Hitler And Candy

Somtamnication

I am not a politically correct person. Never have been. I tolerate a lot, particularly in Thailand. One of the very few things that sets me off is ignorance, particularly in a business.

Can someone here tell me what the message is being conveyed to kids and locals with these pics? I am at a loss to explain their business message.

post-53467-0-32075600-1297589530_thumb.j

post-53467-0-58808500-1297589547_thumb.j

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in the west if we can now have Nazi era comedies like the tv show Hogan's Heroes (a long time ago), The Producers ("Springtime for Hitler in Germany") and more recently Inglorious Basterds, I don't think this cute little Hitler icon is really a big deal. It wouldn't hurt if Thais were more educated on global history, but you could say that about a lot of countries.

post-37101-0-33738500-1297592775_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

There is no business message. It is purely to catch the eye of shoppers wandering aimlessly around a shopping mall and hopefully to end up with their money.

As other posters have intimated or stated, Nazi Germany is far too chronologically, geographically, ethnically and culturally distant to possibly offend any Thais or for them to realise any offence may be caused. Hell, the majority of them think the USA and the UK are neighbouring countries.

There is a Nazi stuff in Thailand thing that does offend me. In Pattaya on occasion I have seen copy paintings for sale of heroic depictions of Hitler clearly for sale to Nazi sympathizers. Comedy is one thing, real Nazis are another. I don't know if these gems were commissioned or done on spec.

Interesting. Were these items in a shop? Could you give me the directions ? I'm a collector.

Yes openly displayed in painting copy shops. Recently one on Pattaya Tai and one of Thappraya. You can have anything copied there you like; I think most any shop would take your money.

There are some differences in cultures. Take the Swastika.

It was the Nazis that copied and misused that symbol and not the Asians who have used it for thousands of years.

First time I went to Vietnam I saw it all over the place.

There might be some harmless (though clearly offending some) meaning to this advert. Non PC Rules out here.

Oh please, don't be silly. There is no ancient Buddhist symbol of a Hitler image.

Its a ancient Chinese symbol

Yes, a kind of SWASTIKA is. Who said it wasn't? Back to the topic, actual references to Hitler and the Nazi era, not related to Asian origin swastikas, ok?

<br />There are some differences in cultures. Take the Swastika. <br />It was the Nazis that copied and misused that symbol and not the Asians who have used it for thousands of years.<br />First time I went to Vietnam I saw it all over the place.<br /><br />There might be some harmless (though clearly offending some) meaning to this advert. Non PC Rules out here.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Although JT doesn't seem to like to acknowledge the fact, the Swastika was around in Eastern religion centuries before the nazis copied it as their logo.

Never actually seen them in Viet Nam but I suppose if you went to a Chinese temple there's a chance there might be one.

North Viet Nam seems to be mostly covered in churches and crosses.

<br />
<br />
<br />Oh please, don't be silly. There is no ancient Buddhist symbol of a Hitler image.<br />
<br /><br /><br />Its a ancient Chinese symbol<br />
Yes, a kind of SWASTIKA is. Who said it wasn't? Back to the topic, actual references to Hitler and the Nazi era, not related to Asian origin swastikas, ok?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The foties in the OP make no reference to and show no symbolism of the nazi era at all, they just show emoticons.

LoL all of the other candies represent some kind of emotion, happy, sad, shocked, ect. I wonder how a candy is supposed to make you feel Hitlerish???

What you eat it and all of a sudden you want to take over the world or what?

Oh please, don't be silly. There is no ancient Buddhist symbol of a Hitler image.

The image of Hitler is actually an ancient Chinese symbol? .

Oh yes. The Chinese character for war depicts a little face with the hair combed across the forehead and a toothbrush moustache. It's very easy to get it mixed up with the character for slapstick, which is quite similar. In the past this has often caused the Chinese to mistakenly declare Charlie Chaplin on their enemies.

As other posters have intimated or stated, Nazi Germany is far too chronologically, geographically, ethnically and culturally distant to possibly offend any Thais or for them to realise any offence may be caused. Hell, the majority of them think the USA and the UK are neighbouring countries.

I must admit for somebody so revered I could make a small fortune betting 1000 baht a pop asking the majority of locals where HMK was born.

Edited by mca

LoL all of the other candies represent some kind of emotion, happy, sad, shocked, ect. I wonder how a candy is supposed to make you feel Hitlerish???

What you eat it and all of a sudden you want to take over the world or what?

No. In Thailand, 'Hitler' means 'a fierce and unkind person'.

The image of Hitler is actually an ancient Chinese symbol?

Oh yes. The Chinese character for war depicts a little face with the hair combed across the forehead and a toothbrush moustache. It's very easy to get it mixed up with the character for slapstick, which is quite similar. In the past this has often caused the Chinese to mistakenly declare Charlie Chaplin on their enemies.

:cheesy:

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Oh please, don't be silly. There is no ancient Buddhist symbol of a Hitler image.<br />
<br /><br /><br />Its a ancient Chinese symbol<br />
Yes, a kind of SWASTIKA is. Who said it wasn't? Back to the topic, actual references to Hitler and the Nazi era, not related to Asian origin swastikas, ok?<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />The foties in the OP make no reference to and show no symbolism of the nazi era at all, they just show emoticons.<br />

The emoticon doesn't even make any attempt to look like Hitler.

Although JT doesn't seem to like to acknowledge the fact, the Swastika was around in Eastern religion centuries before the nazis copied it as their logo.

Not even close! Any educated person knows about the Asian origin swastikas. It's not a matter of like or not like. In the issue presented by the OP, however, there is no ambiguous meaning swastika, there is a clearly presented and LABELED image of Hitler. It really annoys me when people completely distort what I have said, so please focus on your own thoughts, and let me speak for myself.