Land And House On Koh Chang

About 5 years ago the wife and i bought a piece of land (just under rai and half) on koh chang,there was a small house on the land with a local family living there.The lady wanted to sell and move to mainland so we agreed on a bargain price and soon we were on the mainland at land office signing over the titles.My wife has a full chanote in her name.The house in my eyes came as a bonus,as i wanted to knock it down and build a large family house at the back of the land,but the following year we returned from uk and renovated the existing house and made it live able with new electrics ,tiled floor, painted and new doors etc.When finished we left it unfurnished as we had to return to uk and diddnt want to leave it full of gear to get possibly stolen.We also got a house book with the wife and our 2 kids name on it.

My worry is this,when we returned to uk,my employment took a positive turn and i got a great job,so our plans to live in Thailand were put on the back burner,also i decided that the kids would be better to finish there education in England.So,although we returned once to check the house a year after it was done up,we havent been back for nearly 3 years.Im worrying that maybe squatters could get in/or on the land or in an extreme case ,someone build there and try and put some claim on the land.I think this would be unheard of in a big town city,but its a worry on the islands.

We have no contacts on the island as we didnt stay any real length who we could get to check it now and then,i suppose im just after some reassurance on the legal side of things.

Thanks NEIL.

dunno if this works for you...

My cousin has a house down on the beach in Hua Hin. She built a small one room shack on one corner of the property and hired someone and his family to live there. Pays them something small, 3000 baht/month + free rent and utilities.

He looks after the property, makes sure people stay off it etc. Wife has a job elsewhere.

Win win situation for everyone.