Goat Cheese Opportunity

Simon43 asks whether goat rearing is a special skill, such as would allow foreigners to participate in the otherwise forbidden business of animal husbandry. I suggested dairy goat farming is such a skill. I have an even better suggestion: we have been very successful in breeding females. Our May-born goat kids were female to a ratio of 3:1 (the ratio according to nature is 1:1). Our current "litter", born these last two weeks,  is 5 females to 1 male! This remarkable breeding skill could have far-reaching application.

Goatfarmer I think they need your skills in New Zealand, if this skill could be applied to "sheep" you could branch out into a dating service.

Edited by mijan246

Goatfarmer:

On a serious note, I have around 1/2 rai of 'jungle' (mainly wild grasses and weeds) which is economically crippling to keep in any sort of shape. If I bought a goat (or two), would they eat the grasses thereby keeping it relatively short?

Yes. You would need two, as they are sociable creatures and require company. Half a rai would support two goats. You would need to spend about 200 baht per month on supplemental food. 12% protein cow concentrate would suffice. You would also need to provide for dry food in the event of rain, as they are unable to eat wet food. (They die of bloat within two hours.) If there is ample dry food available, they won't bother with the wet food. Two goats would be quite easy to care for. They would keep the brush and grass down, and thereby lower fire risk and snakes. They're also great creatures :o

Goatfarmer:

On a serious note, I have around 1/2 rai of 'jungle' (mainly wild grasses and weeds) which is economically crippling to keep in any sort of shape. If I bought a goat (or two), would they eat the grasses thereby keeping it relatively short?

20 to 30 hours. MOT LAEW :o

PP has a point. In the dry season, you would have to find supplemental grass and leaves.

That is how I heard it GF.  All the very best with your venture. Anything that gets Kraft slices off the shelves impresses me :o

Thanks. The aroma of our cheese will dissolve processed cheese at a 10 foot radius :D

In other news, the last of our September dams gave birth this morning. Another girl! That's a ratio of 6 females to 1 male. Unheard of! We must patent the process :D

• 3 weeks later...