love bikes too.

I pretend to be The Toe Cutter from Mad Max 1 every time I get on my bike.

I have a Yamaha Fino in Thailand, well my wife does.

But.

Ride a Triumph everyday, day in , day out, rain or shine, doing battle with the endless streams of the enemy ( cars ) here in Singapore.

On no :o

You,ve just redeemed yourself with your last post.......I love bikes too.

I pretend to be The Toe Cutter from Mad Max 1 every time I get on my bike.

I have a Yamaha Fino in Thailand, well my wife does.

But.

Ride a Triumph everyday, day in , day out, rain or shine, doing battle with the endless streams of the enemy ( cars ) here in Singapore.

I hate admitting I"m English as the vast majority of English people here are people I go out of my way to avoid... The Americans I meet here aren't keen to let anyone know their nationality either!

One of those unfortunate things.

Unless the Americans you know call themsleves Canadians or have a really good ,non-American accent ( or they are Johnny Dep ), I would think its difficult to dodge their original nationality when speaking to other people.

I,m from Sheffield by the way, don't go there as its crap, but I always tell people where I'm from as I have no real embarrasment about it.

I,ve driven through Dewsbury Mosha but never stopped there.

But its general Englang thing, I think its the last resort personally. Took me years to leave properly.

I,ve driven through Dewsbury Mosha but never stopped there.

But its general Englang thing, I think its the last resort personally. Took me years to leave properly.

I was just back there and have to say i love it... for a holiday anyway.

Gorgeous weather, pub gardens, pints, roast dinners, clean air, no traffic jams, quality TV, respectful driving, queueing without pushing in....

I know that living and working there would be a different story, but if i was rich enough i'd definitely split my time between here and there.

People seem to love trash talking the UK. Myself, i just don't get it. Sure, it's not perfect. And where is?

Sorry, terribly off topic.