Poor Basic Hygiene Of Thai Men

Flatouthruthefog

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as far as bathrooms and peeing: hubby also prefers to pee outside, as do all his thai buddies (its easier after a few beers to just walk over somewehre and pee, and where they mostly live here, the bathroom is usually far away from living quarters, and non too clean since its all males... however, they never, never never pee any where near their veggies/herbs. when someone is too drunk to distinguish one area from an other, someone accompanies the other to a remote area, not on the peppers please!!!!!!!!!!!!....

and frankly, since i worked in zoo/vetrinary stuff, washing less then 10-15 minutes with a good scrubbing, doesnt do much apart from washing off surface dirt. its the stuff under fingernails and between fingers that carry the bugs... as far as cleanliness, hubby and other thais cant understand why i (and most of us here, at least in the winter) shower or in the morning or in evening, but usually not two to three times a day (and yes, we have a bum washer in our toilets, grosses me out nowadays to use a bathroom that only has toilet paper, but thats an other thread or three that have run on the forum)...

and no offencse but i suppose that females have a bit more handwashing needed since we have bits and parts that create a bit more manual contact for cleanliness. i suppose males can whip itout and aim without 'manhandling' the equipment....

bina

israel

anyhow, made hubby think im nuts when i laugh out loud reading this thread... and mrs mills, lighten up, we are keeping tabs of blatant racist sentiment, its all in humour and a matter of cultural perception... :D

I guess nobody read my post that urine can be used as an antiseptic... It is that pure. It's probably cleaner than the water you are washing your hands with afterwards. It is NOT the same for a bowel movement. Feces CAN infect you and that is why some homosexual practises require a condom.

Here's a story I hear .... :lol:

Last night, I went with some friends out to a new restaurant, and noticed that the waiter who took our order carried a spoon in his shirt pocket. It seemed a little strange. When the busboy brought our water and utensils, I noticed he also had a spoon in his shirt pocket. Then I looked around I saw that all the staff had spoons in their pockets.

When the waiter came back to serve our soup I asked, "Why the spoon?"

"Well," he explained, "the restaurant's owners hired a consulting firm to revamp all our processes. After several months of analysis, they concluded that the spoon was the most frequently dropped utensil. It represents a drop frequency of approximately 3 spoons per table per hour. If our personnel are better prepared, we can reduce the number of trips back to the kitchen and save 15 man-hours per shift."

As luck would have it, I dropped my spoon and he was able to replace it with his spare. "I'll get another spoon next time I go to the kitchen instead of making an extra trip to get it right now."

I was impressed! I also noticed that there was a string hanging out of the waiter's fly.

Looking around, I noticed that all the waiters had the same string hanging from their flies. So before he walked off, I asked the waiter, "Excuse me, but can you tell me why you have that string right there?"

"Oh, certainly!" Then he lowered his voice. "Not everyone is so observant... That consulting firm I mentioned also found out that we can save time in the restroom. By tying this string to the end of our "you know what," we can pull it out without touching it and eliminate the need to wash our hands, shortening the time spent in the restroom by 76.39 percent."

"Hhmmm...After you get it out, how do you put it back?" I asked.

"Well," he whispered, "I don't know about the others... but I use a spoon."

I advocate total hygiene in all things to the level of fetishism.

I would certainly not share or eat from another's plate.

Bar peanuts ... ugh

The English "round" system which is unfussy about whose glass you get, I avoid.

I even use a paper towel to use on the handle when leaving a toilet.

Maybe a certain amount of "germs" help the system build up immunity, but it is in the head with me.

If I have to shake somebody's hand , I immediately retire to the toilet to wash.

At least you admit it is your issue, not everyone else's.

my question is how do some of you clean fetishists wrap your head around getting laid, or sexual activity in general?

i would not want to live like you do.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no3_supp/levy.htm

the antibacterial craze has another potential consequence. Reports are mounting about a possible association between infections in early childhood and decreased incidence of allergies (18). In expanding this "hygiene hypothesis," some researchers have found a correlation between too much hygiene and increased allergy (18-21). This hypothesis stems from studies that revealed an increased frequency of allergies, cases of asthma, and eczema in persons who have been raised in an environment overly protective against microorganisms. In one rural community, children who grew up on farms had fewer allergies than did their counterparts who did not live on farms (19). Graham Rook, University College, London, has likened the immune system to the brain. You have to exercise it, that is, expose it to the right antigenic information so that it matures correctly. Excessive hygiene, therefore, may interfere with the normal maturation of the immune system by eliminating the stimulation by commensal microflora (20).

I wash my hands before I use the toilet.

Yup, me too.

that's normal for people who have dirty hands. i'd do the same, wouldn't want to touch my clean pecker with dirty hands.

especially not after driving a dirty poor boy Fortuner :lol:

laugh.gif

yes, i would feel filthy stepping out of one of those fortunas as well......there should be taps built into the side of them for washing purposes wink.gif

Couldn't agree more!!

Maybe the title of this thread should be "Poor Basic Hygiene of Men".

From this thread you would think that urine might be the only thing that gets on your hands when you urinate. I would be more concerned about bacteria and other matter from the groin area. No matter how well the groin area is cleaned when bathing or after using the toilet bacteria can build up in a sweaty area. And then hygiene also depends on how well underwear is cleaned and how often underwear is changed, etc. That's assuming underwear is even worn.

Next time you touch food with your hands or touch your eyes ask yourself, "Are my hands clean enough to lick?"

Yet another thread that invites disparaging words against Thai people, one of Thai visa rules is that posters will not slag off Thailand or Thai people willy nilly, nearly every thread ends up slagging off Thailand and the people of Thailand.

Welcome to TV. It's just the same sh*t, different day. Some things never change.

That is a bit rich coming from a farang. If you asked the locals how they feel regarding farangs' hygiene, they would have a few things to complain about. For example, I am sure most Bangkokians have to hold their breath every time they stand next to a farang on the BTS. The cheesy smelly bodies of some foreigners are so overpowering. I wish these farangs would shower themselves with formaline. It might help to assuage the rancid odour of their bodies.

Therein lies the irony. Most Thais think of farangs as big, smelly, hairy apes who don't bathe nearly enough. I suspect the OP's trying to get back at those uppity Thais.

Maybe the title of this thread should be "Poor Basic Hygiene of Men".

From this thread you would think that urine might be the only thing that gets on your hands when you urinate. I would be more concerned about bacteria and other matter from the groin area. No matter how well the groin area is cleaned when bathing or after using the toilet bacteria can build up in a sweaty area. And then hygiene also depends on how well underwear is cleaned and how often underwear is changed, etc. That's assuming underwear is even worn.

Next time you touch food with your hands or touch your eyes ask yourself, "Are my hands clean enough to lick?"

I refer you to Post#70 by SBK. The phrase contained in that post "overly protective against microorganisms" and its consequences come to mind.

I have noticed that a MAJORITY of Thai men do not rinse their hands after using the urinals!

do you wash your hand after touching your nose or ears? is your pecker dirtier than your nose or ears that requires washing your hands after peeing?

I always wash my hands after picking my nose--why? Because I'm colonized with Staph aureus (SA). Staph aureus (SA) that is drug resistant is called MRSA. About 60-70% of nurses are colonized with SA, it's not a problem with them as their body is used to it, but it can cause an infection if transferred to a break of their skin, or another person's skin. In American/European population about 30% of people are comensally colonized with SA within their nares (nasal openings). Everyone should wash their hands after picking their nose.

Actually the skin on the penis, unless on needs to retract the foreskin which increases risk, is probably less a risk than nose-picking, though most humans are colonized with Staph epidermis, a common commensal (=usually present) pathogenic bacteria.

What astonishes me is that in most eateries there is soap and water to wash one's hands, but almost never any sort of clean towel (such as a paper towel). Sometimes there are air dryers but usually there is a communal towel.-

Now consider the "rinser" hanging next to most toilets. They do a good job cleaning and lessening the need for toilet paper but they must splatter fecally contaminated droplets everywhere, including back onto the hand holding the rinser. If a person washes her hands, especially if no soap is present, and then uses the "communal towel," there is a great conduit for transfer of E. coli bacteria.

Consider though the scenario: A cook uses the toilet, and washes her hands thoroughly with soap and water, then uses the communal towel, transferring a few micrograms of E. coli back onto the hands. Said cook then cooks two hamburgers, picking up the buns to place on top and transferring a microgram of E. coli to each bun. Now there are two "foments" (items that can transfer bacteria). I sit down with my Thai gf, she eats her burger, and I eat mine.

The next day I am sick with TD (Traveler's Diarrhea) (Thailand is the 4th or 5th most likely country to contract TD), but my gf is fine. Why? Because she is essentially inoculated against that particular strain of E. coli, but I, being foreign to the area am not, thus I am sickened until my body develops antibodies to the E. coli, or to enterotoxins that that particular strain produce. Once that occurs, I am unlikely to become infected again if E. coli is the culprit.

To protect oneself (and others) carry a small bottle of 70% alcohol gel. Note: There have been many, many cases where non-alcohol antibacterial gels were ineffective, and some cases where the non-alcohol gel actually harbored pathogens.

I always wash my hands after picking my nose--why? Because I'm colonized with Staph aureus (SA). Staph aureus (SA) that is drug resistant is called MRSA. About 60-70% of nurses are colonized with SA, it's not a problem with them as their body is used to it, but it can cause an infection if transferred to a break of their skin, or another person's skin. In American/European population about 30% of people are comensally colonized with SA within their nares (nasal openings). Everyone should wash their hands after picking their nose.

We're OK though living in Thailand because it's never been colonized.

i just got back from the bathroom and clicked on this post without washing my hands.

You must be Thai, Farangs would never commit such an heinous act.

i use the freefall technique to avoid tainting myself, hands on hips at all times.

I advocate total hygiene in all things to the level of fetishism.

I would certainly not share or eat from another's plate.

Bar peanuts ... ugh

The English "round" system which is unfussy about whose glass you get, I avoid.

I even use a paper towel to use on the handle when leaving a toilet.

Maybe a certain amount of "germs" help the system build up immunity, but it is in the head with me.

If I have to shake somebody's hand , I immediately retire to the toilet to wash.

dunno what you mean exactly about the English "round system", but I think you got a dose of Howard Hughes coming on

i

use the freefall technique to avoid tainting myself, hands on hips at all times.
ah yes, that is my hubby's method...

now as for washing hands in general, when working with animals, we learned to wash hands well (the 15 minute scrub) between handling different animals and also learning never never never to touch our faces... the same habit stayed with me when working in the hotel kitchen. i washed hands and used new equipment when cutting different veggies, after handling milk products, etc. and i nver touch my face.

however, i do admit that i have no problem eating something that fell on the floor, in a barn, but definately not in a mall. i will drink straight from a goat teat, but get revolted just by touching a computer keyboard that someone else has touched...touching anything in a hospital creeps me out.

i used to kiss all my animals (including snakes, yeah yeah, salamonella) , but on other hand, never get any of those travellers syndromes. i would rather use just running water and not a bar o soap, air dry (or back of jeans) rather then a communal towel. the alcoholic gels only work if they are soaked on for a long period of time. alcohol needs about ten minutes of work to kill off most bugs. so why bother? running water is still better. in our petting zoo i had a huge sign made instructing mothers to please wash hands of children with the water in the spigot and not wipe off the kids' hands with those alcohol wipes that are uselss..

and now working in tourism and food, i prefer to pretend i dont know what happens in bathrooms and kitchens (i suspend my disbelief, i guess u can call it). i have several women friends that refuse to use public toilets anywhere and therefore they suffer from constipation and urinary tract problems becasue of that. i prefer the woods to a public toilet, and a bottle of water does well for rinsing off hands ...

i feel that the potential germiness of hands from being near genitalia and urine is less problematic than the sputum hawked up by someoen with tuberculosis landing on a stair way banister that i touch, or being on a bus with no open windows when flue is going around and there are sevarl people coughing etc . since i havent been in america in 20+ years and my kids were raised in less then sterile conditions, i feel that we are less susceptible to e.coli salamanella and other 'bugs' .

but on a lighter note, maybe the guys that drink khao lao have more sterile urine with a high alcohol content, and they could wash their hands while peeing........... :lol:

bina

israel

the alcoholic gels only work if they are soaked on for a long period of time. alcohol needs about ten minutes of work to kill off most bugs.

They're not useless. and they dont need ten minutes to kill of most bugs. If I'm not incorrect, most studies show that alcohol gels kill appx. 60-70% of all germs.

If you are interested in learning how an alcoholic gel works; the gel kills of the germ by denaturing the proteins which makes up its outer membrane, and the water in the gel kills it (which is why all alcoholic gels also contains water). This is instant, there's no need for "softening up" the germ by soaking it in alcohol.

Unfortunately, it is well known that the alcohol based gel is not very effective against a number of microbes, including Norovirus. I should point out that the alcoholic gels became popular during the Swine Flu outbreak (subtype of Influenza A) and alcoholic gels kills this little bugger of in seconds.

Alcoholic gels and hand sanitizers are excellent, especially when used after washing your hands with soap and water.