F16 Crashes In Chaiyaphum

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^3 over the last few months, the last one killed the pilot..

^^Gripens.....Not sure how many of those they have yet, the order is only months old..

Thai pilotas are already training in Sweden for couple months and delivery of first few Gripens should be in next few weeks or months ... or maybe some are here already ...

Every airforce has crashes...

Yes but they now have lost, in a short time, 2 of their 5 air force planes. Not a good average eh. :rolleyes::lol:

Apologies if it was a joke, but Thailand does have considerably more than 5 planes if I piece together things I have read in 5 years here.

4 or 5 F5s are based at Ubon International Airport and regularly buzz the area. I think they must be F5s because when one went down about a year or so ago, the TV thread discussed how ancient those Ubon planes are. Incidentally maybe that is why Ubon feels it is entitled to call itself 'International', because they occasionally stray over Cambodian airspace on peasant-frightening missions :rolleyes:

I remember also reading on TV about 6months ago that an F16 went down somewhere - over Khao Yai area I think.

I am not a plane junkie so have no idea how many Thailand has but there must be more bases than Ubon, Korat and U-Tapao (I'm making assumptions that there are active planes at the latter two) - there's planes at Don Meuang aren't there? Must be a few bases in the South too.

Anyway, that makes four down in 12 months (maybe plus a month or two) by my reckoning. All on training missions. Somebody should have some explaining to do about the pilot culture and skill level in the Thai Airforce.

Air force investigating why two F-16s crashed

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_19248.jpg

The Air Force yesterday could not confirm that two F16 fighter jets that crashed together in Chaiyaphum that morning had been involved in a midair collision.

"A committee has already been formed to find out the cause of the accidents," spokesman Air Vice Marshal Monthon Satchanukorn said.

"Pilots, witnesses, weather conditions and other evidence will let us know what caused the crashes," he said. "The investigation is ongoing."

The mainstay aircraft of the Air Force were participating in the annual Cobra Gold multinational military exercise.

The two pilots, Squadron Leader Krissana Sukjan and Flying Officer Chanchanon Promdej, ejected safely.

"The engine malfunctioned for an unknown reason," Krissana said.

Thailand acquired these warplanes in 2000 from the United States, which had decommissioned them. However, they should remain in usable condition for at least 15 years with proper maintenance.

Krissana's F16 veered into Phulanka Mountain in Wangphon village of Mueang district. The other jet smashed up just a little over a kilometre away. Locals said they heard repeated explosions from the forestland where these two planes fell.

Monthon said four F16s left a military base in Nakhon Ratchasima for the Cobra Gold exercise. "But about 10.20am, two of them disappeared from the radar screen," he said.

A rescue mission was launched immediately with the backup of helicopters and vehicles, he said.

Chaiyaphum Governor Jarin Jakkapak said up to 100 soldiers and police were taking part in the operation.

After the pilots were located, a helicopter picked them up at about 10am and took them back to Nakhon Ratchasima, while bombdisposal teams were dispatched to the wreckage to defuse the weapons, he said.

"The destruction of the explosives is necessary to ensure that locals in the area will be safe."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-15

Incidentally maybe that is why Ubon feels it is entitled to call itself 'International', because they occasionally stray over Cambodian airspace on peasant-frightening missions :rolleyes:

I thought these were 'pheasant-frightening missions', helping flush out some game-birds, for the army to practise firing-at ? :o:rolleyes:

The Royal Thai Air Force will conduct as accident investigation to look at all the possible causes of the accident. For those who have been in the air force they know the Operations folks will initially suspect (try to blame) aircraft maintenance, but when two aircraft bump into each other while in flight it's almost always pilot error. Somebody won't be getting promoted for quite a while.

I see in today's Nation, one of the pilots in the accident said, "The engine malfunctioned for an unknown reason."

An engine failure is definitely possible as I happens often in the aircraft fighter world, but for the failure to cause that aircraft to bump into another aircraft may not be as plausible unless the aircraft were flying too close together, in an unauthorized formation, or doing an unauthorized maneuver. But most anything is possible in an aircraft accident/incident. Hopefully, the aircraft investigation board will find the core reason(s) for the accident. And definitely good both pilots ejected safely.

By The Nation

The Air Force yesterday could not confirm that two F16 fighter jets that crashed together in Chaiyaphum that morning had been involved in a midair collision.

"A committee has already been formed to find out the cause of the accidents," spokesman Air Vice Marshal Monthon Satchanukorn said.

"Pilots, witnesses, weather conditions and other evidence will let us know what caused the crashes," he said. "The investigation is ongoing."

The mainstay aircraft of the Air Force were participating in the annual Cobra Gold multinational military exercise.

The two pilots, Squadron Leader Krissana Sukjan and Flying Officer Chanchanon Promdej, ejected safely.

Thailand acquired these warplanes in 2000 from the United States, which had decommissioned them. However, they should remain in usable condition for at least 15 years with proper maintenance.

Krissana's F16 veered into Phulanka Mountain in Wangphon village of Mueang district. The other jet smashed up just a little over a kilometre away. Locals said they heard repeated explosions from the forestland where these two planes fell.

Monthon said four F16s left a military base in Nakhon Ratchasima for the Cobra Gold exercise. "But about 10.20am, two of them disappeared from the radar screen," he said.

A rescue mission was launched immediately with the backup of helicopters and vehicles, he said.

Chaiyaphum Governor Jarin Jakkapak said up to 100 soldiers and police were taking part in the operation.

After the pilots were located, a helicopter picked them up at about 10am and took them back to Nakhon Ratchasima, while bombdisposal teams were dispatched to the wreckage to defuse the weapons, he said.

"The destruction of the explosives is necessary to ensure that locals in the area will be safe."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-15

I strongly suspect one of 2 things are fact.

1 The planes fell out of the sky because the pilots were not in them as they had been picked up from jungle 20 minutes earlier.

or

2 The pilots were flying them remotely with battery operated joysticks from the jungle and both sets of batteries inthe joysticks went dead

Don't pilots need to be in the plane to fly an F-16 ????

By The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-15

1 The planes fell out of the sky because the pilots were not in them as they had been picked up from jungle 20 minutes earlier.

or

2 The pilots were flying them remotely with battery operated joysticks from the jungle and both sets of batteries inthe joysticks went dead

I didn't know F-16 could go back in time. dam_n these things must be quick.

or

I didn't know F-16 could go back in time. dam_n these things must be quick.

Not the F-16's. It must be those rescue boys in their decked-out pick-ups doing the time travel. ;)

Edited by Payboy

$50 million apiece. Anyone know if the blame game has begun yet? Cannot possibly be pilot error, can it? :rolleyes:

O.K. I will take the bait and suggest it pilot error if nobody else is game. Mid are collision on exercise [ not an airshow] tells me lead aircraft with wing man. Possibly flying tight, screwed up and had to bail out. Interesting to read the report when it comes out.

I did hear of another RTAF F16 that crumped in in October last year and the pilot in that incident was not so lucky. :(

Did someone suggest they don't?

It is a mute topic in Thailand. How many Harrier jump jets still flying?

None to my knowledge but they still have this useless aircraft-carrier (Satahip?), specifically made for this kind of Harrier jump jets. No other jet can take off or land on this carrier.... unless it's a helicopter.

$50 million apiece. Anyone know if the blame game has begun yet? Cannot possibly be pilot error, can it? :rolleyes:

No, no, i was thinking if the mechanics they have do as a poor job on the air plains as they do on my car, then no wonder, i'm more surprise they ever get off the ground hit-the-fan.gif

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-15

Read- ran out of fuel! Does not matter how good the pilots are, if the grounds crew are anything like my Thai staff, it is amazing more planes don't crash after emptying already empty tanks.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-15

Read- ran out of fuel! Does not matter how good the pilots are, if the grounds crew are anything like my Thai staff, it is amazing more planes don't crash after emptying already empty tanks.

Engine mal ? If that is true. Then I would be hard to see how there was a collision between both aircraft in that situation.

As for running out of fuel. Once again it would be hard to imagine two aircraft running out of fuel simultaniously. Even for RTAF.

Did someone suggest they don't?

None to my knowledge but they still have this useless aircraft-carrier (Satahip?), specifically made for this kind of Harrier jump jets. No other jet can take off or land on this carrier.... unless it's a helicopter.

Why didn't someone tell Australia there was a bargain basement deal going on a never used "not-so-running" carrier in Thailand.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/glanceview/148881/navys-biggest-ship-ever-launches.glance

Why didn't someone tell Australia there was a bargain basement deal going on a never used "not-so-running" carrier in Thailand.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/glanceview/148881/navys-biggest-ship-ever-launches.glance

The HTMS Chakri Naruebet is a bit smallish. The Canberra class Landing Helicopter Dock are new amphibious assault ships being developed for the Royal Australian Navy. first one to enter service maybe 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_carriers_of_the_Royal_Australian_Navy

It's not 'not so running' it's used in war games and in disaster relief. Just last fall during the floods it was dispatched to the south loaded with helicopters, supplies, and medical staff on a humanitarian mission.

RTAF made the very wise decision about Sweden Grispen plane. Anyway it will be crashed, but the cost much cheaper than F18

Does anyone know the price differential (in chickens).?

But what will happen if/when the Cambodians decide to start trying to shoot them down too?

If the Serbs could hit a B117, and the Viets could get a B29, then the Cambodians would surely be able to bag more than a few F5s without trying too hard...

Could get very messy and expensive for Thailand.

RTAF made the very wise decision about Sweden Grispen plane. Anyway it will be crashed, but the cost much cheaper than F18

Does anyone know the price differential (in chickens).?

But what will happen if/when the Cambodians decide to start trying to shoot them down too?

If the Serbs could hit a B117, and the Viets could get a B29, then the Cambodians would surely be able to bag more than a few F5s without trying too hard...

Could get very messy and expensive for Thailand.

Pilot training for the F5s based at Ubon. "Repeat after me ... 'there are hills at the Cambodian border, there are hills at the Cambodian border' ..."