Council there is no need for outside mediation to resolve a deadly

border conflict with Cambodia, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said

Sunday.

He said Thailand was confident that it could make a strong case at the

closed-door meeting in New York on Monday to show that Phnom Penh

sparked the standoff over disputed territory, which has left eight

people dead.

"We're confident that we can explain that (Cambodia's claims) are

wrong," he said in his weekly television address.

"Cambodia is calling for (intervention by) a third country, the UN and

peacekeeping forces. Thailand will call for a return to bilateral

talks on demarcation," he said.

Thailand will present evidence including pictures and media reports to

support its case and show that Cambodia used an ancient temple at the

centre of the dispute as a military base, he added.

Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya is due to attend Monday's Security

Council meeting, along with his Cambodian counterpart Hor Namhong.

Thailand and Cambodia have blamed each other for the clashes around

the ancient temple of Preah Vihear, which sparked four days of

fighting earlier this month.

Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen sought an urgent Security Council

meeting and called for a UN buffer force to be put in place. Thailand

has repeatedly said the dispute should settled between the two

countries.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-02-13

Exactly what you would expect from Thailand. It seems they just don't need anyone's help or advice. Lets hope they don't have to come cap in hand later and lose face over it.

jb1

I am afraid that the wrong headedness and arrogance of the Thai Government will mean paying a price - though I don't think it will get to the UNSC, even granting that the silly Cambodians have risen to the bait predictably.

A quote from another forum:

"It is the Thai Government’s contempt for international law that is bringing it into disrepute amongst civilised countries. It doesn’t matter that the attacks on Cambodia are unlikely to have been ordered by any Thai Government, but are the work of an out-of-control army faction. That the Thai Government has gone along with this criminal behaviour is what will count against it in the forum of the UN Security Council."

Just more evidence of the puerile and immature nature of the Thai establishment, trying and failing to manipulate nationalist fervour to serve its internal political purpose.

Jesus C. It's not "Thailand" that is rejecting the help. It's Abhisit that is rejecting it. Why can't this guy get it through his thick skull that nobody wants him any more. Why would Thai people put a decission like this up to a run down PM struggling to stay in when he knows dam_n well that if he disolved the house and had an election now that he would LOSE.

He's making some pretty hard core decisions for a guy who isn't even supposed to be in power.

All he has done is blame everyone else except his own government for EVERYTHING that has gone bad. Does he really believe that he is not responsable for ANYTHING?

Why would anyone ask for help from America right now seeing the state they have got themselves into lately (no pun to Americans).

Isn't this a muslim temple anyways? And isn't Abhisit a Muslim?

Why would Thai people put a decission like this up to a run down PM struggling to stay in when he knows dam_n well that if he disolved the house and had an election now that he would LOSE.

50.7% - Democrats

33.0% - Pheu Thai

16.0% - Other

If a general election was held today, slightly more than half of respondents surveyed by Abac poll said they would vote for the Democrat Party to form the next government, according to survey results released yesterday.

The survey showed both the ruling Democrat Party and the Opposition Pheu Thai Party would not win enough seats to allow either to form a one-party government, Abac poll director Noppadon Kannikar said.

Noppadon said the smaller parties would decide who would get to form the next government if a general election was held now.

A total of 4,312 respondents took part in the survey, conducted from September 1-25.

Of 4,312 respondents, 50.7 said they had decided to support the Democrats, 33 per cent said they would opt for Pheu Thai and 16 per cent preferred other parties.

Additionally:

Since the last election, the Democrat party has increased its lawmakers in Parliament to 172 from 165 through by-elections, while the pro-Thaksin Puea Thai has seen its seat tally reduced to 187 from 233 because of defections and disqualifications. Thaksin has lived overseas since fleeing a jail sentence in 2008, and Puea Thai lacks a clear leader.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-30/thai-coalition-ahead-in-polls-ready-for-election-abhisit-says.html

And isn't Abhisit a Muslim?

I thought he was of the Druid faith... :rolleyes:

Re:

50.7% - Democrats

33.0% - Pheu Thai

16.0% - Other

Can somebody tell me where this poll was taken, did anyone from Issan even know about the poll, or just the few living and working in Bangkok.

If a Poll is to be fair, it should include results from all Thailand. Including all potential voters.

Kiwijor

Re:

50.7% - Democrats

33.0% - Pheu Thai

16.0% - Other

Can somebody tell me where this poll was taken, did anyone from Issan even know about the poll, or just the few living and working in Bangkok.

If a Poll is to be fair, it should include results from all Thailand. Including all potential voters.

Kiwijor

The poll covered all regions of Thailand.

Further details of the poll are available on the thread for which the link is provided within the post.

Here we go again..... and again it pops up.....

" FACE "

Why is it that too many of the Thai population, think that it is bad having someone to offering and accepting a helping hand. Thailand politicos really have to grow up and start thinking of the good of the country and not of the financial returns to themselves and their groups.

What I really do not understand is that some posters seem to bring a lot of emotion, a lot of feeling, but not any facts and even less truth in their posts.

I do hope that the poster who posted the temple being Muslim and or Abhisit being Muslim, was trying to be funny and not serious.

Re:

50.7% - Democrats

33.0% - Pheu Thai

16.0% - Other

Kiwijor

The poll covered all regions of Thailand.

Further details of the poll are available on the thread for which the link is provided within the post.

I'm sure Buchholz is aware of the imperfect nature of these polls - however, in the absence of any other attempt at information, it's the best we have.

Nonetheless, I would probably draw attention away from the numbers given and focus more on the comment that "both the ruling Democrat Party and the Opposition Pheu Thai Party would not win enough seats to allow either to form a one-party government". Business as usual in that respect.

I think I said this before. Any strong nation would reject assistance. If you had a fight with your brother, would you want to settle your differences in a mature way or cry mommy? Cambodia can communicate with Thailand bi-laterally. That is what Thailand has opened the opportunity to. Cambodia will get world audience anyway. what's the big deal? People around the world would bad-mouth Thailand if we don't keep to our words and act with total fairness.