The "Hidden Restaurant" In City Walk

Jingthing

This place started as a trendy fusion type place with somewhat high prices (I never tried it). That concept didn't work commercially and now they have a fairly comprehensive Thai food menu, with prices like 50 baht for noodles, 80 baht for a curry, etc. Really low for a nicely decorated indoor place in that very tourist location. Surprise. The food is quite good. Be sure to make it clear you want real Thai food though if you do when you order; otherwise they will assume you want the food dumbed down. Trust me, they know how to make the real deal if you make it clear that's what you want.

The best Thai food in town? Not a chance, but a pleasant surprise at a pleasant price if you're in the neighborhood. Open until 11 PM.

The location is the City Walk between Second and Beach Roads.

Bangkok?

I haven't been to one in town that I would call the best. There are so many but mostly rather pedestrian. I didn't mean to suggest the Hidden is especially wonderful, just a good spot for a decent low priced casual Thai meal in an unexpected location.

So, where is the best Thai food to be found in Pattaya?

JT........anyone?

i am no expert on food, Thai or otherwise

i know what i like and frankly i am quite resistant to eating Thai food at all

however when i do (or when am politely forced by the wife) i do like to go to Ko Koon on the corner next to Fairfax Gym on Pattaya Nua

its always busy, mostly with Thais which i take to be a good sign and the food is good, is served in good sized portions and seems very tasty to my delicate palate

its reasonably priced and offers a surprisingly fast service even when its busy enough to have to wait for a table

best in Pattaya?

i wouldn't know but if you are like me and not a Thai food aficionado then it might just be right for you ........

JT........anyone?

however when i do (or when am politely forced by the wife) i do like to go to Ko Koon on the corner next to Fairfax Gym on Pattaya Nua

its always busy, mostly with Thais which i take to be a good sign and the food is good, is served in good sized portions and seems very tasty to my delicate palate

its reasonably priced and offers a surprisingly fast service even when its busy enough to have to wait for a table

best in Pattaya?

i wouldn't know but if you are like me and not a Thai food aficionado then it might just be right for you ........

Been there a few times. The wife likes the place more than me, but as you say the food is good and reasonably priced. My problem with it is that it's an Isaan place with a very Isaan menu. Nothing wrong with that but it does limit what can be ordered.

An old favorite of ours is Vientiane. Used to visit at the old location on second road (where Avenue now is) and followed when they moved to Pattaya Tai. But after they changed owners a while back it has not been the same.

JT........anyone?

best in Pattaya?

Been there a few times. The wife likes the place more than me, but as you say the food is good and reasonably priced. My problem with it is that it's an Isaan place with a very Isaan menu. Nothing wrong with that but it does limit what can be ordered.

An old favorite of ours is Vientiane. Used to visit at the old location on second road (where Avenue now is) and followed when they moved to Pattaya Tai. But after they changed owners a while back it has not been the same.

you mean i have been eating Issan food?

i almost feel at one with the locals............

JT........anyone?

best in Pattaya?

have you tried the monk who sells hot dogs in the temple ?

he has chilli, cheese and many sauces on offer

he said to me ''what do you want?''

i said ''make me one with everything''

after i had paid him with a 1000 baht note, he did not give me any change

i said ''excuse me, wheres my change?''

he said ''change must come from within''

Edited by timekeeper

I was drinking coffee at a place down there when one of the watch selling guys came along, he displayed his watches to me in the case and with his other hand underneath picked up my phone, I had no idea until he had gone and I wondered why he left so abruptly.

Beware these types.

Jingthing, could you please be more specific about what you meant by this comment:

"Be sure to make it clear you want real Thai food though if you do when you order; otherwise they will assume you want the food dumbed down. Trust me, they know how to make the real deal if you make it clear that's what you want."

What exactly do you mean by "dumbed down"?

Are you talking about the amount of chili and other native spices they add?

How do you make it clear you want the "real deal"?

It's in a heavy tourist area and I got the strong feeling they want to please this crowd and will automatically tone done the spices and/or heat if you don't say something. They will probably clue you when you order and ask you if you want it not spicy. Then it's your job to tell them how you like it. Lots of places do that. I happen to like super hot and they will do that if you ask. Some places are funny though and won't adjust even if you make it crystal clear. Recently I went to a place where I asked in two different ways for phet phet (for pad krapow) and it came totally bland. The waiter warned me to be careful when serving and pointed out a few microscopic pieces of prik khi nuu in the dish. Yes I know spice and chilies are different things; no lectures please.

Edited by Jingthing

It's in a heavy tourist area and I got the strong feeling they want to please this crowd and will automatically tone done the spices and/or heat if you don't say something. They will probably clue you when you order and ask you if you want it not spicy. Then it's your job to tell them how you like it. Lots of places do that. I happen to like super hot and they will do that if you ask. Some places are funny though and won't adjust even if you make it crystal clear. Recently I went to a place where I asked in two different ways for phet phet (for pad krapow) and it came totally bland. The waiter warned me to be careful when serving and pointed out a few microscopic pieces of prik khi nuu in the dish. Yes I know spice and chilies are different things; no lectures please.

LOL.Ok, then I definitely prefer "dumbed down" or even totally retarded dishes then. I don't like it hot.

In that case, you probably have fewer problems than me getting Thai food as you like it in Pattaya. As far as my "real deal" comment, I think some Thai dishes are intended to be hot and spicy to a certain degree to have the "real" Thai taste. Examples would be tom yum, pad krapow, red curry, etc. They don't have to be killer phet phet, but the flavors need to be there. Other Thai dishes are naturally not spicy at all. If I go to a place and they serve a dish where the baseline is a spiced/hot dish, and the Thai spice/heat flavor isn't there, I don't consider that real Thai food. I once went to a Thai place in the US which normally does really good green curry but my dining partner was feeling ill and didn't want any spice, so asked for no spice, and that was the most disgusting green curry I ever had, no flavor at all.

Edited by Jingthing

In that case, you probably have fewer problems than me getting Thai food as you like it in Pattaya. As far as my "real deal" comment, I think some Thai dishes are intended to be hot and spicy to a certain degree to have the "real" Thai taste. Examples would be tom yum, pad krapow, red curry, etc. They don't have to be killer phet phet, but the flavors need to be there. Other Thai dishes are naturally not spicy at all. If I go to a place and they serve a dish where the baseline is a spiced/hot dish, and the Thai spice/heat flavor isn't there, I don't consider that real Thai food. I once went to a Thai place in the US which normally does really good green curry but my dining partner was feeling ill and didn't want any spice, so asked for no spice, and that was the most disgusting green curry I ever had, no flavor at all.

I'm not an expert on Thai food, but the way I see it a lot of bad cooking is hiding behind the chili. A well made Thai curry should taste rich and delicious even when ordered "not spicy".

Tom Yum is another interesting one. My wife can't eat chili as she developed an allergy. She often orders Tom Yum without chili and chili powder. Some restaurants can produce a very tasty Tom Yum without the chili. In other places it's tasteless. It's the quality of the lemon grass soup which makes or breaks it.

I agree, Thai flavor is not only about the chilies. It's spices, herbs, etc. Heat level is a personal preference. On the other hand, I do think if you want a "typical" Thai flavor profile for some classic dishes, you need SOME heat (because the Thai flavor profile of many classic Thai dishes is about a BALANCE of tastes and heat is one of them). Compare it to certain Mexican dishes. For me it's hard to imagine classic Mexico City style tacos without adding salsas that have some amount of chile heat. You can eat it without it, but it's not a classic flavor profile.

In any case, it's clear I am strongly biased towards chilies (I think I'm physically addicted to them actually) and you don't like chilies. It's a big world; we shouldn't go eat Thai food together.

Edited by Jingthing

(I think I'm physically addicted to them actually)

Here's an interesting analysis from Indiacurry.com.

Are hot chili peppers addictive? Why we enjoy eating hot chili peppers

Chili peppers are not addictive, but people enjoy the feeling they from eating eating hot chili peppers

The chili peppers contain an oil called Capsaicin. It activates pain receptors ('trigeminal cells') that sense the acid and burning sensation. These receptors are located throughout the mouth nose and throat. The trigeminal cells send pain signal to the brain. The brain responds by releasing endorphins. Endorphins give a feeling of euphoria, a pleasure sensation, or a 'High'. Some people may not be addictive to chili peppers but look forward to this pleasure.

Simultaneously, the body responds with increase in heart rate, metabolism, mouth salivation, and sweating. The nose starts to run. The stimulation of saliva increases the palatability of starchy foods. Chili pepper heighten the mouth's sensitivity so the foods appear more flavorful and taste better than they actually are.

The red pigment in the chilies gives aroma, and the sugar content adds to flavor.

In summary, the pungency in chilies releases endorphins that gives a sensation of pleasures, pungency also increases the mouth sensitivity so the foods taste better. The red pigment and sugar in the flesh add to aroma and flavor.

It would seem that although chili peppers are not physically addictive, they definitely create a "feeling" which leads to craving.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, they are not addictive like getting withdrawal symptoms. Craving is a better word, and really there is never a good reason NOT to eat chilies each and every day!

Back to the topic here.

Sad update.

The place I touted here appears to be very OUT OF BUSINESS.

It really was a good value place with better than expected Thai food for the price and location.

Maybe it was TOO hidden.

That City Walk is another tough place to do business. Only if you are cutting though going to or coming from Beach Road would you venture down this road. If you do venture, there are a number of stalls down the middle of the walkway, so at best just over 50% of the shops are visible.

Several shops have opened and closed since construction finished. For those with cash to burn, there is plenty of retail/space available on the upper floors.

TheWalkingMan

That City Walk is another tough place to do business. Only if you are cutting though going to or coming from Beach Road would you venture down this road. If you do venture, there are a number of stalls down the middle of the walkway, so at best just over 50% of the shops are visible.

Several shops have opened and closed since construction finished. For those with cash to burn, there is plenty of retail/space available on the upper floors.

TheWalkingMan

The problem then is, who looks up while they're walking along the street?

TheWalkingMan

The problem then is, who looks up while they're walking along the street?

Absolutely correct! I could not come to grips on what type of retail shop could survive on the upper floors. People do not like walking upstairs for certain things. Why would an office locate there? The rent too high (I cannot remember the details) and unless the biz needs to be there, it would be just burning cash. They should have just turned all the upper floors into a hotel. People like staying by the beach and Walking Street is a short walk away.

TheWalkingMan

Yeah, they are not addictive like getting withdrawal symptoms. Craving is a better word, and really there is never a good reason NOT to eat chilies each and every day!

Back to the topic here.

Sad update.

The place I touted here appears to be very OUT OF BUSINESS.

It really was a good value place with better than expected Thai food for the price and location.

Maybe it was TOO hidden.

that's why i couldn't find it today then...

LOL.Ok, then I definitely prefer "dumbed down" or even totally retarded dishes then. I don't like it hot.

I do too, but the newest PC term is developmentally disabled. :crazy: