Radio Shack Or Equal?

SailingHome

Ban Mor (Ban Mo) area in Chinatown. From Old Siam Shopping Plaze to the klong is the electronics area but mostly small shops rather than Radio Shack type place.

There used to be an actual Radio Shack store across the street from Gayson Plaza area (shopping center where Erawan Hotel used to be). Not sure if still open or not.

Wow. Thanks all. I will check all of these out. The companies mentioned are in Thailand then? How about a cheap 1-off pcb manufacturer?

We produce our own boards in house but Futurlec has pcb manufacturing also but don't know the costs but looks straightforward to get a quote > PCB services

If it's a one off thing and not too complicated you may be better of making it yourself.

Toner transfer is easy and you can get great results with a bit of practice, otherwise photo sensitive resist is easily obtainable.

Edit: Photoresist dry film (I have a roll of it, but haven't gotten the urge to try it yet, always use toner transfer)

http://www.es.co.th/detail.asp?Prod=13800012

Anyways, get yourself to Ban Moh and walk around the area if you need to stock up on basic parts. Can't beat the price on the street. (100 pack resistors 10 Baht) The Electronic Source store is right around the corner if you need specific stuff or larger amounts.

Edited by Jdietz

Wow. Thanks all. I will check all of these out. The companies mentioned are in Thailand then? How about a cheap 1-off pcb manufacturer?

Zeer also has a multitude of electronic and computer services, 90 percent of the entire mall is devoted to electronics..

No equals, closest I've gotten is NPE... Zeer Rangsit and other locations, closest I've found yet in terms of quality and stock but admittedly haven't been to any near China town as the location kind of makes me think second rate at best..

Electronic parts

It so happens the area is also the retail diamond area of Chinatown so not exactly a slum. Those taking there wives may end up buying something more expensive than a resister. You might be very surprised what can be found in what appears to be a small Chinese shophouse. They have much better stock than any superstore if you know where to look.

So have you been to NPE? I think I made it clear I haven't been there for electronics yet, is that not a good enough disclaimer?? My point was the perception that goes with the name location, for me going downtown if not absolutely necessary is to be avoided at all costs and Zeer is only minutes from my house and most times has everything I need..

I did find a nice headlamp their once at one of the kiosks and some years later it disappeared so now I need another one but that alone is not enough reason for me to brave the stresses of finding parking spaces and traffic going downtown..

Anyways, get yourself to Ban Moh and walk around the area if you need to stock up on basic parts. Can't beat the price on the street. (100 pack resistors 10 Baht) The Electronic Source store is right around the corner if you need specific stuff or larger amounts.

So... Google maps shows Ban Moh nowhere near China Town. From the Chinatown decrative arch over the road, how do I walk to the section you mention? I have been to China Town before, but did not see electronics much at all.

Thx

Coming from Sukhumvit area, Bus 48 (airconditioned - yellow and regular fan (pink) lines) take you straight to the Old Siam shopping complex, a minute walk to Ban Moh. (16/8 Baht)

Alternatively, take the river boat to Memorial Bridge and walk 5 minutes to straight ahead.

Edited by Jdietz

So... Google maps shows Ban Moh nowhere near China Town. From the Chinatown decrative arch over the road, how do I walk to the section you mention? I have been to China Town before, but did not see electronics much at all.

Thx

Yes, another reason I suggested NPE easy to find, easy to drive to and easy to park..

Just a note to echo the point that you may be able to get components in Ban Mor that you would struggle to source in your own country. I got a hard to find voltage regulator chip for my Nokia 9600 there some years ago that I hadn't been able to get for love or money in the UK - and it worked.

>There used to be an actual Radio Shack store across the street from Gayson Plaza area (shopping center where Erawan Hotel used to be). Not sure if still open or not.

It is still there, but not called Radioshack anymore. Forgot the new name... sorry :-)