Teaching English Here In Chiang Mai

kevbap

Apparently (there's that word again) it's full of cash rich, time poor 'retirees', who don't mind teaching for a pittance in a futile attempt to stave off the boredom induced, but inevitable, liver failure. :ermm:

Yeah, it's terrible, old people staying employed and useful. Think of the example they're setting for the young!

There are indeed some rather wise older folk teaching here, and doing a right good job of it, too. I had the pleasure of working with one who was actually a former navy commander. That man has discipline and professionalism that is exemplary !

As for the prospects of a decent wage here, you have to realize that CM is full off Celta n TEFL programs churning out graduates and, beyond that, others recently certified elsewhere are constantly arriving. To many school directors here, the teachers are simply an expendable commodity. "If you won't do it for 250b/hr, someone else will." And they get what they pay for - a low standard of teacher. THat's mostly sad for the students who fork over their cash. It's even funny the way the schools will tell teachers that they aren't permitted to steal students away from them for private lessons outside when classes end. Well, maybe if they paid a respectable wage, teachers would be happy and there could be a happy medium and continuing through the school. But that involves logic, and paying more to so many revolving door Farang.... Why bother ?

Schools here are a business - get as many students as you can, promise them the world when selling them the course, throw them all into one class- any combination of levels will do, pay the teachers as little as possible, take pictures of the 'fun' classes, and use them on billboards to sell to more prospectives.

I do not complain. I only state the facts. For those that find intelligent, respectful employment here, it is a blessing. It's rare and nice when it happens. It does, but not very often.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know absolutely nothing about teaching (someone once tried to teach me but failed miserably as most of you can tell :unsure: )except that the pay in CM is way less than in BK (so I have been told) I have heard of 70-80 grand a month, but I doubt if this is to anyone but the top teachers, what makes a "top teacher"-I have no idea so don't slate me OK?

Otherwise why would the Bull's Head be packed to the rafters with teachers drinking pints of Heineken at 250B a pop all night every Friday? Their bill won't be less than 2k a night just for that, and you don't see them eating street food either (well I don't):blink:

However I am sure the OP would not want to live in BK, I wouldn't

I have no vested interest in relaying anything that was, and is, not true. I said it was a respected school ,it is by the parents, on a wider scale I don't know its ranking.The school has in excess of a thousand students.It is funded by the Government The teacher co ordinator has been there for many years.I did not say that 50% of teachers ,in CM, were without degrees ,only the ones that my daughter mixed with socially.I met most of them and their overwhelming motivation ,for being in CM,was to come here and experience living in an Asian country. None of them were "bragging" about not having a degree,that is your read on it. If you like to do some research through www.ajarn.com or similar web sites you will find that the educational background and the quality of SOME teachers in Thailand leaves a lot to be desired. As I posted earlier if Thailand is not prepared to pay salaries commensurate with people experience this situation will continue

Well said. As you well know some posts get edited to suit the readers wishes. (I do it all the time):(

The one thing I was curious about was her friends. Were many of them as your daughter just doing it as a temporary thing. While having many Thai experiences before moving on in there lives?

Her friends were mainly here for the same reason. To enjoy an "Asian Experience". I can tell you though they were bright ,intelligent and well educated.Most have returned to their home counties ,mainly the US. 1 girl, Sarah, who did have a degree landed a job in Bangkok at an International school. She receives a salary of 80,000 b and an accomodation allowance of 15,000 b a month. She misses CM but obviously is compensated through her salary. My daughter spent hours,on my computer, doing "lesson plans" that would help stimulate the young children,her colleagues made similar efforts.It should also be noted that they had teachers aides in the classroom , all Thai or Filippino, who received only 8,000 baht a mth which led to some problems and resentment that the "native speakers" were getting around 23,000 baht

Finally if anyone thinks that there ALL teachers working here in Government or Private schools in Thailand have degrees they are deluding themselves. The fake diploma providers on Khaosan Rd in Bangkok are still operating with impunity. Teachers are still doing border runs because they dont have work permits. The notorious,and totally unprincipled, "Agents" that some schools employ are still operating. At commencement of new terms many schools are desperate to fill their requirements and will take virtually anyone on ,as a last resort,especialy in the more remote areas of the country.

.....Hanging out with the armpit crowd in CNX isn't going to help you. You would be much more appreciated elsewhere, especially for the 21K you might make, if all goes well.

TL, in two different topics now I have seen you refer to the 'armpit crowd' and have no clue as to what the demographic is that you're talking about. Could you please enlighten us who these armpit people are ? DO you mean hippies ? Those who live cheaply ? Those with arms that attach to the shoulder ? (for I am one of those !)

And to the OP, yes, as with finding good housing here, do like Loaded has suggested, and do some footwork. Nothing beats walking in, properly presented and meeting the right people. That's really the best way for things to happen here.

And for the avg working teacher absent of either a degree or TEFL, the avg money's gonna be under 30K, almost guaranteed. Twenty - 25k/mo is more like it. It's livable, but hard to get ahead with or afford trips home or elsewhere.

There is a restaurant close to Garets that has a sign at the front door with a tank top shirt with a circle/line though it. I think they are talking about the "armpit crowd." Kind of smelly and improperly dressed (and improperly funded). They like the fisherman's pants and they only seem comfortable around their fellow tattooed armpit friends. You rarely see them more than a km from Thapae Gate. Almost never at real thai places, and they always seem to be the ones with issues with the food.

I am surprised ,no-one has mentioned : Ajarn.com. Ajarn .com is free to join and lists pretty near all teaching jobs available in Thailand and the salaries they are paying. As someone else did mention, you are now at the end of the school year. NO vacancies ,now. After Songkhran, schools will be looking. But I suggest you go to the schools ,introduce yourself ,,etc.,etc. ,and see what develops.Best of luck, Bill

I am surprised ,no-one has mentioned : Ajarn.com. Ajarn .com is free to join and lists pretty near all teaching jobs available in Thailand and the salaries they are paying. As someone else did mention, you are now at the end of the school year. NO vacancies ,now. After Songkhran, schools will be looking. But I suggest you go to the schools ,introduce yourself ,,etc.,etc. ,and see what develops.Best of luck, Bill

It has been mentioned if you care to check one of my previous posts, number 24. Its is recognised as possibly the most informative teaching web sites in Thailand

It has been mentioned if you care to check one of my previous posts, number 24. Its is recognised as possibly the most informative teaching web sites in Thailand

For every job Ajarn posts - 500 backpackers/ TEFL graduates apply to it

As has been mentioned before - pound the pavement

Get a list of schools and addresses

Print out a bunch of CVs and passport size photos

Make a deal with a Tuk Tuk driver or take your motorbike

and just go to every school on your list

Dress is a shirt/ tie

OR spend the time getting a degree and teacher certification and enjoy a nice career

I know absolutely nothing about teaching (someone once tried to teach me but failed miserably as most of you can tell :unsure: )except that the pay in CM is way less than in BK (so I have been told) I have heard of 70-80 grand a month, but I doubt if this is to anyone but the top teachers, what makes a "top teacher"-I have no idea so don't slate me OK?

Otherwise why would the Bull's Head be packed to the rafters with teachers drinking pints of Heineken at 250B a pop all night every Friday? Their bill won't be less than 2k a night just for that, and you don't see them eating street food either (well I don't):blink:

However I am sure the OP would not want to live in BK, I wouldn't

Generally, the pay for a degreed TEFLer working in a government / private school in popular areas such as Chang Mai & Pattaya is 25-30k; universities are a different beast so I'll leave them out of the discussion for now.

In Bangkok the pay would be between 35-60k. Those with a PGCE & a little experience can command 60-80k in an 'international' school.<_<

First tier international schools pay the best, 100k+ & a 25k condo thrown in, but are among the hardest international schools in the world to get in to. Think 10+ years direct experience with the UK curriculum, head of department, teaching awards etc. Their 'whoredar' is finely tuned, understandably, so they prefer you to be married. :blink:

This is a really interesting discussion to me. I'm a new English teacher (one year teaching experience). I've got a CELTA certificate which I worked very hard for in the US, (at a private school in San Francisco) a couple of years ago as part of an overall plan to teach English in Asia. I've got a Bachelor Degree from way back (not education), a legal assistant certification from not-so-far back, and lots of professional work experience in the US. I'd love to get out of Bangkok, it's too hot and crowded.

It seems, from what is being said, that CM might be an alternative but I'm wondering about the things being discussed here. I'm not a back-packer or part of the armpit crowd (lol) and want to stay in Thailand for a few years. Where does one get a list of CM schools?

Edited by Jawnie

This is a really interesting discussion to me. I'm a new English teacher (one year teaching experience). I've got a CELTA certificate which I worked very hard for in the US, (at a private school in San Francisco) a couple of years ago as part of an overall plan to teach English in Asia. I've got a Bachelor Degree from way back (not education), a legal assistant certification from not-so-far back, and lots of professional work experience in the US. I'd love to get out of Bangkok, it's too hot and crowded.

It seems, from what is being said, that CM might be an alternative but I'm wondering about the things being discussed here. I'm not a back-packer or part of the armpit crowd (lol) and want to stay in Thailand for a few years. Where does one get a list of CM schools?

Google

I have found this topic very interesting and it has sparked my interest to want to know more. I was a teacher of sorts in America; along with a BS (not in education) I was trained and certified as a technical instructor. I instructed police officers in advanced career development classes and some at the police academy part time. Although I never taught English I have taught Report Writing and Advanced Report Writing.

Talking about difficult students with attitudes, imagine being the instructor for a bunch of over ego minded cops. Anyway, I did this part time for the last 14 years of my 32 year career as a law enforcement officer. I wonder if there would be any teaching opportunities for someone like me in Chiang Mai and if so where would I start?

Age of degree isn't a problem, but age is. The older you are the harder it is to find a teaching job, becoming very difficult for entry level teachers who are over 50 and almost impossible for those over 60.

People have suggested that with Summer break coming up, that work will be harder to find. I would suggest that many schools will be having English camps and that working these camps may, in fact, get your foot in the door with a school.

I consult with a number of schools and often get calls looking for teachers on short notice. I keep their CV's in my email to be able to send them out to the folks at the schools and I can tell people this .... With the number of people wanting teaching jobs in CNX that have real degrees and often a TEFL earned in Thailand, I simply discard the CV's of people without degrees. (No I am not with an agency --- nor do I take any money from the schools or the teachers I refer for interviews. My business relies on the good will of some of these schools so I do it as an act of good will on my part.)

I am directly associated with a place that will be hiring in May or June for subject teachers where the starting wage will be 40k (for most teachers) with a 5k bump after 90 days and possibly more for folks with at least an MBA. They will also be hiring mentors/facilitators starting at 25k with the 90 day bump of 5k. The facilitator/mentor positions are FT (8 hours a day with an hour dinner break) but consist of no real classroom hours. Some of that position is hanging out and talking with students, some is helping with homework, and some is scheduled speaking time 1:1. --- no degree = no interview. I'll post in the Chiang Mai forum 2 weeks before interviews start.

Online education + CLEP testing can get you a US accredited Bachelors degree in 18 months

For American citizens the FAFSA program has guaranteed funding (loans + grants)

If your looking for long term this is definitely an investment that will pay dividends - or go to Cambodia and not worry about the Thai MOE

My apologies, I must have missed your post, but you are quite right ,it is very good

My apologies, I must have missed your post, but you are quite right ,it is very good

How many Chiang Mai jobs have you seen advertised on that site in the last 6 months?

Hmmmm! A school looking after Songkran for a fully-qualified teacher ?! That's pretty funny!

Reading randomly, I find a lot of interesting and relevant comments. At the same time, I wish that those looking for an "Asian experience" would stay home, wherever that is, especially if you are not a fully-certified teacher. If you aren't really a teacher (i.e., looking for a "growth experience), then stay home, or go work in a restaurant until you "find yourself," but please leave children out of it wherever you are!

What is tragic here --- and not unlike most countries --- is that the educational system is hidebound and inadequately funded. But young expat "meaningful experience wannabes" are not going to change that. If anything, they really rather screw things up: in and out, done my thing, gosh I'm great, now it is time to go "home." What kind of commitment is that other than selfish?

On the somewhat darker side, there are those who come here with really no other reason than a cheap life beyond a college dorm, some easy sex, and quiz nights at local English-speaking pubs.

Even in the good schools in Chiang Mai (as a general rule the international schools) there are problems as well as some good teachers. The only one that pays anything decent is Prem, or whatever they call it these days. And you'd be dam_n lucky to get a job there, and you'd have to do it through the established recruiting system internationally. It pays teachers more than heads of most other schools in town!

Is all this discouraging? Yes, for some I hope that it is; for others, if you are willing to live quite modestly while --- most importantly, like kids --- really wanting to work --- go for it! But go for it honestly; please don't make teaching a way of enjoying Chiang Mai, or Thailand, or any of the lesser-funded countries.

Edited by Mapguy

Google

Yeah, a Google search was helpful. Since no one responded with any kind of list (I didn't expect there would be one, but the question needed to be asked.) Google it is. I'm in CM now looking for both housing and jobs. I'm getting some negative feedback on the job scene, both here and from others. It seems CM is over-saturated with English teachers and that it's a bit of a crap shoot to get hired. One person said his friend gave up after two months and found a job elsewhere in Thailand. I'm being told to stay in Bkk (which makes sense) or go to smaller towns. Of course, hitting the pavement and being patient and persistent is a good approach, too, but not completely reliable in CM, it seems.

Google

Yeah, a Google search was helpful. Since no one responded with any kind of list (I didn't expect there would be one, but the question needed to be asked.) Google it is. I'm in CM now looking for both housing and jobs. I'm getting some negative feedback on the job scene, both here and from others. It seems CM is over-saturated with English teachers and that it's a bit of a crap shoot to get hired. One person said his friend gave up after two months and found a job elsewhere in Thailand. I'm being told to stay in Bkk (which makes sense) or go to smaller towns. Of course, hitting the pavement and being patient and persistent is a good approach, too, but not completely reliable in CM, it seems.

As to the job list, Ajarn.com is all I know of, and currently it doesn't offer much. Chiang Mai is very popular with ex-pats and long-stay tourists, which means lots of potential teachers chasing a limited number of jobs. There are many regulatory restrictions on both teachers and schools, complicating the situation. It appears there are places that skirt the regulations, but employment at these places leaves one feeling, justifiably, insecure. And these impediments are not unique to Chiang Mai, they are at every "dream destination" in Thailand. The further you get into the boonies, and away from first world living and western conveniences, the less competition there is for teaching jobs, but you have to be flexible in lifestyle and can't expect generous pay.

Dreamy, far-away places become much more real when you get there. That doesn't mean they aren't worth the trip, quite the contrary, it's what makes travel into the unfamiliar worth the trip. But you have to be prepared to deal with the real world as it is.

How many TEFL course providers are there is Chang Mai now? IH CELTA, SEE, Text & Talk, CM University & add one that I forgot means that there are at least 100 TEFL graduates every month let loose in a saturated market; only Chang Rai is worse.<_<

The ajarn jobs board is notoriously unpredictable. There were over 150 jobs advertised on there during November last year, a traditionally quiet month. It's a little early to be panicking yet. March, April (post Songkran) & early May are the best times to secure the top jobs.:ph34r:

How many TEFL course providers are there is Chang Mai now? IH CELTA, SEE, Text & Talk, CM University & add one that I forgot means that there are at least 100 TEFL graduates every month let loose in a saturated market; only Chang Rai is worse.<_<

The ajarn jobs board is notoriously unpredictable. There were over 150 jobs advertised on there during November last year, a traditionally quiet month. It's a little early to be panicking yet. March, April (post Songkran) & early May are the best times to secure the top jobs.:ph34r:

I think 100 TEFL graduates let loose,as you put it, in CM , is an exaggeration and as for the Ajarn.com jobs board being unpredictable they can only list the positions vacant that are provided by the schools. Not all schools use Ajarn many have their own network for acquiring students like the TEFL course providers. Wouldn't it make sense that if you were a school teaching co ordinator that you would contact the TEFL course head honcho and ask him/her to recommend the best graduate/s they have ?

I think 100 TEFL graduates let loose,as you put it, in CM , is an exaggeration and as for the Ajarn.com jobs board being unpredictable they can only list the positions vacant that are provided by the schools. Not all schools use Ajarn many have their own network for acquiring students like the TEFL course providers. Wouldn't it make sense that if you were a school teaching co ordinator that you would contact the TEFL course head honcho and ask him/her to recommend the best graduate/s they have ?

Lanna TEFL is the one I forgot (just found) & I'll throw UniTEFL into the mix; so there's six & counting. If you consider that each TEFL course provider has 3-4 different schools throughout LOS, with a significant number of graduates seeking work in Chang Mai, then my estimate would seem to be conservative.:blink:

Yes, the ajarn jobs board is not the be all & end all, but it is a good indicator. If I was a HoD & had any sense, I'd get the hell out of LOS & head for the hills of Taiwan for that 75k stress free jolly.

If I had slightly less sense, then I'd head-hunt the 'summa cum laude' from the nearest CELTA & pay him 60k from the magic money tree. If I had slightly more sense, then I'd hire the tone deaf Bulgarian builder with his crisp new 'Island TEFL' cert, who's prepared to work for 20k & a pickled egg.<_<

I think the person who was talking about the teachers drinking the 250 thb of Heineken, were students in training, still on daddy's money, and relatively wet behind the ears. The longer term ones are in the plastic chairs in front of the place next door to the 7-11, doing 40 THB large Achas.

Sparkles: my only problem with your allegorical tale of your daughter is the use of the words well respected and known. If it was a government school which pays the salary that you are talking about then I don't see how you can say well respected. Private colleges like, Dara, Prince Royal, Montfort, Varee do not hire people without degrees.

There is no way that 50% of teachers are degree less in Chiang Mai. That is a very large exaggeration. And promoting or bragging about not having a work permit is pretty stupid. Advocating working illegally isn't proper.

People without degrees can find work, but they are not going to be making 30+. Even people with degrees in Education and certified only make 40-60 at the international schools here. Many of the EP programs only pay 30 and many of those teachers have degrees in education also.

I think that the OP is being optimistic with his chances. (No experience, No qualifications, a 1 month training doesn't amount to much, no degree) The MOE is making it harder for people to get teacher's licenses not easier.

Those without degrees can find some work here, but it is getting harder every year. For a short term temporary option it is doable, but for a long term goal of teaching you really need a degree.

Yes, I'm a teacher here in Chiang Mai and have been for the last three years, what you have written is fair / true. It's difficult to get work without a degree as you can't get a work permit. You would be much better looking in the direction of language centres for work.

Sparkles: my only problem with your allegorical tale of your daughter is the use of the words well respected and known. If it was a government school which pays the salary that you are talking about then I don't see how you can say well respected. Private colleges like, Dara, Prince Royal, Montfort, Varee do not hire people without degrees.

There is no way that 50% of teachers are degree less in Chiang Mai. That is a very large exaggeration. And promoting or bragging about not having a work permit is pretty stupid. Advocating working illegally isn't proper.

People without degrees can find work, but they are not going to be making 30+. Even people with degrees in Education and certified only make 40-60 at the international schools here. Many of the EP programs only pay 30 and many of those teachers have degrees in education also.

I think that the OP is being optimistic with his chances. (No experience, No qualifications, a 1 month training doesn't amount to much, no degree) The MOE is making it harder for people to get teacher's licenses not easier.

Those without degrees can find some work here, but it is getting harder every year. For a short term temporary option it is doable, but for a long term goal of teaching you really need a degree.

Yes, I agree with what you have written it's fair / true / realistic. I'm a teacher here with 3 years experience, I would suggest that you should look in the direction of language centres rather than schools. At best it'll be difficult to get a work permit with no degree.

Good luck

Sparkles -- I am slightly confused about your posts because you seem to be pretty confident about teachers getting jobs without degrees but your only experience is that your daughter used the Chaing Mai educational system to fund her holiday - am I wrong?

I am sure she worked very hard but at the end of the day the reason she did it was to fund her trip in thailand at the cost of the education of Thai children so she was part of the problem and not part of the solution

I agree that pay is low but the quality of life still beats unemployment in the West and if you look around you will see about 100,000 teachers having been laid off since 2009 so there are more and more real teachers available willing to work for less

I just find your comments woefully ignorant about the current situation and they are dangerous because many of the 1,000+ views of this thread will be interested in this and find your comments encouraging

"Teachers" without degrees will be working illegally because they cant get a work permit in a time that the Thai MOE is cracking down harder and harder on foreign teachers. Either these people will be set up for failure after a year or so or worse they will only be using it to fund extended holidays at the cost of the education of children. Is this really what you are encouraging?

Sparkles -- I am slightly confused about your posts because you seem to be pretty confident about teachers getting jobs without degrees but your only experience is that your daughter used the Chaing Mai educational system to fund her holiday - am I wrong?

I am sure she worked very hard but at the end of the day the reason she did it was to fund her trip in thailand at the cost of the education of Thai children so she was part of the problem and not part of the solution

I agree that pay is low but the quality of life still beats unemployment in the West and if you look around you will see about 100,000 teachers having been laid off since 2009 so there are more and more real teachers available willing to work for less

I just find your comments woefully ignorant about the current situation and they are dangerous because many of the 1,000+ views of this thread will be interested in this and find your comments encouraging

"Teachers" without degrees will be working illegally because they cant get a work permit in a time that the Thai MOE is cracking down harder and harder on foreign teachers. Either these people will be set up for failure after a year or so or worse they will only be using it to fund extended holidays at the cost of the education of children. Is this really what you are encouraging?

As much as I would LIKE to agree with you PlanetX --- I can't.

Some people do get WP's with no degree and some of the people that are just teaching as a way to have an extended overseas experience are actually better than the teachers that meet your personal standards. Again, with the glut of people WITH degrees I simply don't bother even interviewing people that don't have one.