Driving With Lights On At Daytime

Semper

I am leaving Thailand and can sell you my Police Badge which goes on the grill.

it has enabled me to charge right through police road blocks at high speeds, and get a salute! I shit you not.

its worth the 5,000 baht im asking for it.

the only problem is, you need a nice expensive car to make it look real.

I dont think soooooo. I have seen many on Isuzu and Toyota pickups. Some driven by uniformed people, some by civilian clothes

My question is whats the difference between the windshield sticker, and the badge that goes on the grill??

The similarity is that both are illegal to use for non Police. There are actually so many Police pretenders now, its beeing discussed on thai websites how to deal with them. I was pulled over a week ago, and despite Highwaypolice stickers on my car, officer insisted to see my Highwaypolice ID card.

Back on topic

all countries I know have made daytime light mandatory, accident have been reduced significantly.

Motocy daytime lights where made mandatory in LOS approx 6 years ago, and lights made auto on same time. Since then traffic has doubled in Phuket, which should double number of accident, but fatal accidents have been reduced from aprox 350 to 250 a year.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<br />
<br />I wish there was an enforced law to use lights at night time!<br /><br />In some states of Australia it is part of official safety strategy campaigns to turn on your lights in daytime on highways.<br />
<br />Some countries in Northern Europe have by law forced cars to drive with their lights on for a generation now. Not surprisingly, the law clearly reduced accidents<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Please - let's hear it from the Swedes!

I believe theirs was the first nation to make headlight use in daytime mandatory. I was in Europe at the time and recall that all Swedes immediately obeyed and the reduction in accidents (in an already very law abiding nation) was dramatic.

However I've been told recently that the effect didn't last long. "All cars with lights on have pretty much the same effect as all cars with lights off, in other words no effect at all" said someone who has driven there.

I tend against daylight headlights. Too many are carelessly left on main beam and are a menace, and I believe it boosts aggression in less mature road users.

One other factor which almost caught me out 2 weeks ago:

I waited to turn right into a major road in daylight. All clear to my left. Coming along from my right was a big bunch of motorcycles, all with their headlights on. (Amazing, I thought, why can't they do that at night??!!).

Anyway, the last of the bunch did NOT have his headlight on and so was almost totally hidden by the others. I JUST avoided his rear number plate as I began to pull out. Deceptive!

OK - all yours to shoot me down now.............

Sweden is one of the most boring countries I know but they do know how to run statistics. There is statistics on everything and it's often the full 'population' the numbers are based on, not x% sampling

Headlights on showed a dramatic reduction in number of accidents, it was not only temporary, statistics clearly shows a permanent long-term reduction in number of accidents

all countries I know have made daytime light mandatory, accident have been reduced significantly.

Motocy daytime lights where made mandatory in LOS approx 6 years ago, and lights made auto on same time. Since then traffic has doubled in Phuket, which should double number of accident, but fatal accidents have been reduced from aprox 350 to 250 a year.

I remember my own chemistry teacher teaching me that if you double the amount of accellerant in the same liquid volume then you quadruple the process speed

Same with cars on the road, if you double the number of cars on the same stretch of road, then you actually quadruple the risk of them bouncing into each other. Headlights on really works to save lives.

I drove from Loei to Bangkok again yesterday, lights on all day as usual and would you believe it, not a single car blinked at me. Perfectly legal and getting more accepted too

I agree that it is a good idea to use your headlamps - especially on dull days or dawn and dusk. It seems common practice in Thailand to leave the lights off until it is practically dark. <br>I guess they only take into account the "active part" - i.e. "I can see" rather than the passive role "I can be seen".<br>However I read somewhere that in CAMBODIA it was illegal to use your lights in daytime as you may be mistaken for police emergency vehicle or VIP.THis is of course is a ridiculous concept - and as such there would be every likelihood that the same law exists in Thailand.<br>to see how effective turning your headlights on one only has to look at the motorcycles at dawn and dusk to see how they "stick out" with their lights on.<br>I would also suggest that it is doubly important in Thailand as the amount of tinting allowed severely restricts driver vision as the light fades.<br><br>However the use use of "spot lamps" and those rear "fog" lamps should be punishable by death or worse.

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"></div><div><br></div><div>countries like Canada and Sweden which are in high northern latitudes have long ago gone for a "lights on " policy, but this is largely due to the poor light forr a large part of the year as well as the transitional effects to the eye caused by driving from low sunlight (in your eyes) into dark stretches of road that are in the shade of forestry.</div>

Edited by Deeral

Daytime running lights have been mandatory in Canada on cars for more than 20 years now, motorcycles for about 40 years. You can not buy or import a car in Canada without them.

finally .saved me the trouble...And of course one does still get the occasional flash in the southern US and Mexico. I think there is a cpmmon perception by many drivers here that that is economical not to use lights at all..especially tail lights on motorbikes.

on a lighter note...quite disconcerting when I first lived in the boonies here and saw this brilliant blinding "motorcycle?" headlight approaching at about 2m off the ground...the rider was wearing his rubber cutting headlight

• 7 months later...

Sweden in any case is a different scenario it can be very dim indeed in winter daytime

I tend against daylight headlights.

Thank God for that.

What's even worse are the morons with their foglights on at night, about one in four cars. This seems to be the latest substitute for a half decent penis.

Because foglights are low they tend to shine too high.

Also annoying is the high light positioning on the Fortuner and large pickup size motors. I think the lights should be the same height as on a normal saloon car. It's a pain in the ass having one behind you at the lights, and at any tine they seem to often glare with the lightest bump or when you're to their left of centre as they come round a bend or the lights.

In Britain at least it's against the law to use foglights with no fog....... it's a ticket offence.

As for halogen lights they're rarely other than a bad antisocial joke.

Edited by cheeryble

Dim Dip Headlights are O.K..Rear Fogs should be banned on clear days or nights, along with Thai Prats who put red bulbs on the front of any vehicle. Pick Ups should have their lights set fully loaded, and if their too low empty , tough shit, its a cart not a limo. Cheery makes a good sumary..:D

They just think you are stupid for having your lights on, at least you know they have seen you.

Exactly my point. So lights on it is. :)

Yep they're just trying to be courteous to let you know you're a silly bugger as I would were you back in the west.. But here I don't bother as I'd wear out my headlight switch especially at night plus I have to shift gears once in a while :ph34r: .

They just think you are stupid for having your lights on, at least you know they have seen you.

Yep they're just trying to be courteous to let you know you're a silly bugger as I would were you back in the west.. But here I don't bother as I'd wear out my headlight switch especially at night plus I have to shift gears once in a while :ph34r: .

My old Volvo had lights on all the time, a built in safety feature way back then. :)

My old Volvo had lights on all the time, a built in safety feature way back then. :)

That's not supporting my point and you mentioned your Volvo :annoyed: .. Seriously though, seldom on models in the US but should be on if raining and at least 45 minutes to an hour before sunset not hours after the sun goes down, if at all?? I always have my driving lights on when it rains or just before it gets dark and same only use my rear rain light for heavy rain and then shut it off, we don't have those stateside either and it's not consistent on all models here so it took awhile to even get used to having one but I feel it's bonus feature I'm happy to have.

Who wouldnt love a Volvo. I bought a Big Electric Blue Barge Estate GLE , on impulse one Saturday Lunch time, the Mrs loved it, real leather seats, top end ,it was only about 14K back then. Ben Elton used Volvo drivers as a but of his Jokes. On that score i agreed, the drivers were Pompous Prats generally. Like SOME Tuna / Cruze drivers here..:D .

That's not supporting my point and you mentioned your Volvo :annoyed: .. Seriously though, seldom on models in the US but should be on if raining and at least 45 minutes to an hour before sunset not hours after the sun goes down, if at all?? I always have my driving lights on when it rains or just before it gets dark and same only use my rear rain light for heavy rain and then shut it off, we don't have those stateside either and it's not consistent on all models here so it took awhile to even get used to having one but I feel it's bonus feature I'm happy to have.

Think Volvo incorporated the mandatory light thing for those who are brain dead. Sure Kat will confirm or tell us all. :)

Did l read here sometime ago that a guy was pulled by the BiB for lights on, something to do with only Police, government, or Royalty vehicles could so that others new they were important and to let them pass :unsure:

Obviously not the same topic you were referring to.

However remember replying to a post a few months ago where it's stated, that a ticket was received, for driving a car with lights on during daytime. :crazy:

Did l read here sometime ago that a guy was pulled by the BiB for lights on, something to do with only Police, government, or Royalty vehicles could so that others new they were important and to let them pass :unsure:

well, thats why I have my Highwaypolice sticker in the windshield and lights on, in heavy traffic even fog lights and low beam on. and it works :)

but there is no law against daytime driving lights, and several new Euros like Audi and Benz have diode daytime lights not possible to switch off

all Police convoys use daytime lights, usually high beam

So, where can I get one?

apply and complete a Highwaypolice Volunteer course :)

' Semper ' Highway police volunteer, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Daytime running lights have been mandatory in Canada on cars for more than 20 years now, motorcycles for about 40 years. You can not buy or import a car in Canada without them.

Finally indeed.

The company I work for often runs Alberta vehicles down to our Texas office. We still get pulled over and get told to turn our lights off!! When told that we can't they look on it as some sort of Government agenda to infringe on personal rights.

I run with my lights on here most of the time, I'm used to them coming on by themselves and sometimes forget.

Sweden in any case is a different scenario it can be very dim indeed in winter daytime

Thank God for that.

What's even worse are the morons with their foglights on at night, about one in four cars. This seems to be the latest substitute for a half decent penis.

Also annoying is the high light positioning on the Fortuner and large pickup size motors. I think the lights should be the same height as on a normal saloon car. It's a pain in the ass having one behind you at the lights, and at any tine they seem to often glare with the lightest bump or when you're to their left of centre as they come round a bend or the lights.

In Britain at least it's against the law to use foglights with no fog....... it's a ticket offence.

Surprised no-one has commented.....can I presume no-one from this forum does this annoying practise?

May I ask.....why does anyone want to have lights on in the day?

Canada, like Sweden, is on a high latitude and can have very dim light indeed.......and it's daily with the very protracted dawn and dusk which we don't get here.

Almost by definition if you draw attention to one particular object (like by having four lights instead of two, or intensely bright halogen,) you diminish attention to the objects around it......which might be a vulnerable motorbike or cyclist or pedestrian.

Edited by cheeryble

Thank God for that.

Surprised no-one has commented.....can I presume no-one from this forum does this annoying practise?

Canada, like Sweden, is on a high latitude and can have very dim light indeed.......and it's daily with the very protracted dawn and dusk which we don't get here.

Almost by definition if you draw attention to one particular object (like by having four lights instead of two, or intensely bright halogen,) you diminish attention to the objects around it......which might be a vulnerable motorbike or cyclist or pedestrian.

To increase safety

Even countries close to equator like Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece have found stats from daytime running lights overwhelming, and your view on it is not on par with any study

As for Halogen light, dont know where you r going but ALL cars in TH have Halogen or the even brighter HID/Xenon lights. ALL, to improve safety

All studies past 4 decades show daytime lights improves safety for bikers and pedestrians too.

Driving with your lights on all the time is a great visibility booster, I do it all the time, just pretend those thai drivers flashing at you are warning you of a speed trap up ahead, slow down, another safe idea. Like many before have said, at least they see you.emot-kiss.gif

Thank God for that.

Load of rubbish, so a ride with a larey paint job is a danger to other road users too, as we will all be looking at it :rolleyes:.

In Isaan you have ma & pa who cannot afford spectacles driving old trucks, can't see were they are going so lights are an aid for them to see ME.

:cheesy:

well, thats why I have my Highwaypolice sticker in the windshield and lights on, in heavy traffic even fog lights and low beam on. and it works :)

but there is no law against daytime driving lights, and several new Euros like Audi and Benz have diode daytime lights not possible to switch off

So, where can I get one?

I am leaving Thailand and can sell you my Police Badge which goes on the grill.

it has enabled me to charge right through police road blocks at high speeds, and get a salute! I shit you not.

its worth the 5,000 baht im asking for it.

the only problem is, you need a nice expensive car to make it look real.

:cheesy:

I had one on my Bimmer when I first came here and it took me a while to figure out why I was getting such looks and preferential treatment, didn't pay for parking in most lots for a couple of years and got ushered to reserved spaces even. I found out after we got familiar with our neighbors it was not only a police badge as I suspected but it was upper level rank to boot.. Never thought about removing it at the time we sold the car but in retrospect I guess I should have :( ... Another potential advantage to buying a second hand car here, never even think about doing that back home big trouble :( ..

Thank God for that.

Day time lights for motorcycles were made mandatory in Canada in the 70's. They were found to reduce accidents signifigantly so the law was carried over for all vehicles in the mid 80's. Also found to reduce accidents due to greater visiblity. It's got bugger all to do with Canada being a northern country. In the summer you don't have low light conditions when it's daylight 16+ hours a day. It's stricly a safety factor and it's been proven to work.

Lots of trucking companies and oil companies mandated lights on before it was compulsory and were awarded insurance benefits because of it.

Personally I'm happy to draw attention to myself when driving here. I honk when I pass motorcycles or when they come charging out from side roads, that draws attention too and also works.

17 years on the road here and accident free.

So, where can I get one?

me too... lol. I was eating at a Phuket main road the other day, waiting for my food when I heard what sounded like a police siren, I looked and looked.. then realized it was coming from a scooter with a helmetless Thai young man who looked like he was having fun...

Doesnt bother me much,folks never follow the rules, so you interpret them as they come at you.My Beef are those Halloween Pumkins called reversing lights..Why they dont fit more powerfull ones beats me. I ve put 2 Fog Spots behind the rear wheels.At least the Camera now works at night.

This is just a tip for you guys running with the lights on. Umm one there flashing there lights at you to tell you the your lights are on. two its a way for trucks to comunicate that there is a crash ahead. third two tell other truck drivers that there is highway patrol up ahead, flashing to acknowledge you.

Edited by Boss3102