Road Rage

alobar

I get a particular thrill bobbing and weaving in the 3 dimensional chess game that is Chiang Mai traffic; shooting through back sois, and emerging into a throng of Songthaew's and VIP buses. I continually appreciate the middle path of indifference drivers take at worst, and the smiles from the continual near misses at best. Having New York DNA, my spirit soars at every non middle finger flipped, every horn not blared, every epithet not screamed. Riding around here is the 'push hands' of vehicular traffic.

I was jarred out of my joy today, by my first ever incident of road rage, as I walked my bicycle across the teeming road in front of Central market. Doppler sarcasm at 45 k/hr, as the helmeted yank (I are one!)on his rented Honda 125, had to accommodate my 'sudden appearance' while I was WALKING. While briefly taken aback, and having the thought to be dormant 'oy yeah' hackles raised, I then settled into the once again happy and probably illusory state of really enjoying Chiang Mai traffic.

'Be grateful for your non toothache'

Thich Nhat Hanh

:jap:

Great post, Alobar. I also enjoy riding my bike in Chiang Mai traffic. It is like a free flowing video game. It's just as you say... bobbing and weaving your way through the moving masses with people coming at you from any direction. It's a bit dangerous, but doesn't that spice up an otherwise boring life?

And, I'm constantly amazed at how little animosity there is for things that would drive some California driver into a rage and start pulling his guns. Of course, I can't help but shake my head at people who stop anywhere for as long as they want and block entire roadways. And, the other drivers just have to go somewhere else to get around.

A fellow writer of mine wrote a hilarious story of taking driving lessons from a Thai driving instructor... complete with the Tha-English accent. I almost fell off my chair laughing. But, it was so true and when you actually blend into the Thai way of riding or driving it actually works.

I don't know whats with the traffic this evening. I just spent the better part of an hour going from my place to Kasem Store and back. A trip that is about 5 mins each way in normal conditions. Both ends of the Nakornping Bridge were just literally jammed.

A redbus driver stuck in the middle of an intersection where he drove without having the clearance to cross over, was threatening motorcycle drivers who were attempting to squeeze through the cracks, with a length of steel pipe,while hollering at them....This is the worst traffic jam conditions I have everseen in CM. Its not just this intersection either.

I have had traffic jammed up in front of my place since about 3PM .... Just breaking up within the past 20 or so minutes.

Must be something going on

Gonzo

When it is dead, in the low season, with not a tourist to be seen on Chang Klan Rd, and the rain is drizzling down like a scene in a bad French cine noir flick, we bemoan the absence of traffic.

Now we have the traffic......:whistling:

I admit it is challenging driving here.

But a relative piece of cake, compared to Tehran, or Mumbai, or New Yawk.

Can't have your cake, and eat it too, as the saying goes.

Buy a small Wave scooter, not a penis extension bike, maintain a high visual horizon, always assume the worst will happen at any instant, and wear a full face helmet. Learn to carefully split lanes. Cover your front brake attentively and be prepared to react instantly. You'll be fine.

Otherwise sit hunched over in a songthiew baking in the heat and sucking up diesel fumes. Worse than a cattle car headed to you know where.

Bicycles in this town are road kill, and driving a car/truck is just a way to slow insanity.

When it is dead, in the low season, with not a tourist to be seen on Chang Klan Rd, and the rain is drizzling down like a scene in a bad French cine noir flick, we bemoan the absence of traffic.

Buy a small Wave scooter, not a penis extension bike, maintain a high visual horizon, always assume the worst will happen at any instant, and wear a full face helmet. Learn to carefully split lanes. Cover your front brake attentively and be prepared to react instantly. You'll be fine.

Otherwise sit hunched over in a songthiew baking in the heat and sucking up diesel fumes. Worse than a cattle car headed to you know where.

Bicycles in this town are road kill, and driving a car/truck is just a way to slow insanity.

You been reading my notes and diary, McGriffith? :D

I've got both bikes... the scooter and the penis extension. :) But, the big bike is more comfortable and with better vision. It just does't sneek through the gaps as easily and it's much harder to park.

I heard there's a VIP in town as friends flew in from BKK and apparently part of the airport building closed and horrendous traffic there. That makes sense as that would mean the river road on east bank partially closed, if airport workers are correct.

I heard there's a VIP in town as friends flew in from BKK and apparently part of the airport building closed and horrendous traffic there. That makes sense as that would mean the river road on east bank partially closed, if airport workers are correct.

Yes, one of the Princesses is in town. Not sure which one. The Thai Hip-hop group Thaikoon, is also in town and performed for her earlier this evening. Not sure of the venue or occasion, however.

-Mestizo

'Car/truck too slow'??? Surely you jest... That's my enjoyment, driving the Super highway doing 140-170 kph tailgating or weaving through traffic.... I tell my Americans friends about that and they ask, 'what about the police?' I reply, 'Yeah, when I see them I usually speed up to pass'. whistling.gif

I just cant stand being behind redcars or tuk tuk's that are pouring smoke out of their exhausts making huge clouds. I have to overtake them, this sometimes leads me to drive a little reckless.

Wow!! You must be a real daredevil!!

What about the buses and trucks. Do you take such risks with these exhaust belching monsters?

:rolleyes:

Edited by Blinky Bill

I have never had any problems driving here :)

you gotta be joking? it's horrendous - selfishness reigns supreme - no 'indicators', park and turn where they want - I hate it

You've been in Chiang Mai 27 years (almost 10,000 driving days) and never had a problem?

Not even a teensy weensy one?

you gotta be joking?

Obviously he is. Note the emoticon.

I've finally reached the point where I can USUALLY think, "that guy is not really a flaming, brain-dead, azzole - it's just they way they drive here".

The exception being when, daily, someone endangers my life for no apparent gain.

Do you drive a tank?

now that I've learned to ride like the Thais do...such as down the wrong side of the street, into the oncoming lane, turning anywhere I want and slipping through anywhere there is a tiny space. Don't signal... just go! :D

Do you drive a tank?

now that I've learned to ride like the Thais do...such as down the wrong side of the street, into the oncoming lane, turning anywhere I want and slipping through anywhere there is a tiny space. Don't signal... just go! :D

What a frivolous post. <_<

Please be sure to get someone to post on the forum when you are hospitalised owing to a serious accident for such for partaking in such folly then we may be able to organise some flowers.

We have lost 2 regulars on this forum that I know of in the last 6 months, killed in motorcycle accidents.

If you bring yourself down to their level of driving skills,(which to Thai's are just normal) then don't be too surprised with the outcome Mr.Forbes.

Remember that they accept that the risk of dying in a driving related accident are 10 times higher here than in the UK for example which has a similar sized population <_<

I don't ride a bike, in fact my car has 8 airbags, and I STILL treat every road user as a potential threat to my safety. I really don't want to be a statistic, and I hope that you don't want to be one either. :annoyed:

Was motorcycling around the traffic on Nimmenhemin a few days ago and got in a line of waves going against traffic down the center-line, a move that would be get you arrested in the west. At any rate, just as I thought I was clear and could pull back in I see the nose of a car poking into my airspace. I just hammered the front brake and stopped about ten inches from his fender. He had his window down and was a high ranking air force officer from what I could see. He looked up at me, smiled, and said Thank You, thinking I was letting him through. Heck! I was just trying to keep from hitting him!

Do you drive a tank?

I am a good driver who only fears things fearfull, very rare for me in Thailand :)

I have also been a driver in Thailand for more than 27 years...

you gotta be joking? it's horrendous - selfishness reigns supreme - no 'indicators', park and turn where they want - I hate it

You've been in Chiang Mai 27 years (almost 10,000 driving days) and never had a problem?

I mean an accident, and no, I have never had an accident with anyone :)

I think you guys might be too emotional when driving, which makes you a big danger to those of us driving sanely :)

:thumbsup::clap2:

Well said. Every single near miss that I have had so far, has always been with farang drivers. Some of you need to learn to relax and go with the flow.

-Mestizo

Edited by Mestizo

I mean an accident, and no, I have never had an accident with anyone :)

OK - I didn't interpret 'problems' as accidents.

hahahaha - thanks for removing all logic from this discussion

The logic is simple really. Farangs that can't integrate and drive per the established standards, tend to drive in a chaotic and spastic fashion. As this is contrary from the norm and highly unexpected, it tends to catch others off guard and cause accidents. If they would just relax a bit and go with the flow, they would be much better off.

I'm not saying let down your guard completely or stop driving defensively. I'm saying that every time the car in front of you taps his breaks, you don't need to either slam on your breaks and/or swerve across multiple lanes. Learn to anticipate this, stop following so dam_n close, and relax/ stop spazzing out. Its exactly this over-reactive, spastic behavior of other farangs that have led to ALL of my near misses.

And yes, I have taken my own advise and learned to anticipate other farangs driving like retarded crack babies. I tend to give them a wide berth now, when I see them on the road.

-Mestizo

As I do not carry a Mobil phone to distract me, and the local radio does not suit my likes, I borrow the teenagers I pod,, put ear phones on, listen to 'Thunder Road' at high volume, wear dark glasses (no one knows if I am blind and they can not see when I close my eyes) on the near hits, etc. I also mumble under my breath a few choice phrases, (good for a warm feeling).

I do not recognize any unexpected happenings on the roadways anymore as I do not recall anything new after the first 2 or 3 years on the roads here. I do let the motorbikes and other vehicles run interference when approaching or moving away from all traffic lights, passing, stopping, double parking, U turns, lane change, etc.

I use the horn sparingly and if a recipient appears agitated, I smile and wave at them, as if they were a friend of mine.