Five Phuket Tourists Die In Cha-Am Horror Crash

webfact

Indeed a sad incident... :(

Thai authorities must do something about mini Van drivers. Since Toyota came up with a commuter model with modified seating's which are more comfortable than the normal one. It has gained popularity among companies or even family out goings and many jerks have bought mini Vans in order to get more income, i wouldn't be amazed if there are actually motor bike taxi riders driving these mini vans with no appropriate license or driving skills :-( bad bad

WG

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blinded by lights my butt :realangry: A mini van sits up high enough that this would not be an issue. Also that road through Cha Am has plenty of distance between oncoming traffic so as not to be blinded. I suspect the driver fell asleep!

Too bad he does not have an influential family with relatives in the police force, then he would walk away scott free. As I recall, the young lady who slammed in the back of the mini van in Bkk causing it to go over the overpass killing 8 people did not get arrested or anything. I have heard nothing more about it because of the influence her family has. Sad. Only in Thailand?

It truly is sad. If they are rich, they walk away scott-free, but if no money, even if not at fault. The are totally unfair. I have seen it firsthand, but don't really want to go into the details of that mess. This is part of the reason why they are constantly having demonstrations and looking for better gov't.

What a crock of sh-t

Unfortunately Thai passengers do not seem to understand dangerous driving and will not exercise their own will on a driver they employ. Thais seem to be only interested in how quickly they can get there, which is why they have a love of voyaging at night when the roads are clearer and clearly more dangerous.

The truck must have been parked or traveling very slow.

The most sensible post out of the previous 25.

Amazing only the passengers get hurt and die. The driver that caused the whole mess, with his reckless driving, walks away without a scratch. He does regret the accident though???

Yes and if he slammed into the back of the truck, why was he not the first one crushed - answer, he was probably overtaking at way too much speed and misjudged and clipped the truck! The lights are not plausible - sorry. But yes, thank goodness he regretted the incident - that makes us all feel so much better (not).

Amazing only the passengers get hurt and die. The driver that caused the whole mess, with his reckless driving, walks away without a scratch. He does regret the accident though???

It's always feels better if the driver who causes the accident dies.

There was a horrible accident in my wife's province in the Philippines yesterday. A motorcycle ploughed into a tricycle (sidecar) carrying her uncle and aunt. The motorcycle rider was killed instantly as it should be - one person in the tricycle sidecar was killed - her uncle and aunt are recovering in hospital but in pretty bad condition and the motorcycle pilion is 50-50. The tricylce driver walked away unscathed.

At least we have justice served when the person who causes the accident is killed. Perhaps a slower death would have been better.

Yes and if he slammed into the back of the truck, why was he not the first one crushed - answer, he was probably overtaking at way too much speed and misjudged and clipped the truck! The lights are not plausible - sorry. But yes, thank goodness he regretted the incident - that makes us all feel so much better (not).

Very sorry to hear this!

He might have used the safety belt that's why he survived and was not thrown out of the van as the others.

i drove more than 100'000km's on thai roads. look at those 'high ways'! back home a highway where cars go more than a 100km/h got fences and entrances to avoid forbidden and dangerous objects on them as bicylce's, animals, etc. and there's a minimal speed to guarantee a certain safety.

but here it's like any other village road or trail full of break-a-part cars, overloaded pickups, animals, tricycles, tractors, mobile food hawker shops, crossing mopeds and pedestrians, while cars drive by with 120 or much more. many road-surfaces are dramatically bad and beside the tarmac trees and electricity poles which would kill you immediately. who wonders horrible accidents.

not to talk about responsible thinking and driving in this country, buddhist compassion, drivers education, skill requirements or driving tests, etc.. got the thai licence myself since years.

good are the grass channels in the middle of the divided highways, must have save thousands of innocent lives!

God, what a terrible outlook. Feeling good about someone dying in a traffic accident. Be it the causer or not :(

THere are some astounding views about the safety of vehicles "big buses are safer" - where do you get that idea from???<div><br></div><div>THe truth is that when there is an accident in Thailand the whole thing is compounded by a number of shortcomings - it may or may not have been an initial mistake or miscalculation by the driver - but one be be absolutely sure he is not solely to blame.</div><div>unfortunately so many posters just don't understand the basics of a road incident and can't assess the risks involved - but are still quite happy to heap blame on the driver.<br><div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>

I notice when I have been in mini vans ( usually AOT van commute at airport) I am the only one that fastens the seat belt, others look at me and smile ( thais)

is there some kind of loosing face thing about using a seat belt?

Although I commend you for wearing a seatbelt - you seem to have a blind faith that they have been installed correctly and that these vehicles have the anchor points and seating required for the seat belts.

I notice when I have been in mini vans ( usually AOT van commute at airport) I am the only one that fastens the seat belt, others look at me and smile ( thais)

Although I commend you for wearing a seatbelt - you seem to have a blind faith that they have been installed correctly and that these vehicles have the anchor points and seating required for the seat belts.

What should he do, insist the driver takes it to the Toyota Dealer to have the anchor points checked before his 140b ride to Hua hin?

so so sad... when will we have a clamp down on these mini-van maniacs!?! R.I.P.

Yes there should be some control over them. As is now there is none.

but in all fairness to the driver there should be some control over using high beams when driving. Both for oncoming trafic and trafic in front of you.:(

Perhaps you're the one losing face. I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest as to what the Thai passengers thought.

God, what a terrible outlook. Feeling good about someone dying in a traffic accident. Be it the causer or not :(

There was a lot of tongue-in-cheek going on in that post you know.

Better title might read: Five Bangkok Tourists....

I'd bet dollars to donuts the driver was getting paid by the job rather than by the hour.

Near where I work, there's a gravel pit. The drivers get paid by the job, so fully laden trucks speed and cut corners like there's no tomorrow (and for some, there is 'no tomorrow'). A baby was killed 5 months ago by a speeding gravel truck.

Not 'losing face' - so much as 'setting a bad omen in motion.'

Thais are still deeply set in superstitions. Therefore, by putting on a seatbelt, one is enabling a mental precursor to an accident. In other words, if you believe in the force of brainwaves affecting physical things, as Thais do (they'd call it something else), then you believe that your thoughts affect what physically happens later.

Example: if I mention fire when entering a house, then the chances of that house burning down are increased. Plus, the act of putting on a seatbelt besmirches the driver's driving skills - according to Thai thinking. It's the same reason that Thai prostitutes, 30 years ago, thought only farang men spread STD's - because it was only farang who were putting on condoms.

20 People killed in two seperate accidents in the one day while on buses!!!!A sad day for many relatives and families right now..but will this change things ?We all know the answer to that..just bring on Songkran and watch the news footage during this time ..I'll use the train more now after this!!

I must admit I don't often agree with you sorrow lot's of condecending notions on how this country should be run. But on traffic and the culture :whistling: of driving here I fully agree: If the laws are lacking, it is the Governments duty to implement them, and now! And then wait and hope to survive another generation or three for them being enforced. Where are the emoticons in uniform, by the way? - A necessity in most threads these days :unsure:

If you as a foreigner feel the laws are lacking you are certainly free to go to another country. I for one don't think the Thais need falang telling them how to run their own country B)

Yes for sure there is a whole lot lacking in this jolly, happy, smiling land of Thailand. It sucks as far as their total disregard for road laws. There are no rules and laws as far as most of the drivers are concerned. The enforcement of the rules are totally arbitrary and subject to the whims of the local thugs in brown, and their financial needs on any particular day..

And yes, the poster has every right to make his point without the usual bull of telling him/her to get lost and go elsewhere. What rubbish.

And yes yet again....the Thais need foreigners to help them run their country because they do a cr*p job it it themselves. The hospitality/hotel industry, as just one example, would in my opinion collapse without foreign input.

We all know the score here, prick up your ears "It will not change," and if any change does come about it will not be because a bunch of westerners are complaining that they can't get to their beach holiday with the same service and safety they would get in their own country.

I said it once and I'll say it again; This is Thailand, if you don't like it go home!!

As ever this has proved to be an opportunity for idiots who know nothing of the circumstances, reporting or in fact even driving in Thailand, to air their prejudices.

There is NEVER only one person to blame in a road incident - blame if you really need it can be apportioned by percentage.

A bit of a contradiction there. You accuse people of being idiots and then come out with an idiotic statement.

A bus drove into my car on New Years Eve. The car was stopped at a set of red traffic lights when the bus drove into our car & a number of other cars at full speed.

There WAS only one person to blame in that road accident - the bus driver.

An unbelievably - yet predictable "reply" which of course it isn't as you clearly don't understand the basics of the argument.

It's absolutely disgusting how virtually no poster seems to understand even the most basic concepts of what lead to this incident.In fact they are no better than a pack of baying hounds.

Deeral--I dont know if I am a baying hound, I must be if you say no posters understand. I go for the easy(if there is one) answers. 1) Buses must have to comply with safety standards.. 2) Companies have to registered ..3)drivers should have the said licence for that people carrier.. 4) Companies should shoulder much of the blame for selecting a non experienced driver....these drivers should have seperate tests for private hire/ public transport..............I could go on. but last ...5) the police can act only after the event is stupid, they should be taking an active roll in enforcing the rules regarding companies and drivers....Am I a baying hound deeral ???

Edited by ginjag

If they were farang tourists there wouldn't even be any charge filed against the driver.

As for the death trap van services, I took one from the airport in Suratthani to the ferry. Top speed achieved: 160kph; Average: 140kph; Near misses: 2 one truck pulling out and one old man on his bicycle, properly in his far left lane nearly sideswiped as the f****ng driver had to swerve due to the speed at which he was driving to avoid hitting another car not going fast enough. I would not have taken it in the first place except that there are no taxis at the airport to take you to the ferry. No choice. And these services will never be called out by any Thai authority to improve safety. Life is not precious enough here in Thailand to really have this be an issue of any importance. The driver will likely not even see a pause in his driving duties as a result either. The charges are for PR only. Just another example of what you sacrifice to live in paradise --- personal safety in this instance.

Edited by 61guitarman61

I have just had a recent near accident driving to Khon Kaen where at around 4am I was driving in the inside lane at an average speed where I nearly hit a truck who was traveling at a very slow speed but had no rear lights on so if I had have hit him whos fault would that be. I have found this a lot with motor bikes the worst offenders but does the police do anything about it NO

I have just had a recent near accident driving to Khon Kaen where at around 4am I was driving in the inside lane at an average speed where I nearly hit a truck who was traveling at a very slow speed but had no rear lights on so if I had have hit him whos fault would that be. I have found this a lot with motor bikes the worst offenders but does the police do anything about it NO

Just for posterity's sake, what do you consider a safe average speed at 4am here on Thai roads? My Thai wife constantly pi sses me off by driving no more than 40kph. I tell her that all the other cars are passing her and this is a rediculously slow speed. Her response is that this is not the west and that drivers and driving conditions are not like the western roadways. One must adjust to the safe driving speeds of the locale you are driving in. In Wisconsin in January, one must reduce speed due to ice and snow hazards. In Florida one must adjust driving speed due to downpours that reduce visability to zero. In Thailand one must also drive with speeds reasonable for the hazards that exist and hazards that will not ever change such as non-signalling drivers, lack of taillights, crappy road surfaces, sporatic and unpredictable driving practices of other drivers, etc... In the end analysis, it goes back to what your driving instructor taught you when you were 15 - 16 : DRIVE DEFENSIVELY. Thai divers, especially these van drivers of whom we speak, drive neither defensively or safely. They ARE the ones at fault in these types of accidents ---- period. In the states, if you rearend another vehicle, you have a heck of a time trying to make the court rule against the other vehicle, and there is logic in that. If you are diving in a defensive manner, that meaning at speeds in accordance with the conditions, actively aware and reactive to all conditions in front of you, there should never be an excusable instance for you to hit an object from behind. If you are driving in a place where you KNOW there are vehicles that regularly have non-functioning taillights at a speed that would cause you to not be able to respond in time to avoid hitting that vehicle, YOU are at fault. Seem fair? Maybe not, but that is reality. Going back to using Wisconsin as an example, if you drive too fast for conditions and slide off the roadway, whose fault is that? If there is a Floridian downpour and you fail to brake and you run into the car in front of you, whose fault is that? Same with these adverse roadway conditions, even though, by western standards, the other driver is wrong in not having taillights, it is a predictable condition that you should be adjusting your driving practices to accomodate.