How To Save Gas ?

ManOnTheRoad

Ok i got my Mazda 2 now and happy with it. :) I load up the tank full E20 and have used half the tank for the past 5 days going for 200+ km now

Do you guys have any tips on how to save fuel ?Any tips and solution are welcome

some says upgrade to 17inch wheels, some says switch on the radio some says turn on aircon low.

So have you guys got any tips?

Switch on the radio :huh: ? Are you serious, someone actually told you you could save fuel by switching on the radio??

I think that should be switch off the radio :)

That'd be more sensible if anything, but still not worthy of actual consideration for even measurable fuel savings..

Edit: Unless you have a serious Amp set up that requires an entire nuclear power plant to run just on it's own :lol: .

Edited by WarpSpeed

Is this your first tank of fuel? You fuel economy should improve after 5-10K kms. My civic 2.0 will get 200kms on half its 45 litre tank, so I would be hoping your mazda does better than that! It would be nice if you can calculate your consumption too, if possible.

Larger wheels might help provided they are lighter than the originals. Light forged wheels are quite expensive though. I changed to 17" and it didn't make a difference to consumption. You can try a drop-in k&n air filter than might help a little bit (might enhance performance marginally as well). Apart from giving your engine time to bed-in, the best way is to avoid heavy traffic, turn off the air cond when possible, brake gently and accelerate gently - the antithesis of driving a zoom zoom mazda!! haha

Drive half way and take the bus to your destination.

remove the spare tire, the jack, the back seat, side upholstery. and every thing that could be removed while the engine still runs. The lighter the car the less fuel. You should lose a few kilos yourself too, same for the Mrs and Bow the dog

Switch off the airconditioning or set it to as high a temperature you can bear.

Close the windows (duh)

Shift up quickly or as high as you can without killing the engine if you have a stick

Don't use kick-down if you have an automatic

Don't take more fuel then you need to reach your destination (or the next gas pump), Full tank is dead weight

Drive half way and take the bus to your destination.

remove the spare tire, the jack, the back seat, side upholstery. and every thing that could be removed while the engine still runs. The lighter the car the less fuel. You should lose a few kilos yourself too, same for the Mrs and Bow the dog

:lol:

I'm getting 900 km on 62-ish liters of diesel in my 3.0l 2008 Vigo. Conservative driving.....80-90kph most of the time except when traveling long distance (then 100kps). I see a stop light ahead, I let off the gas and coast in while all the dumpkas use their gas right up to the light. My 3 year average for 40,000km has been 33.70miles per gallon.....not bad for a 3.0liter engine!

1. Most important is how you drive. How you accelerate, cruise, and how you load the car etc.

2. Turn off your a/c or a high temp setting. You will get loads of mileage.

3. Try using regular gasohol instead of E20, you will get a better mileage increase.

4. Increase your tire profile size by 5mm (60 series to 65 series) or plus size your rims (make sure they are lighter alloys).

The best mileage tip:

Don't drive if don't have to.

Turn off the Air-con but keep the windows closed for less drag.

Turn off the ignition when coasting down hills.

Tail lorries closely to avoid wind resistance.

Don't drive at midday when the air is warmer and less dense.

Leave your lights off at night.

Tape up the gaps in the body work.

Tape off the grille.

Put thinner and larger diameter tires on the car.

Lower the car to the ground

:whistling:

In reality - driving more conscientiously will make the most and only significant difference.

and accelerate gently - the antithesis of driving a zoom zoom mazda!! haha

Actually this is not true.. Accelerating more quickly provides better fuel economy for a number of reasons, not the least is that you get to cruising speed more quickly and that is when the engine works lees and consumes less fuel which is one reason you get better fuel mileage on highways versus city driving..

I was saying this for years before they finally decided to do several actual studies but the governments don't want you to know this because it is the antithesis of how they'd like you to drive..

Some other reasons are as follows:

Accelerate hard to save fuel?!

A British automotive engineering consultancy claims to have unearthed proof that putting your foot down hard on the accelerator can actually be more fuel efficient than driving more conservatively.

"It sounds totally counter-intuitive - and it is," admits Cousins. The key to saving fuel, he says, is to accelerate hard until the engine reaches 2000 rpm, move up a gear, then put your foot down until you reach 2000rpm again. It's all to do with internal friction. "Put simply, with your right foot down on the accelerator, the engine is working at its most efficient," says Cousins. Above 2000rpm the benefits diminish and you start using more fuel, not less.

Here's the really interesting thing: in tests carried out in a Citroen C1, one of the most fuel-efficient cars, Cousins's driving technique proved 8.5% more efficient than the "eco-safe driving" style promoted by the Department for Transport (http://www.dsa.gov.uk - search for eco-safe). The government's official driving method - taught to all UK learner drivers and now included in the driving test - encourages drivers to save fuel by using the accelerator pedal only lightly.

Source: http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/

Dr Steve Cousins should know what he's talking about - he was project leader for the Axon Automotive Caterham 2R which achieved 131 miles per gallon in UK Shell Eco-marathon, and is one of the world's top researchers into fuel economy.

This site has some important tips and tire pressures is also at the top of my list and most overlooked as it has been here.. Be fastidious about tire pressures, tune ups and air filters..

Saving Fuel Tips

Edited by WarpSpeed

and accelerate gently - the antithesis of driving a zoom zoom mazda!! haha

Actually this is not true.. Accelerating more quickly provides better fuel economy for a number of reasons, not the least is that you get to cruising speed more quickly and that is when the engine works lees and consumes less fuel which is one reason you get better fuel mileage on highways versus city driving..

I was saying this for years before they finally decided to do several actual studies but the governments don't want you to know this because it is the antithesis of how they'd like you to drive..

Some other reasons are as follows:

Accelerate hard to save fuel?!

A British automotive engineering consultancy claims to have unearthed proof that putting your foot down hard on the accelerator can actually be more fuel efficient than driving more conservatively.

"It sounds totally counter-intuitive - and it is," admits Cousins. The key to saving fuel, he says, is to accelerate hard until the engine reaches 2000 rpm, move up a gear, then put your foot down until you reach 2000rpm again. It's all to do with internal friction. "Put simply, with your right foot down on the accelerator, the engine is working at its most efficient," says Cousins. Above 2000rpm the benefits diminish and you start using more fuel, not less.

Here's the really interesting thing: in tests carried out in a Citroen C1, one of the most fuel-efficient cars, Cousins's driving technique proved 8.5% more efficient than the "eco-safe driving" style promoted by the Department for Transport (http://www.dsa.gov.uk - search for eco-safe). The government's official driving method - taught to all UK learner drivers and now included in the driving test - encourages drivers to save fuel by using the accelerator pedal only lightly.

Source: http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/

Dr Steve Cousins should know what he's talking about - he was project leader for the Axon Automotive Caterham 2R which achieved 131 miles per gallon in UK Shell Eco-marathon, and is one of the world's top researchers into fuel economy.

This site has some important tips and tire pressures is also at the top of my list and most overlooked as it has been here.. Be fastidious about tire pressures, tune ups and air filters..

Saving Fuel Tips

You are correct up to a point - as the article you quoted shows the effects diminish after 2000 rpm. What I found is that in a 60-70 km/h zone, if I'm accelerating too slowly my auto won't change to top gear or takes ages to get there. So what I do it punch it a bit up to a reasonable speed, then take my foot of the accelerator briefly. This causes my auto to get into top gear more quickly than if accelerating too slowly. My original post was referring to bouncing off the redline in the lower gears:)

Driving at 90kph instead of 110kph will save you 25% in gas consumption.

also arrive 25% later lol... 5 hours instead of 4...

Yes that math never worked out for me either... While you're on the road for that extra hour while I'm settled in my hotel room having a nice Shirley Temple :whistling: you're still out burning fuel, doesn't work out..

I once argued that point in a self defense driving class required for a speeding ticket (5 miles over) and never did get a reasonable answer just moved on to something else :rolleyes: .. That was back when the national speed limit speed trap was mandated at 55Mph <_< ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Gasohol E10 gets better milage than gasohol E20, in some cars 95 Gasohol gives better milage then 91 Gasohol

from 90-110 kmh crusingspeed, increase is only 2-3% for this car

manufactorers recommended tyre pressure. larger tyres, more fuel. All ecocars have less wide tyres to save fuel

but in a given car, most is up to the driver

use approx 1/2-3/4 throttle to achieve desired speed, and then treat the throttle like its an egg behind it. Stay off the brakes until really needed. Keep you eyes aiming long distance to consider if reduced speed is really needed

Your brake advice is key, I always time my passes and my braking with the least amount of momentum loss possible... Instead of rushing up to the bumper of a slower car until you can pass or it moves over, slow slightly and gradually for a short distance prior and then accelerate the same way once an opening is anticipated and Bob's your uncle...

Driving at 90kph instead of 110kph will save you 25% in gas consumption.

also arrive 25% later lol... 5 hours instead of 4...

Yes that math never worked out for me either... While you're on the road for that extra hour while I'm settled in my hotel room having a nice Shirley Temple :whistling: you're still out burning fuel, doesn't work out..

I once argued that point in a self defense driving class required for a speeding ticket (5 miles over) and never did get a reasonable answer just moved on to something else :rolleyes: .. That was back when the national speed limit speed trap was mandated at 55Mph <_< ..

I agree on long trips a faster speed is much less time and seat time becomes uncomfortable on long trips but my commute is only 15km one way so it's about 15 minutes vs. 19 minutes, just one extra song on the CD.

The key to saving fuel, he says, is to accelerate hard until the engine reaches 2000 rpm, move up a gear, then put your foot down until you reach 2000rpm again.

I've been doing this for years. Oh wait, sorry. Just noticed it said 2000 not 6000.whistling.gif

I just personally take it very easy on the pedals. No sudden unnecessary start or stop. Just let the car roll up to the light, and see if you can time it so you don't actually have to stop!! Kinda hard in BKK. I'm in Chiang Mai, so the driving is pretty easy, using the superhighway most of the time.

Apart from your driving style, maybe check the tyre pressure and all the oils. They help some what.

As for the radio/AC argument, I don't think that they make that much of a difference, but can you imagine driving without AC here?

The key to saving fuel, he says, is to accelerate hard until the engine reaches 2000 rpm, move up a gear, then put your foot down until you reach 2000rpm again.

I've been doing this for years. Oh wait, sorry. Just noticed it said 2000 not 6000.whistling.gif

;):lol: Not quite 6000 but guilty as well..