Ominous Sign For Americans Re: Proof Of Income

Isn't it simpler just to deposit the 800KB in the bank?

The notion of paying my consulate several thousand Baht just to rubber-stamp a letter is so alien to me that I would go to almost any lengths to avoid it, and depositing the 800K takes care of that too.

The notion of paying my consulate several thousand Baht just to rubber-stamp a letter is so alien to me that I would go to almost any lengths to avoid it, and depositing the 800K takes care of that too.

Darrel

Where you here in July 1997 when the baht crashed? Perhaps unhappily, I'd paid for our house and extension to it in fall of 1996 by moving $$$ here at 25 = $1, then whammo, it's 40 and more, up to 50+ by end of January 1998. Oh, well, we're still in the house and it's not fallen down, as yet....

That's one reason I don't really want to keep megabaht in my bank.

Then there's the question of showing your bank book to indicated movement of money into Thailand and the ins and outs monthly to indicate use. I used to write a personal check monthly in $$$ for deposit to my SCB baht account, then top off needs with ATM hits on my U.S. bank. However, my SCB account is pretty light these days since the TBA instituted that baht 150 charge for foreign ATM withdrawals. I found that by using the AEON ATMs I could avoid the baht 150 hit so have been doing so exclusively for some time now so all I have to show that I bring funds into Thailand to live on is a stack of ATM receipts. Would hope that'd work at Immigration.

Mac

Recently went for a VISA extension and when asked if I had proof of Income I pointed to my wife and three young children. The officer laughed and understood immediately granting me the VISA without a problem.

Edited by mouse

I don't doubt the O/P's statement (or that of anyone else who said this happened to them).

I'm only saying in all the times I've been out to both Suan Plu & now Changwattana it's never happened to any acquaintance of mine I was shepherding thru the process.

Not a single time were they asked to show more proof than the income affidavit letter from the US Embassy. Over the last year I've accompanied more than 30 Americans, and every single extension of stay sailed thru fine!

In fact, not two weeks ago I went for my own extension of stay using the income affidavit letter. I was in and out with another extension based on retirement with nary a question or side-long glance. Sadly, I did forget to get my index fingerprints scanned and digital pic taken, so I made another trip out the following Monday and sorted it out.

FWIW: here's the PDF file from the American Citizens Services in Bangkok;

Income Affividat.pdf

Now, could Immigrations ask for proof? Most certainly, they can ask for just about anything they want as far as additional documentation. Have they EVER asked for proof from acquaintances of mine; NO!

Remember these are my experiences ONLY, your mileage may indeed vary!

I think a big point is being missed here. There is a very large difference between being asked by Immigration to show proof of something in order to meet a legal requirement, and what actually goes on in practice. The US Embassy "proof" here is exactly the same as the driver's license proof. Thai law requires that a foreigner must prove residence in Thailand, not just come here as a tourist, in order to have a Thai driver's license. When I go to the DMV, I am asked to show my visa (which cannot be a tourist visa), a medical certificate (obtainable down the road without ANY kind of checkup for 65 baht), and then my proof of residence. If I show my condominium ownership papers, that of course is not proof that i live here. However what does count as proof is the good old Embassy letter, which is obtained by the Embassy by paying 1500 baht...not swearing that one lives here, not producing any kind of visa or documentation regarding residency or stay, but by paying 1500 baht and being given a piece of paper. I am sure everyone in the DMV and in Immigration must know that a rubber stamped letter from the Embassy requires proof of nothing (nor does it require lying under oath, but rather paying some cash), but that is how it works here....

...it looks like only Bangkok is getting serious about asking everyone for passbooks...

It looks like you are wrong:

...not two weeks ago I went for my own extension of stay using the income affidavit letter...

Not everyone applying for an extension of stay for the reason of retirement based on income is being asked for a savings account book at Bankgok immigration. When did it happen to you? How many persons do you know to whom it happened in the past six months?

OK, now. My understanding is that we have had a few reports VERY RECENTLY that AMERICANS specifically are going to be hit by a new enforcement policy. These people claim they were told explicitly this is a new policy and it's for Americans. How many offices? I don't know. Is it really true? I don't know. But reports any older than a few days are basically irrelevant in respect to a very new enforcement policy. This potentially real policy involves requiring AMERICANS (or possibly any other nationality known to immigration to have embassies that don't very income for income letters) using embassy income letters to provide documentation to back up their income claims. I admit this is messy, but bar room rumors won't do here. We need facts and we need VERY RECENT reports. Or immigration could make an official announcement, wouldn't that be special?

Edited by Jingthing

...it looks like only Bangkok is getting serious about asking everyone for passbooks...

It looks like you are wrong:

...not two weeks ago I went for my own extension of stay using the income affidavit letter...

Not everyone applying for an extension of stay for the reason of retirement based on income is being asked for a savings account book at Bankgok immigration. When did it happen to you? How many persons do you know to whom it happened in the past six months?

Granted, not everyone going the embassy letter route is being (has been?) asked for additional financial info. In fact, maybe only just a few, such as those reporting in this parallel thread: HERE. Were they singled-out for something out-of-ordinary? Or, as Jingthing suggests, is it because it was recent? And quotes such as: "The first Immigration officer told me that she was spending most of her time now a days explaining the new change [asking for passbook] to people as it was not in print anywhere" only add to the mystery.(This took place 4 days ago.)

That we're only, so far, seeing this 'request for additional information' at Bangkok Immigration doesn't mean it isn't happening elsewhere.... So, yeah, saying 'only Bangkok is getting serious' is probably too soon to say, until some additional information is received.

Yes, we've seen for years ad hoc requests to see one's passbook when going the embassy letter route. Never seemed to be even a local policy, but only the whim of the Immigration officer. But now we're getting a whiff of something more afoot -- at least in Bangkok.

Could be interesting -- or a new honcho's short-lived dabble into policy.

Edited by JimGant

Thailand has had a long standing special Diplomatic and Investment ties with the USA since 1833. Doubtful they would discrimminate or treat American's any differnet.

The Marriage and Visa things are small potato's compared to long standing Diplomatic and Economic ties and Treaties.

Just sayin :rolleyes:

Where you here in July 1997 when the baht crashed? ..........................

That's one reason I don't really want to keep megabaht in my bank........................

Then there's the question of showing your bank book to indicated movement of money into Thailand and the ins and outs monthly to indicate use.......................

Exchange rate movements can strike either way. Some people would have done well by depositing 800KB 2 years ago (anyone from the UK for example).

800KB is hardly a huge amount. However I expect that the amounts for both deposit and income will be increased sigificantly as soon as the powers that be think they dont need the cheapest of the cheap retirees any more (it happened in New Zealand and Malaysia).

As far as I know there is no requirement to actually spend the 800KB, just a requirement to have it. If you have it then as far as I know you dont need to show any movement or expenditure (yet).