Almost Expired Thai Passport

Hi, haven't been in here in years, thought this would be the best place to ask. I've found this thread:

but was wondering whether this is still relevant as my Thai Mother in Law, currently living as a permanent resident in Perth has a passport that is due to expire in August '11. We are going on holiday the month before in July and most likely due to misunderstandings with her Thai friends, she's been told she must travel 6 months before it expires. I've said this makes no sense, a passport that hasn't expired yet, hasn't expired yet. Anyone here heard about anything like this? We'll be stopping over in Singapore first (on her not yet expired passport) if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Tony

She wont have any problem going to Thailand as she is Thai and could travel back on an expired passport. But you indicated that she is laying over in Singapore, there she may have a problem.

yes that's pretty much what the other thread mentioned, so if the passport is 1 month from being expired, would Singapore have a problem with it?

TIA