Does Passport Number Change When Renewed?

--life starts today ... great ... unless your name is something like 'Joe Smith' maybe you should change that as well ... as stated earlier at least for the USA the canceled passport is valuable ID in case you lose the current one ... but congratulations; you've certainly outsmarted those Thai Embassy lackeys -- at least for now.

Thanks. I need to get new pages in mine but was thinking of just getting a new one since my pic doesn't look like me and I often get questioned if it is really me. It never occurred to me that the number might change and I have used my passport as my official ID # on so many things and entities I work with.

I have to assume that since this is common/standard then the databases must somehow reference the old info. I was just thinking in terms of a past visa application to the US we submitted and how it would be less complicated if we didn't bring this up with a different visa application.

Does anybody know that if I want to change my UK passport, whether I have to return to the UK to do it or can I have this renewed in Thailand? I've still got time on my hands as it expires in 3 years time but thought I'd just ask while this subject is being discussed. Thanks in advance.

Sorry this was a little bit ambiguous. I am just having it renewed and not changed.

All new passports in all countries come with new numbers. The only time you retain the old number is when they do inserts such as in Thai Passports. Now with 'chip' technology being inserted into passports they will most likely be phasing out extension pages as they want Big Brother able to identify all and sundry under one system.

For what it's worth.......... I have known of a few people who staple the old one to the back of the new one. It has been perfectfully acceptable and helpful to authorities to search for info they may want from the old one. I believe in a case or two it was done by the issueing embassy possibly for that exact reason.

Very interesting question, by the way................

For what it's worth.......... I have known of a few people who staple the old one to the back of the new one. It has been perfectfully acceptable and helpful to authorities to search for info they may want from the old one. I believe in a case or two it was done by the issueing embassy possibly for that exact reason.

Very interesting question, by the way................

If it was the Thai embassy or immigration ... they just love to staple sh@t together laugh.gif including cash receipts into your passport.

Your entry stamp is transferred into your new passport by Immigration and a notation of old passport number, place and date of issue is also made in the new passport.

That makes sense. Otherwise we could have a problem with our thai drivers Licenses. (Thai dl # is the passport #)

When I renew my US passport and my Mexico passports, I request 2 things. One is to continue with the original number. And two, to request the return of the expired passport.

Also, someone below over reacted to the US State Department's "Warning". The key word in that so-called warning is the word "normally." If you research things thoroughly, you may just find some surprises.

But if you do things "lemming-style", you get what everyone else gets. I don't ascribe to that type of thinking.

The place on the DS-64 form where it says 'may not normally bear' is actually in the 'Important Notice' section at the top; the word 'normally' does not appear in the actual 'Warning' section below. The 'normally' refers to persons not normally bearing 2 valid US Passports but it is well documented that persons with extensive overseas travel for valid reasons can have 2 passports such that one can be at a non-US government Embassy for visa obtaining purposes while the other USA passport is being used for current travel.

The notion that one might be over-reacting to the WARNING that one should not deliberately lose or mutilate one's US Passport maybe comes from someone who has never before been charged with a felony ... it is not fun even if the charges are later dropped.

Much of the discussion on these pages regarding the obtaining of new passports is geared toward having a new passport clean of prior Thai tourist visa stamps so that Thai Immigration officials might overlook the multitude of prior issued stamps ... in these cases having the same number transferred sort of defeats that purpose.

... and whether I get a new Passport number or not when mine expires in 5 years makes no difference to this lemming.

Edited by jazzbo

Does anybody know that if I want to change my UK passport, whether I have to return to the UK to do it or can I have this renewed in Thailand? I've still got time on my hands as it expires in 3 years time but thought I'd just ask while this subject is being discussed. Thanks in advance.

Sorry this was a little bit ambiguous. I am just having it renewed and not changed.

"Renewed" is a dangerous word to use because different people use it to mean different things. Will you be applying for an extension of the validity of your current passport?

When my UK passport was due to expire last year I contacted the British Embassy in Bangkok well in advance to ask if the "unused time" on my old passport could be carried forward into the new one. They categorically stated that this was impossible, all new passports were for ten years and ten years only. Since this policy had changed since I last needed a new passport I got them to confirm this by email, which I still have somewhere.

I therefore waited until my old passport only had a month left before I applied for a new one. When I got the new one it was for ten years plus the unexpired month from the old passport.

Possibly they have reverted to the old practice but I think you need to contact the British Embassy directly. They are not bad on replying to emails, I've generally had a reply to my email enquiries after two or three days.

All new passports in all countries come with new numbers. The only time you retain the old number is when they do inserts such as in Thai Passports. Now with 'chip' technology being inserted into passports they will most likely be phasing out extension pages as they want Big Brother able to identify all and sundry under one system.

I don't think that is correct. I believe Singaporeans keep passport number for life and it's the Big Brother state to beat all. I could be wrong(again..).

BTW according to the latest US State Department statistics (only) about 37% of all Americans hold a currently valid US passport which means that about 63% of all Americans do not much care about other counties' visa protocols one way or another.

It is helpful to keep your old passport if you have visas to other countries. I have a new passport waiting to be picked up at the US embassy. Current pp has 3 years left but is running out of pages and have already had the maximum allowed page inserts. I have active multi-entry visas for both India and China in the old passport, was told by Chinese immigration to bring the old passport with visa (and new one) and will be no problem to enter China. Not sure about India and not sure about current Thai one year visa. Does having your old and new passport help with the following issues.

-Does Thai immigration transfer my one year visa from old to new passport? Multi-enty non O issued in the USA by Thai consul in Boston. Expires in May and plan to extend based on retirement ?

-Do I need to have my Thai car and motorcycle liscense changed to reflect new pp number?

-Do I need to have green books changed for the motorcycles I own ?

-Do I need to visit Thai banks ?

Thanks for the good info in this thread as my new passport is currently waiting to be picked up in CM consul but was unsure about what I have to do after the new one is issued.

Immigration never transfers visas to a new passport. Instead when you get a new passport, you must make sure that if they invalidate your old passport they not damage the pages with a valid visa on it. That way the valid visas in an old passport remain valid and can be used in combination with your new passport.

The old passports shows your visa and permission to stay will be stamped into the new passport.

When you get a new passport while staying in Thailand you do need to go to immigration, to transfer the details of your old passport to the new passport. That includes a change of passport number in the file immigration has on you and your permission to stay. But as above, the visa itself is not transferred and as long as it is valid you keep using the old passport to show a valid visa till expired.

Immigration does not transfer visas. In your case only a notation of previous passport and current permitted to stay stamp would be entered into the new passport. Visa is still good in old passport but you will have to show both.

I would not bother with bank accounts - they will change when you obtain a new passbook. As for driving license mine is from 41 years ago and have never updated anything and never been questioned on it. Suspect doing at renewal time would be enough.

So if one waits until the last entry on an existing Thai visa in a current passport has been utilized, and one then exits Thailand and applies for a new US or other country passport while in another country EX-Thailand (i.e. PDR Lao or Singapore), then there will no need to have any indication in the newly issued passport that one has ever actually made any visits into the Kingdom of Thailand... if that is, of course, one's desire.

I would not bother with bank accounts - they will change when you obtain a new passbook.

The last time I needed some thing from my thai bank, the officer noticed that my passport number had changed and she noted it on my account, no hassel at all :)

So if one waits until the last entry on an existing Thai visa in a current passport has been utilized, and one then exits Thailand and applies for a new US or other country passport while in another country EX-Thailand (i.e. PDR Lao or Singapore), then there will no need to have any indication in the newly issued passport that one has ever actually made any visits into the Kingdom of Thailand... if that is, of course, one's desire.

I'm not sure of the extent of computer records of travellers movements used in Thailand, but this wouldn't work in western countries.

Movement data bases are very comprehensive and match up using PP numbers, name and dob, or even, as someone said, facial recognition. A scan of the machine readable strip on the bottom of the details page is all that is needed to match all records, and create a new one.

Data from new passports issued are downloaded into Immigration computers instantly, and lost or replaced Passports are cancelled in the system at the same time.(In case someone else tries to use them)

Oh give me a break ... I repeat: then there will no need to have any indication in the newly issued passport that one has ever actually made any visits into the Kingdom of Thailand... if that is, of course, one's desire. That was for all those persons who want to remain in Thailand everlasting based on successive tourist visas and think it helps to get a new passport to wipe the slate clean of previous stamps

What is not known -- in addition to the supercomputer data mining match-ups, INTERPOL face recognition profiles and fingerprints -- is that the US State Department has a squad of hidden Kalahari Bushmen blowgun experts who shoot an RFID micro-chip into the buttocks of persons waiting in the non-US citizen immigration line at all major arrival airports.

Oh give me a break ... I repeat: then there will no need to have any indication in the newly issued passport that one has ever actually made any visits into the Kingdom of Thailand... if that is, of course, one's desire. That was for all those persons who want to remain in Thailand everlasting based on successive tourist visas and think it helps to get a new passport to wipe the slate clean of previous stamps

What is not known -- in addition to the supercomputer data mining match-ups, INTERPOL face recognition profiles and fingerprints -- is that the US State Department has a squad of hidden Kalahari Bushmen blowgun experts who shoot an RFID micro-chip into the buttocks of persons waiting in the non-US citizen immigration line at all major arrival airports.

not in my buttocks but in my passport last cover there is a RFID micro-chip into it

:D