Orphanages

oldsailor35

The textile industry here is very protected.

Customs duties are around 200%.

They will assign a value to each and every item.

They will make up the value,

regardless if it has a original sales tag affixed.

Then calc the total of the pieces.

Then add the shipping costs.

Then calc VAT on that sum.

And hand you a bill, smiling all the while.

Several years back,

A friend back home sent two outfits for our newborn.

By FedEx.

Price tags attached, total orginal cost 20 USD.

FedEx was to collect 200 USD per customs.

I refused the shipment.

Never ship any textiles into Thailand.

<br />The textile industry here is very protected.<br />Customs duties are around 200%.<br />They will assign a value to each and every item.<br />They will make up the value, <br />regardless if it has a original sales tag affixed.<br />Then calc the total of the pieces.<br />Then add the shipping costs.<br />Then calc VAT on that sum.<br />And hand you a bill, smiling all the while.<br /><br />Several years back, <br />A friend back home sent two outfits for our newborn.<br />By FedEx.<br />Price tags attached, total orginal cost 20 USD.<br />FedEx was to collect 200 USD per customs.<br />I refused the shipment.<br /><br />Never ship any textiles into Thailand.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

While you are correct "doing it that way", there is another far simpler way with no financial risk to the giver or the recipient.

Simply POST the parcel to a known friend in Thailand, ideally a Thai MALE name and enclose a note (in Thai or English) addressed to him, saying these are free USED gifts for poor Thai people.

My friends and i ran a winter clothing appeal for poor Thai and hilltribe people in the north for over 10 years and - no problem - and it still works with occasional overseas donations. If you want a totally reliable address in the north, PM me giving your own e-mail address.

<br />The textile industry here is very protected.<br />Customs duties are around 200%.<br />They will assign a value to each and every item.<br />They will make up the value, <br />regardless if it has a original sales tag affixed.<br />Then calc the total of the pieces.<br />Then add the shipping costs.<br />Then calc VAT on that sum.<br />And hand you a bill, smiling all the while.<br /><br />Several years back, <br />A friend back home sent two outfits for our newborn.<br />By FedEx.<br />Price tags attached, total orginal cost 20 USD.<br />FedEx was to collect 200 USD per customs.<br />I refused the shipment.<br /><br />Never ship any textiles into Thailand.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

While you are correct "doing it that way", there is another far simpler way with no financial risk to the giver or the recipient.

Simply POST the parcel to a known friend in Thailand, ideally a Thai MALE name and enclose a note (in Thai or English) addressed to him, saying these are free USED gifts for poor Thai people.

My friends and i ran a winter clothing appeal for poor Thai and hilltribe people in the north for over 10 years and - no problem - and it still works with occasional overseas donations. If you want a totally reliable address in the north, PM me giving your own e-mail address.

Many thanks Flatout..............Problem solved as the person running the orphanage in particular is a man who is in fact an ordained monk from the Phillippines although he does not get about in the saffron, but dresses normal casual, and all the clothes are second hand (used)