Boeing unveils new and eco-friendly 747-8 Intercontinental aircraft

News_Editor

Boeing unvelis new and eco-friendly 747-8 Intercontinental aircraft

2011-02-14 07:03:28 GMT+7 (ICT)

EVERETT, WASHINGTON (BNO NEWS) -- Boeing on Sunday unveiled its new 747-8 Intercontinental, a new high-capacity passenger airplane that offers airlines renewed lower operating costs while providing enhanced environmental performance.

The 747-8 Intercontinental will have the lowest seat-mile cost of any large commercial jetliner, with 12 percent lower costs than its predecessor, the 747-400.

In addition, the airplane provides 16 percent better fuel economy, 16 percent less carbon emissions per passenger and generates a 30 percent smaller noise footprint than the 747-400.

The 747-8 Intercontinental also applies interior features from the 787 Dreamliner that includes a new curved, upswept architecture giving passengers a greater feeling of space and comfort, while adding more room for personal belongings.

The airplane unveiled on Sunday was painted in a new Sunrise livery of red-orange that only will appear on the first 747-8 Intercontinental and is a significant departure from Boeing's standard blue. The company said the new color palette was designed to honor many key Boeing customers whose cultures recognize these colors as symbols of prosperity and good luck.

Approximately 10,000 guests, including customers, Boeing employees, government officials, partners and suppliers, gathered in the factory in Everett, Washington, to witness the premiere of the Intercontinental at an event themed "Incredible, Again."

Korean Air and VIP customers have joined launch customer Lufthansa in ordering a total of 33 747-8 Intercontinentals. First delivery of the 747-8 Intercontinental is scheduled for the fourth quarter.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-02-14

Ok, better than prior polluting planes, but still 'greewash' PR statement.

It's like saying, 'if I dump five barrels of waste oil on your front lawn, that's better than if I dumped six barrels of waste oil.'

People should think deeply, each time they consider taking a plane anywhere. Is it really important to make that trip? I don't take plane trips unless I essentially can't avoid it, because of the polluting factor inherent in every trip for every person.

It's like saying, 'if I dump five barrels of waste oil on your front lawn, that's better than if I dumped six barrels of waste oil.'

People should think deeply, each time they consider taking a plane anywhere. Is it really important to make that trip? I don't take plane trips unless I essentially can't avoid it, because of the polluting factor inherent in every trip for every person.

I agree with what you say. I have thought about swimming from Thailand to America every year, but I was concerned that my arms might get tired. I guess I'll just take the train from BKK to LAX, but I'm still confused as to what track that leaves from. I can't say I have ever gotten on a plane and rode it just for the "fun of it". Usually when I spend that kind of money it is important to take the trip.

Edited by ThaiRich

I agree with what you say. I have thought about swimming from Thailand to America every year, but I was concerned that my arms might get tired. I guess I'll just take the train from BKK to LAX, but I'm still confused as to what track that leaves from. I can't say I have ever gotten on a plane and rode it just for the "fun of it". Usually when I spend that kind of money it is important to take the trip.

Cute response. Still, many many people take plane trips for frivolous reasons.

ThaiRich, just love your sense of humor. Thanks for a big laugh.:cheesy:

Cute response. Still, many many people take plane trips for frivolous reasons.

Frivolous? For short trips between cities perhaps but not the journeys these 747-8s are designed for.