New Izusu Dmax

bridge

Hope some people can give me some advice.

I am looking at getting a new DMax, undecided on the 2x2 or 4WD at this stage. Just wondering what kind of discount it is possible to negotiate of a dealers list price if purchasing without any finance.

Many thanks

Bridge

Have a look at Toyota Vigo, l mean a good look. Open and shut the doors, body panel fit and finish, slam shut the tail gate.

Big difference in build quality. Ooooops, sorry,:offtopic::D

Out of my budget unfortunately....

Cheers

Bridge

Have a look at Toyota Vigo, l mean a good look. Open and shut the doors, body panel fit and finish, slam shut the tail gate.

Cheers

Bridge

Yep, VIRGOs are overpriced, simple as that. You haven't mentioned which model you're looking at, but you should be able to pull ~5% as a cash discount on all but the absolute base models.

Don't listen to the folk here - this Isuzu D-Max is a tough, dependable and well priced truck. There's plenty of reasons why it still dukes it out with the Toyota VIRGO for the top sales rank.

Cheers

Bridge

Yep, VIRGOs are overpriced, simple as that. You haven't mentioned which model you're looking at, but you should be able to pull ~5% as a cash discount on all but the absolute base models.

Don't listen to the folk here - this Isuzu D-Max is a tough, dependable and well priced truck. There's plenty of reasons why it still dukes it out with the Toyota VIRGO for the top sales rank.

My pals 3 yr old Dmax tail gate handle mechanism broke, had little use. Said bring it over and I'll fix it. The design is grim. The sort of stuff you don't see tells all. It had fallen apart and the return spring, which was plated was rusty, unrepairable. :huh:. :)

I don't think the manufacturers in Thailand allow the distributors to offer discounts on list price. The distributors are allowed to offer extra options and gifts which come out of their cut. Things like washing machines are not out of the question and bed liners, bull bars etc are common. Paying cash is a big drawback for them however as they miss out on their commission from the finance company. I would not mention cash until you had a firm agreement on the other goodies.

I don't think the manufacturers in Thailand allow the distributors to offer discounts on list price. The distributors are allowed to offer extra options and gifts which come out of their cut. Things like washing machines are not out of the question and bed liners, bull bars etc are common. Paying cash is a big drawback for them however as they miss out on their commission from the finance company. I would not mention cash until you had a firm agreement on the other goodies.

Good idea. :)

I would love to see a 2X2 DMax .. or any brand really! whistling.gif

See what l can do, 454 or 502 transplant to make it go OK. :)

Yes you need a huge engine if you want to drive on just 2 wheels ..

You see it works like this:

4X4 = four by four = four wheels on the vehicle four who impel/push it.

6X4 = six by four = six wheels on the vehicle four who´s working.

So ... 2X2 = two by two = two wheels on the vehicle and two who make´s it go forward/backward!

I know the Germans had a BMW motosai with sidecar during the war who could do that but the latest D-Maz .. ? blink.gif

I would love to see that! 5555 biggrin.gif

The D-Max (in 4 cab Highlander form) is a much easier vehicle to live with than the Vigo. Better driving position, it feels a lot smaller (I think it is in reality) and is miles easier to park, see the corners of etc. The Vigo also seems to have much softer suspension and sort of lollops around, bouncy like.

The Vigo rules amongst expats in the city but the D-Max rules up country and amongst Thais.

The model the OP is looking at (Rodeo 4-door 4WD) is incredibly good value - 163HP 3.0L TD, 5MT, 4WD, DVD with LCD, GPS Navi, Rear LSD in 2WD mode, nice alloy wheels etc - for just 816K Baht.

The only model that gets close to it IMHO is the Triton Plus - but there you're losing 4WD and gaining 4AT, getting 5 years warranty, full Leather interior, and an extra 15HP for slightly less money.

By comparison, this money in a Toyota only buys you a Prerunner which is 2WD, MT, No DVD, No LCD, No Navi, fabric seats, only 3 years warranty, and No LSD.

On top of that, with Isuzu and Mitsubishi, good freebie bundles, 0% interest rates, and cash discounts ARE available, plus their vehicles are available without a 2 or 3 month queue.

Only logical choice is the Isuzu or Mitsu - leave the Toyota for the sheep :)

The D-Max (in 4 cab Highlander form) is a much easier vehicle to live with than the Vigo. Better driving position, it feels a lot smaller (I think it is in reality) and is miles easier to park, see the corners of etc. The Vigo also seems to have much softer suspension and sort of lollops around, bouncy like.

The Vigo rules amongst expats in the city but the D-Max rules up country and amongst Thais.

You sound like a lady driver :(:D.

But you are right, the Vigo rules, the farang obviously knows about build quality and is not so interested in the free gismo's and fluffy dice that they give away with other makes, which they have to do to sell them.

Mr. Average Thai up country doesn't care if his ride squeaks and rattles after a few years cos he's brain washed into whats no.1, Isuzu and if you buy a Nissan you are poor. Government job people who borrow money for a truck must buy Isuzu, well thats what my sister inlaw told me, as they really wanted a Vigo.:huh: but she could have been telling porkies eh.

But you are right, the Vigo rules, the farang obviously knows about build quality and is not so interested in the free gismo's and fluffy dice that they give away with other makes, which they have to do to sell them.

Do you realize that Isuzu D-Max, Mitsubishi Triton and Toyota Hilux ALL score above overage on both initial quality and long-term quality surveys, and depending on the survey date, any one of them can rank 1st, 2nd or 3rd? Do you realize that in Thailand, these quality surveys are also blurred by defects/issues with 3rd party accessories fitted at the time of sale (i.e. things not under the quality control of the Manufacturer)?

The bottom line is there is absolutely no consistent evidence at all to split these 3 up when it comes to quality - different day, different result. The only consistency in the results is that Isuzu, Mitsu and Toyota will always beat Mazda, Ford, Nissan and TATA in these surveys.

Maybe it's time for me to just stick with my regular Thai language forums and flag this place :crazy:

Do you realize that Isuzu D-Max, Mitsubishi Triton and Toyota Hilux ALL score above overage on both initial quality and long-term quality surveys, and depending on the survey date, any one of them can rank 1st, 2nd or 3rd? Do you realize that in Thailand, these quality surveys are also blurred by defects/issues with 3rd party accessories fitted at the time of sale (i.e. things not under the quality control of the Manufacturer)?

The bottom line is there is absolutely no consistent evidence at all to split these 3 up when it comes to quality - different day, different result. The only consistency in the results is that Isuzu, Mitsu and Toyota will always beat Mazda, Ford, Nissan and TATA in these surveys.

Maybe it's time for me to just stick with my regular Thai language forums and flag this place :crazy:

Sorry ol' chum but must disagree. Not interested toooo much on who writes what in surveys as someone is always on the take or earning browny points, and if the survey was done in LOS l would tear it up.

I have numerous pals with Isuzu's and Vigo's and so what l write here is from my own experience and investigations into stuff. Hands on, if you like.

Yes, when a ride is new in the show room everything is fine but a couple of years on the quality comes to the fore but you pay a premium for it, Toyota. Will not argue the point but it's my view. :)

Sorry ol' chum but must disagree. Not interested toooo much on who writes what in surveys as someone is always on the take or earning browny points, and if the survey was done in LOS l would tear it up.

I have numerous pals with Isuzu's and Vigo's and so what l write here is from my own experience and investigations into stuff. Hands on, if you like.

Yes, when a ride is new in the show room everything is fine but a couple of years on the quality comes to the fore but you pay a premium for it, Toyota. Will not argue the point but it's my view. :)

As you do I have numerous friends with Isuzu's and Vigos. Result is quite simple. Everybody loves their Isuzu and have had no problems after many many years. Majority of Thais in all villages where I live have Isuzus and some are 20 years or more old with no major problems.

Friends with Toyotas are reasonably happy but have concerns re handling and braking and of course Toyotas problems with safety over recent years.

One friend had two near misses after brake failures on his Vigo and ended up returning car to dealer and simply walked away from the showroom. He refused to sell the car to anyone else as he did not want a prospective buyer to have their future in jeopardy due to the cars ongoing brake problems. Dealer had already fixed the problem twice!

I myself have a Toyota Corolla back home and absolutely love it. It is up to 200,000 kms so far and still going strong.

Here I have a new Dmax and after 3 months am very happy with it but only time will tell if it proves to be a good vehicle. I did consider the Vigo but given my friends dissatisfaction with this model and after a careful look at the Vigo and several discussions with the Toyota dealer it was a simple decision to buy Isuzu.

I did however buy my vehicle outside of my town as the local dealer showed a lack of knowledge about the vehicle features and I got a better deal in the nearby town.

Two wheel drive.

I live in the sticks, mud roads, farm etc. DMAX 2-wheel drive, never been stuck. 4x4 is for newbe expats living in Patters.

My recommendation? Get the cheapest, normal height truck you can find. (A new Toyota Vigo, single cab is around 400k, have found this price). Perhaps you don't even need the rear seats, dunno. Then take it to a good little hole-in-the-wall garage where they will put a suspension lift kit on it raising it 6 to 8 inches, slide rails each side, a good polished rear fender to match the slide rails, and simple soft cover for the load bay . . . likely all for less than 10,000 Baht.

If you're feeling flush, put some alloys on it and a steel front fender with a winch. Uber cool!

The D-MAX here has been no end of trouble, I mean like everything goes wrong.

:) , but sorry you've had aggravation.

:) , but sorry you've had aggravation.

Dire thing.

Engine blew on a hose burst, no warning.

Power windows ceased.

Central locking failed.

Locks and ignition ceased.

Rear bay door handle failed.

Aircon fails routinely.

Fuel gauge failed.

Cabin air lever ceased.

Suspension dire, although new shocks sorted it, but double the price of a Ford Ranger. Still noisy.

No power. 2.5 Di is pedestrian at best. Turbo works if it feels like it.

Next will be;

Toyota Vigo, single cab

2.5 diesel

aluminium dropside, like the Tata Xenon one

3-6 tonne raised suspension kit

Plastic bumpers replaced with plated steel ones

Winch

Bigger wheels with All Terrain hard compound tyres

Proper thick rubber/plastic interior, no leather fancy nonsense.

Edited by MJP

I'm talking about JD Power surveys, so the people who write them are car owners - definitely not to be trusted right?

And your anti-Thai sentiment expressed here makes you sound like nothing but an arrogant and ignorant fool, IMHO.

I would love to see a 2X2 DMax .. or any brand really! whistling.gif

See what l can do, 454 or 502 transplant to make it go OK. :)

Yes you need a huge engine if you want to drive on just 2 wheels ..

You see it works like this:

4X4 = four by four = four wheels on the vehicle four who impel/push it.

6X4 = six by four = six wheels on the vehicle four who´s working.

So ... 2X2 = two by two = two wheels on the vehicle and two who make´s it go forward/backward!

I know the Germans had a BMW motosai with sidecar during the war who could do that but the latest D-Maz .. ? blink.gif

I would love to see that! 5555 biggrin.gif

Truth is 2X4 is 2 wheels driving a 4 wheel vehicle (if equipt with limited slip drive or posi rear) actually 1X4 if not so equipt. Try spinning rear tires and see which one turns.

4X4 is always at best 3X4 if rear is limited slip or posi track. If not so equipt, 2X4. 1 front, 1 rear. Can get aftermarket posi for front but extremely dangerous for public roads.

Recommend, if buying a SUV, limited slip rear. Save money by not paying for 4X4 unless you plan on severe driving or need options only available on 4x4.

PU Truck, again limited slip and 4x4 if you plan on use in areas of wet or mud. Empty trucks suck in low traction areas unless weight in rear.

My experience is from Canada where most traction issues were snow related and handled quite well with limited slip SUV and exteme 4x4ing out in the bush using differencial locks front and rear (not for public roads).

In Thailand any well equipt SUV 2x4 or truck 4x4 will do if traction is needed.

The price of a toyota is: 10% name, the rest a very fine vehicle which can often be bought from other manufactures. Personal tastes I would think?

Now about colour HaHaHa

I have owned many different vehicles over the years here in Thailand. Three of which were Toyota pickups. The first one was a great truck. The second one was pretty good but had many rattles. The last one was a true lemon. It was a top of the line 4X4 four door. Some of the troubles were; Air bag warning light, Power window problems, Oil leaks, Radiator blew up, Oil pressure warning light flickering and finally when it couldn't be trusted to start it was time to trade it in. I took quite a beating on the price because I didn't want to sell it privately. I didn't want to take a chance on the buyer taking revenge on me. A brake job and new boots for the front axles cost me over 20,000 baht at the Toyota dealer. The dealer was eventually able to repair everything except the starting problem. It would just click. The alternator and battery were fine and the Toyota dealer could find no other problems. At 90,000 kilometers and four years old, I got 350,000 baht trade in.

My 2004 Nissan Frontier at about 90,000 kilometers has been totally problem free and is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned. My 2007 Ford Focus Ghia has also been problem free other than hitting a dog and smashing all the plastic junk they use in place of a decent bumper. It cost the insurance company 39,000 baht to replace the smashed plastic junk. There will be no more cars for me.

I'm talking about JD Power surveys, so the people who write them are car owners - definitely not to be trusted right?

And your anti-Thai sentiment expressed here makes you sound like nothing but an arrogant and ignorant fool, IMHO.

Anti- Thai, don't think so.

I have just been around the block a few times with my eye's open. In fact you are the fool to even make the suggestion.

We all have opinions on stuff here and many items discussed relate to difficulties with our rides problems and fixing stuff as opposed to farang land, so please don't bring the race card into a motor forum eh. :rolleyes:

I have just been around the block a few times with my eye's open. In fact you are the fool to even make the suggestion.

We all have opinions on stuff here and many items discussed relate to difficulties with our rides problems and fixing stuff as opposed to farang land, so please don't bring the race card into a motor forum eh. :rolleyes:

I didn't bring anything here, you did. Your post was a straightforward statement that whoever is behind the JD Power quality surveys is untrustworthy, and that any survey done in Thailand deserves only to be torn up. Your words, simple as that.

The only thing I did is bring some actual facts into the conversation.

Facts like the Toyota Vigo suffers an average of 80-100 defects within the first 3 months of ownership per 100 cars produced in Thailand. And facts like Isuzu D-Max and the Mistubishi Triton are roughly the same. Suprise, surprise.

By contrast, you try to convice people that the Toyota VIGO (or any Toyota for that matter it seems) has a substantially lower defect rate than competing brands, and that is just simply not true.

Now you may again try to argue that the JD Power quality surveys these statistics come from are untrustworthy, but I'd suggest you do some research on the matter before going down that path ;)

I appreciate that your Vigo is probably the only new car you've ever purchased in Thailand, and you've had a good run with it. That does not by extension mean that other VIGO's don't have issues, or that other makes somehow do experience elevated numbers of issues. It's somewhat natural for one to "stick up" for the brand or model of car they currently own (lest suffer from buyer's remorse), but in the spirit of "helping others" (which you so reguarly push), do you not think that your public posts should be based on the best available facts when possible, and not be construed as being irrationally biased?

I didn't bring anything here, you did. Your post was a straightforward statement that whoever is behind the JD Power quality surveys is untrustworthy, and that any survey done in Thailand deserves only to be torn up. Your words, simple as that.

The only thing I did is bring some actual facts into the conversation.

Facts like the Toyota Vigo suffers an average of 80-100 defects within the first 3 months of ownership per 100 cars produced in Thailand. And facts like Isuzu D-Max and the Mistubishi Triton are roughly the same. Suprise, surprise.

By contrast, you try to convice people that the Toyota VIGO (or any Toyota for that matter it seems) has a substantially lower defect rate than competing brands, and that is just simply not true.

Now you may again try to argue that the JD Power quality surveys these statistics come from are untrustworthy, but I'd suggest you do some research on the matter before going down that path ;)

I appreciate that your Vigo is probably the only new car you've ever purchased in Thailand, and you've had a good run with it. That does not by extension mean that other VIGO's don't have issues, or that other makes somehow do experience elevated numbers of issues. It's somewhat natural for one to "stick up" for the brand or model of car they currently own (lest suffer from buyer's remorse), but in the spirit of "helping others" (which you so reguarly push), do you not think that your public posts should be based on the best available facts when possible, and not be construed as being irrationally biased?

Go read your original post again, there is no mention of JD Power, you talked surveys, I assumed Thai surveys, hence MY thoughts on such surveys here.

But l have a JD Power No.1 sticker on my screen.

You think cos l own a Toyota that l think everything else is rubbished :D, not so and a wrong assumption by yourself. My posts are facts from MY perspective using my eyes, and l don't mean reading surveys, don't care if you or others don't like it, but if l point out stuff about a ride then those out there looking to buy can chew over what is written, and that goes for any ones input, even your factual stuff.

Still in shock about the race card when many problems discussed here are problems dealing with the natives for what ever motoring reason. :huh: