Attn Birders, Need Help Iding A Bird

sbk

A little bird fell out of the tree onto my head today (better the bird than the poop!). I think it may be a full grown bird, just tiny (palm of my hand size, or smaller) with a sharp pointed beak, black plumage but with a red stripe along the center of it's back.

I think it may have been attacked by the gazillion wild mynahs hanging around our place lately as it seems either injured or ill.

Any suggestions on what this little guy is and what I should be feeding him? (or her).

A little bird fell out of the tree onto my head today (better the bird than the poop!). I think it may be a full grown bird, just tiny (palm of my hand size, or smaller) with a sharp pointed beak, black plumage but with a red stripe along the center of it's back.

I think it may have been attacked by the gazillion wild mynahs hanging around our place lately as it seems either injured or ill.

Any suggestions on what this little guy is and what I should be feeding him? (or her).

SBK,

If it's a very small bird, it's almost certainly a male Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker.

They are common all over Thailand and are nectar feeders.

I looked after a Common Mynah chick that had fallen out of it's nest. Even though I fed it with store bought bird-food, it eventually died after ten days or so. Just as well really, as it had sustained nerve damage to it's legs during the fall and would never be able to walk. Did my best though.

Edited by Sir Burr

Ok found it on a great birders website, thai and english names.

scarlet backed flowerpecker

It is called:

นกสีชมพูสวน

Scarlet - backed Flowerpecker / Dicaeum cruentatum

Or Nok sichumpoo suan

after read that site it said that bird eat small insect ,spider,some small ripe fruit as TAKOB and found at south part of TH ( D . c. ignitum )

f4.gifตะขบ -Takob -Planchonella Siamensis.

f1.gif มะเดื่อ -Madeua- MORACEAE(Ficus sp.)

Edited by BambinA

Thanks Bambina, I didn't read the whole thing, just looked at the photo and the name.

That is, indeed, the bird I have. Good call Sir Burr!

Now what do I do? Don't want to let the little fella die (I am really very softhearted about animals I know. good thing my husband is the same!)

Edited by sbk

Thanks Bambina, I didn't read the whole thing, just looked at the photo and the name.

Now what do I do? Don't want to let the little fella die (I am really very softhearted about animals I know. good thing my husband is the same!)

sbk,

I would go and see a vet. I did this when I had the Mynah chick. They will tell you how it is, and, if there is anything you can do. You can only try. If the bird dies, then, you know you have done your best.

Took me a month to get over my chick.

The best of luck to you.

Edited by Sir Burr

sbk,

I would go and see a vet. I did this when I had the Mynah chick. They will tell you how it is, and, if there is anything you can do. You can only try. If the bird dies, then, you know you have done your best.

Took me a month to get over my chick.

The best of luck to you.

do you know anyone who breeds birds maybe they can advise you

1. we used to make a syrup for nectar eaters (lorries etc) with honey, sugar water and raw egg with fruit mash also (i have to ask my kid she's the one that used to do this)

mynas are meat eaters definately not seed eaters, they love to eat baby birds, dog food, bugs, etc -- one of the reasons i got rid of ours at the petting zoo since he was eating all our other bird nestlings so bird seed is not what a myna should have got fed...

and most vets in any country dont know anything about wild animal veterinary which is different then domesticate... u can tell what a bird eats often by watching how they search for food, size and shape of beak etc....

Edited by bina

Thanks for the advice but poor little bird died during the night :o. He seemed injured so I suspect the hoards of wild mynahs hanging around our place must have attacked him and that is probably why he fell out of the tree in the first place. Poor little thing, at least it died in a peaceful place.