Top Officer On Bangkok Airport Seizure Cases Wants Out

webfact

Top officer on airport seizure cases wants out

By The Nation

The top police investigator in the airport seizure cases against yellow shirt leaders has tendered his resignation, citing negative impacts on him and his family, in addition to strong criticism and "pressure from all around".

Police Lt-General Somyos Pumpanmuang, who is also assistant national police chief, told reporters yesterday he had written to police chief General Wichean Potephosree to find a replacement for him as chief investigator.

Somyos distributed copies of his resignation letter to reporters.

His move came after Chamlong Srimuang, co-leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), filed a civil case against him yesterday seeking damages of Bt220 million for alleged defamation.

"I have worked devotedly in investigating the cases and spent a lot of my money in doing the job, without support from the Royal Thai Police," Somyos said in his letter to the police chief.

"Throughout the period, I have been criticised and received pressure from all around. The resultant impacts have affected my family and people close to me. In order to solve those problems, I would like you, sir, to find a replacement for me as head of the investigation."

Chamlong filed his case against Somyos at the Civil Court yesterday. In his petition, Chamlong said the charge of a terrorist act Somyos lodged against him was unfair because he had not resorted to violence or physical assault in staging a protest at Bangkok's airports.

Chamlong said it appeared Somyos tried to cause damage to his reputation. He told reporters later he had intended to file his petition before but his lawyer was too busy with other cases.

He insisted his civil lawsuit was not a bid to "take revenge" against the police officer.

Suriyasai Katasila, secretary general of the PAD's New Politics Party, said yesterday he was convinced Somyos wanted to step down as chief investigator as he "had completed his mission".

Suriyasai, previously a PAD coordinator, said Somyos should have been aware from the beginning that the cases against the PAD leaders were politically motivated. "These are political cases aimed at prosecuting the PAD leaders … Somyos has completed the mission. At least the PAD leaders' reputations have been damaged. Summons and arrest warrants have been issued against them. This is clear persecution," he said.

The activist said other senior police deemed to have prosecuted the PAD leaders would also face similar legal action.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-15

It would seem the PAD has learned from master Taksin. Rule number 1 - If anyone says anything I don't like, I'll sue them on the grounds of defamation. Taksins favourite weapon.

This sentence from the OP says it all: "I have worked devotedly in investigating the cases and spent a lot of my money in doing the job, without support from the Royal Thai Police," Somyos said in his letter to the police chief."

That the Nation has not pursued this aspect of the story also speaks volumes!

It would seem the PAD has learned from master Taksin. Rule number 1 - If anyone says anything I don't like, I'll sue them on the grounds of defamation. Taksins favourite weapon.

The irony is enchantingly thick here. It's like fairyland dream sequence!

Add to this the lack of financial support for the lead investigator.

The police should be stepping up by counter suing Chamlong for misapplied legal action,and offering Somyos instant and total financial backing against a personal charge leveled against him for things done on the job, not as a personal citizen.

The police should be stepping up by counter suing Chamlong for misapplied legal action,and offering Somyos instant and total financial backing against a personal charge leveled against him for things done on the job, not as a personal citizen.

I think you're applying reason and logic. None of that applies to the fascist PAD.

The irony is enchantingly thick here. It's like fairyland dream sequence!

Add to this the lack of financial support for the lead investigator.

TIT. What type of legal nonsense is this?

I long for the day that a government actively carries out a criminal justice review and revamps, removes, strengthens or weakens various laws to allow the system to produce correct and well founded judgements.

Beyond belief! An article wholly about the PAD and its illegal seizure of the airport and the very first reply mentions Thaksin. Not in a way that would normally link the two subjects, e.g the PAD occupied the airport in part to express their dissatisfaction with the Thaksin Government, oh no, any excuse to mention Thaksin will do. In the words of many a girlfriend to their affronted partner;

"Just leave it, He's not worth it"

I fully expect someone to pop up with a Jpeg any minute.

I think you're applying reason and logic. None of that applies to the fascist PAD.

Nor apparently the police.

This sentence from the OP says it all: "I have worked devotedly in investigating the cases and spent a lot of my money in doing the job, without support from the Royal Thai Police," Somyos said in his letter to the police chief."

That the Nation has not pursued this aspect of the story also speaks volumes!

He spent a lot of HIS money??? That is indeed interesting.

I believe you want room 205, down the hall, 2nd door on your right.

"Brothers, let us stand shoulder to shoulder, united in NOT talking about anything to do with Thaksin. It can be done. As it was in the past. So will it be again!!!!!!! (cue murmurs of approval)"

That was an excerpt from the keynote speech at the last meeting.

Another example of the ridiculous nature of Thailand's defamation laws, through which anybody with enough money for a lawyer can pin anyone else to the wall for the slightest negative comment, stalling their lives in many instances, without the case even coming to court.

Chamlong. What a waste of skin that one is. I used to admire him when he was the Governor of Bangkok but he has seriously gone off the rails. According to wiki, "he is now celibate, a vegetarian, and claims to have no worldly possessions."

Yup, he needs a life.

Chamlong. What a waste of skin that one is. I used to admire him when he was the Governor of Bangkok but he has seriously gone off the rails. According to wiki, "he is now celibate, a vegetarian, and claims to have no worldly possessions."

Yup, he needs a life.

Please don't encourage him to get out more. Thailand can barely stand it now. He needs to be cooped up somewhere with non-existent worldly possessions. Come to think of it, that sounds awfully like the clink.

"Brothers, let us stand shoulder to shoulder, united in NOT talking about anything to do with Thaksin. It can be done. As it was in the past. So will it be again!!!!!!! (cue murmurs of approval)"

That was an excerpt from the keynote speech at the last meeting.

Our honourable Brother has the Floor. Seconded.

Beyond belief! An article wholly about the PAD and its illegal seizure of the airport and the very first reply mentions Thaksin. Not in a way that would normally link the two subjects, e.g the PAD occupied the airport in part to express their dissatisfaction with the Thaksin Government, oh no, any excuse to mention Thaksin will do. In the words of many a girlfriend to their affronted partner;

"Just leave it, He's not worth it"

I fully expect someone to pop up with a Jpeg any minute.

There's a lot of contention for the Sriracha John Memorial Prize where the honour goes to the person who introduces the subject of Thaksin into an entirely unrelated subject.I agree you have identified a promising candidate.

There's a lot of contention for the Sriracha John Memorial Prize where the honour goes to the person who introduces the subject of Thaksin into an entirely unrelated subject.I agree you have identified a promising candidate.

Random won it in the F16 thread.

It seems that whenever Thaksin doesn't get mentioned quick enough, he is brought up by a pro-red poster.

The PAD is a criminal organization hell bent on taking full control of the government. Where is Lenin when you need him?

Bit OTT isn't it? 'The PAD' weren't a criminal organisation but certain personalities have evolved it into a quasi agent provocateur faction.

The Taksin instigated red shirts most certainly were criminal in their actions, or at least their 'leaders' are/were.

Lenin? Don't make me laugh/cry.