Please Recommend Compact Digital Camera For Me!

ChiangMai2

Please can any experienced photographers recommend a good digital compact camera for me. I have read great reviews of the Canon G10 powershot, I believe its around 20k? That is really all I want to spend, is their something else I should consider or will that do the job. Primarily it will be used for photo's of my daughter, short video's and use on holiday, landscapes, beaches etc

If their is something else I should be looking at please let me know.

Kind regards

CM2

Panasonic DMC-LX5. Around 14,500.

LX5

Or even the LX3, now under 12k in the clearance sales.

LX3

Or you could go for a GF1 with the pancake lens for 19,900. This is bigger, it's a four thirds camera, but not enormous. Then you can get other lenses if you want later on.

GF1

To be honest, go with the LX5. It does all I want.

Just a suggestion - many under 10k baht cameras take excellent photos and if you are not into a multitude of manual adjustments you would likely do well with a less expensive camera that takes good quality pictures. Then get photo shop or another quality PC program to crop, adjust contrast and tint etc. and you will have a great time with some excellent results. As to the movies I do not have any experience with the HD capable cameras but believe their are some standard cameras in the 10k range that offer HD. My intent is not to stop you from spending your money but just to present some possible alternatives. Best of luck to you.

I have the LX5 and the GF1 and they are both great cameras. But the new Olympus seems to outperform the LX5 in many areas. The GF1 with the 20mm F1.7 lens will beat all of them and can indeed be had for less than 20k nowadays.

Would be interested to know of a camera for less than 10k that takes excellent photos.

I have the LX5 and the GF1 and they are both great cameras. But the new Olympus seems to outperform the LX5 in many areas. The GF1 with the 20mm F1.7 lens will beat all of them and can indeed be had for less than 20k nowadays.

Would be interested to know of a camera for less than 10k that takes excellent photos.

A stolen one.

That XZ-1 has a 28mm lens, which is why some still lean towards the LX5 24mm for landscape.

A stolen one.

That XZ-1 has a 28mm lens, which is why some still lean towards the LX5 24mm for landscape.

Good point.

What is an excellent photo? You do not need a Lieca to take an excellent photo (to turn back time) and you don't need the highest price camera today to do so. For commercial publication there are points to have such equipment but for normal consumer user it is often a waste of money - just like that Lamborghini for driving to the Bangkok mall.

What is an excellent photo? You do not need a Lieca to take an excellent photo (to turn back time) and you don't need the highest price camera today to do so. For commercial publication there are points to have such equipment but for normal consumer user it is often a waste of money - just like that Lamborghini for driving to the Bangkok mall.

One that does a reasonable job of capturing colours accurately, produces a pleasingly sharp image, is not filled with noise, has sufficient dynamic range so the highlight are not blown out and shadows are not filled with dark noise, and doesn't produce images that look like mush when viewed full size. And a camera that allows the photographer sufficient control so he can build his skills over time if he wishes.

The OP has a budget of 20K. For that money can buy something like a GF1 which produces images of a quality sufficient to satisfy the demands of stock libraries. Or he can spend less than 10k and get a sensor the size of a small pea, a camera that only produces acceptable images in ideal conditions and is likely to disappoint more than it pleases. You pay your money and you take your choice!

OK - I'll bite - here's my money where my mouth is. This photo (if I can get it to load up) was taken with a 3,000 Baht 5 MP Cannon. The file is large so one can better pick it apart. Zoom in and look at the detail. If people just need a point and shoot then the cheaper cameras are just fine. I have expensive cameras as well but can not cavalierly fault the inexpensive ones. Depends on what you need. The 10, 12 and 14 MP ones available for less than 10000 should be much better than my cheapy but I am satisfied. Again I definitely recommend some good software for post processing

post-116788-0-14917800-1298192643_thumb.!

OK - I'll bite - here's my money where my mouth is. This photo (if I can get it to load up) was taken with a 3,000 Baht 5 MP Cannon. The file is large so one can better pick it apart. Zoom in and look at the detail. If people just need a point and shoot then the cheaper cameras are just fine. I have expensive cameras as well but can not cavalierly fault the inexpensive ones. Depends on what you need. The 10, 12 and 14 MP ones available for less than 10000 should be much better than my cheapy but I am satisfied. Again I definitely recommend some good software for post processing

Is good that.

Quality was lost in the megapixel race. P&S they say you should keep to a maximum 10MP, to do with the sensor density, hughden will know.

Like the Canon G12 dropped back to 10MP was it, where the G11 was 14MP. Something like that.

OP could look at the superzooms too, like the Fujifilm HS20 EXR.

For the size posted, a 5mp camera will take a better image than a 10mp camera, everything else being equal. Even so, the dog on the right seems to have white area where there should be brown fur, highlights being blown out due to a small dynamic range from the small sensor.

Have to disagree on the super zoom option, these ridiculous zoom lengths result in poor image quality.

I'll put my mouth where my money went. I bought the GF1 with the 20mm f.7 lens, and it has been the most enjoyable camera I have ever owned. It regularly produces images that delight me. I have a Canon 1D which cost me 150,000 baht and I admire it for what it can do. But I love my GF1 and it is my camera of choice unless I need to capture sports.

Ouch - OK it looks a little washed out but the fur is white as can be seen by the pure white hair visible in the shadows on her chest. It is just an overzealous love of a Master for his Pack that makes me overlook these little things but you are indeed correct. The OP should definitely look for a camera with good dynamic range specs within his price range. Even expensive cameras have this problem though and therefore the industries large amount of work going into HDRI and multiple exposures and better capture technology etc. The technology needs to move forward to overcome this pervasive problem in any price range camera. But surely for a 3000 baht 4 year old camera it ain't all bad!

To the OP - many unbiased web sites have actual comparison photos from different cameras of different price ranges. A good idea may be to search these out and look them over and decide what you like and what is acceptable. None of us really know how much of a weekend, semi-pro or professional photographer you plan on becoming. And clearly the more expensive cameras being mentioned are very nice pieces of kit. I just wanted to point out potential options for the weekend warrior. Again, best of luck to you!

If the Canon G10 or newer G11 of newer G12 fits your size and feature requirements it really is a fine camera.

If you want the exact same sensor and supporting electronics in a much smaller package with a faster lens consider the Canon S90 or S95.

A lot of good points in this thread about not needing the latest, greatest, or biggest camera.. but its just as easy to buy too little camera as too much camera. Spend some time studying features, make a list of 'possibles', and then head over to a photo site like smugmug.com or pbase.com where you can search for images by camera type.. and make sure you're happy with the image quality. Also notice how much light the images were captured in and what ISO was used. Spending a few hours of research now, might save you thousands of baht later. It's almost always a mistake to buy a camera model based on someone else's recommendation without knowing and matching their needs to yours, and examining the images to make sure they meet your expectations.

Edited by bkksw

If the Canon G10 or newer G11 of newer G12 fits your size and feature requirements it really is a fine camera.

If you want the exact same sensor and supporting electronics in a much smaller package with a faster lens consider the Canon S90 or S95.

A lot of good points in this thread about not needing the latest, greatest, or biggest camera.. but its just as easy to buy too little camera as too much camera. Spend some time studying features, make a list of 'possibles', and then head over to a photo site like smugmug.com or pbase.com where you can search for images by camera type.. and make sure you're happy with the image quality. Also notice how much light the images were captured in and what ISO was used. Spending a few hours of research now, might save you thousands of baht later. It's almost always a mistake to buy a camera model based on someone else's recommendation without knowing and matching their needs to yours, and examining the images to make sure they meet your expectations.

Good post.

pixelpeeper.com and of course Flickr Camera Finder, both excellent.

I just picked up one of the new generation waterproof, dustproof and drop proof point and shoot cameras that fit into your pocket and no worries about breakage, spills etc.......and the bonus is that it takes HD video as well.

Check out the kodak playsport zx3.5mp

• 2 weeks later...

For the size posted, a 5mp camera will take a better image than a 10mp camera, everything else being equal. Even so, the dog on the right seems to have white area where there should be brown fur, highlights being blown out due to a small dynamic range from the small sensor.

Have to disagree on the super zoom option, these ridiculous zoom lengths result in poor image quality.

I'll put my mouth where my money went. I bought the GF1 with the 20mm f.7 lens, and it has been the most enjoyable camera I have ever owned. It regularly produces images that delight me. I have a Canon 1D which cost me 150,000 baht and I admire it for what it can do. But I love my GF1 and it is my camera of choice unless I need to capture sports.

I had a nikon D 80 and gave it to my daughter who could put it to good use. With two extra lenses It was simply too heavy and bulky for me to carry. I am now looking for smaller camera; your posting made me research the GF1. It looks very good except it has no rangefinder. How do you all manage to see anything in the LED screens? I can not make out any detail in the sunlight. I now know the real meaning of point and shoot - and hope I hit something.

I plan to buy the Canon G12. It has a small range finder but sufficient for me. It also has raw.

I recently had a 15 hr operation on my neck and back plus two 4 operations. Feel good now but a medium weight camera with one zoom lens is what I need. Are there any other camersI should consider ? I just do general shooting of friends and family; scenic pictures on beach; boating pictures; and just shots while walking downtown and on the water front. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

I had a nikon D 80 and gave it to my daughter who could put it to good use. With two extra lenses It was simply too heavy and bulky for me to carry. I am now looking for smaller camera; your posting made me research the GF1. It looks very good except it has no rangefinder. How do you all manage to see anything in the LED screens? I can not make out any detail in the sunlight. I now know the real meaning of point and shoot - and hope I hit something.

I plan to buy the Canon G12. It has a small range finder but sufficient for me. It also has raw.

I recently had a 15 hr operation on my neck and back plus two 4 operations. Feel good now but a medium weight camera with one zoom lens is what I need. Are there any other camersI should consider ? I just do general shooting of friends and family; scenic pictures on beach; boating pictures; and just shots while walking downtown and on the water front. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

The GF1 has an, optional, viewfinder. Not brilliant, but preferable to squinting at the screen. The GF1 allows you to play with different lenses, has a bigger sensor and therefore better image quality, better high ISO capabilities etc. Another choice might be the new Olympus EPL-2 which is about 22,000 baht and produces beautiful JPEGs straight out of the camera. Same sensor as GF1 and same choice of lenses. Also has optional viewfinder which is much better than the GF1 offering.

I want a small purse sized camera (for a small purse- I do not carry a "mom bag") that takes good pics and doesn't turn on in the darn bag. I have a panasonic lumix, takes good pics but the stupid on switch turns on too easily and when I take my camera out of my bag its battery is dead and the lens is stuck open. Must frustrating.

So, comparable in size and quality to the panasonic lumix series? the canon G12 is great I understand and looks nice but its way too big for my purse.

I want a small purse sized camera (for a small purse- I do not carry a "mom bag") that takes good pics and doesn't turn on in the darn bag. I have a panasonic lumix, takes good pics but the stupid on switch turns on too easily and when I take my camera out of my bag its battery is dead and the lens is stuck open. Must frustrating.

So, comparable in size and quality to the panasonic lumix series? the canon G12 is great I understand and looks nice but its way too big for my purse.

Which Panasonic Lumix do you have, there are many?

Which Panasonic Lumix do you have, there are many?

DMC FX 107- its an older camera and if it weren't for the really annoying on/off switch I would be more than happy with it. But, the switch is beginning to be a deal breaker for me, its very frustrating to take the camera somewhere only to find I can't use it because it turned on in my bag. :(

I went and looked at other similar sized Panasonics and they all have the same stupid switch so they are off my list

What do you think of the Canon ixus (digital elph in the US)?

Depends on your definition of "good pics" as you stated in your requirements. Personally, I don't think the ixus or other point and shoot cameras produce acceptable quality or give the photographer sufficient control; but only you can decide what works for you.