Transfering Money To Uk

I am in the UK at present and my wife is in Thailand we are in the process of selling our house in Thailand and want to transfer the money into my account in the UK.The amount will be about 1.5 million Baht.Does anyone know if I will have a problem being able to transfer and the best way of doing it.

The fastest method to transfer Bank to Bank would be to ask your Bank to do a SWIFT transfer of the funds. While there is likely to be fees of around 500 baht at the Thai end and 20 pounds at the UK end you will have access to your money in the UK within 24/48 hours.

You will be asked what the source of the funds were and did you bring them into Thailand originally to purchase the property. You will need to produce evidence of that. If you have that documentation along with your passport for ID reasons it should go smoothly

I transferred 650,000 baht last week from my account at Bank of Ayudhya. A little bit of form filling but no questions asked as to where it came from or why I wanted to transfer it.

I did it in the afternoon, and the following morning I checked my UK bank account online and it was there. The fee was 1,700 baht.

Mc

Edited by McGinty

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update my wife has several bank accounts with different Thai banks in Ayutthaya but they all seemed reluctant to transfer money to the UK so I told her to speak to Bangkok Bank and they were happy to do a swift transfer.My wife duly opened an account with a cahiers cheque for the full amont and transfered it on Tuesday and it was in my bank the following day no questions asked.

Interesting....

A few years ago i had to send some money out of thailand back to the UK and got asked for lots of proof bringing it in to the country....

It was from the account where my salary goes so i just told them that was the source, still wanted to see a work contract & pay slips ( i work out side thailand ). Even with all this paperwork in place i was still not allowed to send more than $20K USD at one time & it was not as simple as going back the next day and doing the same again...

However, there are ways round this.

Depending on amount, the best way to do it is take cash...

JH