Best, Most Competent Honda Main Dealer

appropriate

I would have to say Sumet Cycle Honda on Prachachuen Rd. in Bang Khen. My wife and I own and manage it. I'm American, so I like to think I can speak English. My wife is Thai but studied overseas and speaks perfect English. I'm new to the business, but my wife has been doing it for years.

Our mechanics are all skilled, knowledgeable, and professional. We will always make it clear to them what your problem is and exactly what you need done.

We also provide hassle free financing with great interest rates to foreigners.

We are part of a family run network of dealers, so we also sell and can provide financing for Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Vespa.

You can check out our Honda site at www.hondasumetcycle.com or visit our Facebook page at Sumet Cycle Company to see other bikes.

Check out www.akecycle.com for Vespas. (sorry, no English version yet, but great photos)

Brian: 081-919-8570

Edited by SumetCycle
  • Like 2

I like the finance for foreigners bit. I know this sounds like you are selling through the forum, however I think it would be really useful to know what the criteria is for finance for a foreigner, and maybe give an example for a new cbr150 and a cbr250? The example does not have to be accurate; roughly based on list prices? Individuals can then haggle for better prices, etc, offline/through PMs.

Edited by MaiChai

I like the finance for foreigners bit. I know this sounds like you are selling through the forum, however I think it would be really useful to know what the criteria is for finance for a foreigner, and maybe give an example for a new cbr150 and a cbr250? The example does not have to be accurate; roughly based on list prices? Individuals can then haggle for better prices, etc, offline/through PMs.

With a work permit and employment contract financing is usually not a problem. At the very least, we would need an employment contract and a reference from your employer. This said, we have our own finance company and can be flexible depending on the situation the customer is in.

CBR 250 with ABS: 130,000

Down payment: 39,000

Interest rate: 1.25%

Down payment: 26,000 (Thai Guarantor required)

CBR 250 w/o ABS: 120,000

Down payment: 36,000

Down payment: 24,000 (Thai Guarantor required)

CBR 150: 80,000

Down payment: 24,000

Interest rate: 1.69%

Down payment: 15,000 (Thai Guarantor required)

Interest rate: 1.69%

There is a high demand for these bikes. AP Honda can't send them to the dealers fast enough. I'm sorry to say that if you ordered today, you could be looking at a two month wait for any of the above models.

Edited by SumetCycle

Great stuff Brian, cheers. Great to have a western managed Honda dealer here.

I'll be due for my 6000km service next week, and would also like to get some small stuff checked out. Nothing major, but not having a technical language barrier and thought process to negate would be great.

Will give you a shout sometime in the next week or two.

btw, do you or will you have an oil filter in stock?

Edited by appropriate

I would have to say Sumet Cycle Honda on Prachachuen Rd. in Bang Khen. My wife and I own and manage it. I'm American, so I like to think I can speak English. My wife is Thai but studied overseas and speaks perfect English. I'm new to the business, but my wife has been doing it for years.

Our mechanics are all skilled, knowledgeble, and professional. We will always make it clear to them what your problem is and exactly what you want done?

We are part of a family run network of dealers, so we also sell and can provide financing for Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Vespa.

You can check out our Honda site at www.hondasumetcycle.com or visit our Facebook page at Sumet Cycle Company to see other bikes.

Check out www.akecycle.com for Vespas. (sorry, no English version yet, but great photos)

Good stuff Brian!

Do you know, or can you ask the missus if she knows if/when Honda might complete their mothballed Big Wing showroom in Bangkok?

They're pretty much the only company still missing from the big bike scene here in Thailand.

Cheers!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

I have spoken to Sumet, and they are indeed very helpful and honest and speak English - well kind of..... American :P BUT seeing as the owner is trumpetting his own cause here ( and good on you for putting yourself out there) can I ask why you are asking 130k for the abs, when Honda was recomending 115K????:whistling: A fair question i feel, given all the other rantings on the dedicated CBR page........

Honda was recomending
There is a high demand for these bikes. AP Honda can't send them to the dealers fast enough. I'm sorry to say that if you ordered today, you could be looking at a two month wait for any of the above models.

If you can sell a product for 115k and have a two month waiting list, or sell it for 130k and have a two month waiting list, which one would you choose eezergood?

I have spoken to Sumet, and they are indeed very helpful and honest and speak English - well kind of..... American :P BUT seeing as the owner is trumpetting his own cause here ( and good on you for putting yourself out there) can I ask why you are asking 130k for the abs, when Honda was recomending 115K????:whistling: A fair question i feel, given all the other rantings on the dedicated CBR page........

I am curious as to why so many who are interested in this CBR are against a business making a profit. It's a suggested price, at the end of the day if they wish to sell it for 100kbht or 150kbht it is up to the individuals shop. Fact is, i really do not see why they should lower the price. Then again I own a Ninja, and did not complain about the price :whistling: . Just a a fair statement.

:jap:

I am curious as to why so many who are interested in this CBR are against a business making a profit. It's a suggested price, at the end of the day if they wish to sell it for 100kbht or 150kbht it is up to the individuals shop. Fact is, i really do not see why they should lower the price. Then again I own a Ninja, and did not complain about the price :whistling: . Just a a fair statement.

:jap:

Certainly, the matter simply adds up to a typical case of market supply and demand. As a dealer, I might add 20 or even 30K to the price of such an item if I would sell. As a consumer, I might well walk away and do business with another dealer - if another performed the miracle of putting the bike in my hands according to the promised date at a better price. These are typical aspects of any purchase involving a free market.

Fixed prices do NOT promise anything other than a reasonable price to the purchaser, the manufacturer having decided the profit margin for distribution and dealer - i.e., no competition at those levels, and "reasonable" decided by the seller. Hmm.

But to return to the service issue, this thread needs more disinterested contributions based on personal experience. Be good if those trying out any suggestions posted results!!!

Well quite. I actually inquired at a variety of dealers in the area near Sumet. Sumet indeed has a woman manager who's American English is incredibly good.

Also, I was quoted 120,000 non abs and 130,000 abs at Sumet. They don't have any 150 or 250 available for sale there at present. Seemed much more geared to scooter/step-through sales.

Honestly, she didn't really seem to want (or able) to sell one/order one to me, and said it was hard to get hold of them at the moment. Fair enough, gave me a brochure, but I wasn't impressed to be honest and the boys in the slightly less than professional workshop looked no more or less proficient than any other small dealer I've seen, and quite less so than many more modern workshops. Still, horses for courses.

In Saphan Mai, shop looked good, they had 250s for sale, but they had the cheek to quote 130,000 non-abs and 140,000 abs. I smiled quite a lot and left quickly.

Small Honda dealer at Pongpetch junction quoted me 110,000 for non abs, although he said they had some before but had sold all they had fast. Another dealer nearby the same 110,000 -non abs / 120,000 abs and they had one bike still available.

As you can get the service anywhere with any Honda dealer (supposedly) with service coupons, it would seem pointless to pay more than 110,000. Heard of people paying just 106,000 for the non-abs. Perhaps those all snapped up already.

Pay less at the shop with best price seems a better choice TBH. Then spend the extra change on some Thai lessons/safety equipment/petrol. The first one would pay off in the end when you need to converse with Thais and could be handy when u want to explain something to the mechanic, not the front of shop worker.....

Happy hunting.

Our mechanics are all skilled, knowledgeble, and professional. We will always make it clear to them what your problem is and exactly what you want done?

Good stuff Brian!

Do you know, or can you ask the missus if she knows if/when Honda might complete their mothballed Big Wing showroom in Bangkok?

They're pretty much the only company still missing from the big bike scene here in Thailand.

Cheers!

Tony

Hello Tony,

I'm not sure what's going on at the moment with that. My wife said the investment for it was between AP Honda and the company that does Honda cars. Some sort of in-fighting or disagreement between them stopped the project. If I hear anything else I'll let you know.

It is a simple case of supply and demand. As I mentioned there is a two month waitng list for these bikes. When the the supply increases the price will go down. We have even had cases of people offering us more than 130k so they can get their bikes sooner. So if I have customers willing to pay 130k or more in some cases, why would I sell for 115k? If I were a customer, I would be upset at AP Honda for not meeting demand, not the dealers.

It is a simple case of supply and demand. As I mentioned there is a two month waitng list for these bikes. When the the supply increases the price will go down. We have even had cases of people offering us more than 130k so they can get their bikes sooner. So if I have customers willing to pay 130k or more in some cases, why would I sell for 115k? If I were a customer, I would be upset at AP Honda for not meeting demand, not the dealers.

I am surprised that you have a two month wait, here in Hua Hin the Honda dealer gets at least one in per week.

I am surprised that you have a two month wait, here in Hua Hin the Honda dealer gets at least one in per week.

Der... Polulation of Hua Hin roughly 85 thousand, population of Bangkok estimated to be around 10 million. Somehow I imagine Honda sells a few more bikes in Bangkok than they do Hua Hin... :rolleyes:

Bangkokians in a hurry might do well to buy a bike in another province and ride it home.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Well quite. I actually inquired at a variety of dealers in the area near Sumet. Sumet indeed has a woman manager who's American English is incredibly good.

Also, I was quoted 120,000 non abs and 130,000 abs at Sumet. They don't have any 150 or 250 available for sale there at present. Seemed much more geared to scooter/step-through sales.

Honestly, she didn't really seem to want (or able) to sell one/order one to me, and said it was hard to get hold of them at the moment. Fair enough, gave me a brochure, but I wasn't impressed to be honest and the boys in the slightly less than professional workshop looked no more or less proficient than any other small dealer I've seen, and quite less so than many more modern workshops. Still, horses for courses.

In Saphan Mai, shop looked good, they had 250s for sale, but they had the cheek to quote 130,000 non-abs and 140,000 abs. I smiled quite a lot and left quickly.

Small Honda dealer at Pongpetch junction quoted me 110,000 for non abs, although he said they had some before but had sold all they had fast. Another dealer nearby the same 110,000 -non abs / 120,000 abs and they had one bike still available.

As you can get the service anywhere with any Honda dealer (supposedly) with service coupons, it would seem pointless to pay more than 110,000. Heard of people paying just 106,000 for the non-abs. Perhaps those all snapped up already.

Pay less at the shop with best price seems a better choice TBH. Then spend the extra change on some Thai lessons/safety equipment/petrol. The first one would pay off in the end when you need to converse with Thais and could be handy when u want to explain something to the mechanic, not the front of shop worker.....

Happy hunting.

We are the dealer at Pongpetch junction, so I'm a bit confused.

If you did in fact came to Sumet Cycle at Pongpetch junction, you certainly could have told us the color you wanted and put your name on the waiting list. I think it's a bit unfair to say that we were unwilling/unable to sell to you.

I also think it is unfair to make judgements about the competence of my mechanics based on brief look in the service area. We service a ton of bikes during the course of the day, and yes, things can sometimes look messy/unorganized.

I know you are probably looking for a lower price, but like I said, you are more than welcome to come down and put your name on the waiting list. Sorry I missed you when you came by, I must have stepped out. I'm usually there from 9-6 Monday to Friday, if you would like to come by again.

Brian

If you have genuine issues with this dealer, then in my opinion you should have contacted him directly, but that said we all you know what they say about opinions and <deleted>.

Again not sure what useful info you are adding to this topic. I am not sure about the last part at all to be honest. :bah: (sorry this post seems to have been deleted too, though no reference is made)

BACK TO THE TOPIC the smallish Honda dealer just near Major Cineplex Ratchayothin: (and for the benefit of the OP)

1) had a black ABS CBR 250 available for sale at 120,000 baht at the weekend

2) has a very nice professional looking, tidy and well organized workshop with 4 very new hydraulic lifts all independently equipped with air supply, exhaust extractors etc, well arranged and completely tidy tool tray boxes (very professional looking), 4 mechanics and a workshop administrator as well as 2 or 3 office staff, one of whom speaks reasonable (albeit not perfect) English. Always looks that way when I've been there.

Sorry - I was in my second post simply responding directly to a few comments which suggested a) that I hadn't been to a particular delaship (when I had) and B) that a disorganized workshop ( "messy" ) and not equipped with the sort of modern stuff mentioned in (2) above could be considered as being professional.

Also, just trying to help the original poster get an idea of what else might be important besides English speaking staff in the front office, which won't necessarily get you better service in a workshop.

Before you buy why not check the workshops out at a shop you have heard about/know and then pop along to the shop I mentioned @ Major Ratchayothin and tell me which one you would like your pride and joy serviced in.

I don't expect anyone to believe per se what I have said, just look for yourself and find the truth. Easy.

Happy Riding folks. :jap:

Edited by road2dharma

BACK TO THE TOPIC the smallish Honda dealer just near Major Cineplex Ratchayothin: (and for the benefit of the OP)

1) had a black ABS CBR 250 available for sale at 120,000 baht at the weekend

2) has a very nice professional looking, tidy and well organized workshop with 4 very new hydraulic lifts all independently equipped with air supply, exhaust extractors etc, well arranged and completely tidy tool tray boxes (very professional looking), 4 mechanics and a workshop administrator as well as 2 or 3 office staff, one of whom speaks reasonable (albeit not perfect) English. Always looks that way when I've been there.

That's actually where I bought the bike. 110k non abs before xmas. Ride out straight away.

Wasn't happy with the competence of the young mechanics working there. Back brake lever/cable wasn't tightened when I bought it (no back brake until I took it back). And they didn't even change the oil at the 1000km service.

Edited by appropriate