Hua Hin Floating Market

PETERTHEEATER

I saw a large colour advertisement in a Thai language newspaper last week illustrating a new development off Soi 112 (south end of the railway flyover) that is to be a 'Floating Market'. The ad showed a large artificial lake with shoreline structures, perimeter road and car and coach (big bus!) parks. My wife says that 'sellers space' is to be by renting. A quasi tourist experience I assume.

I noted yesterday, when approaching the flyover from the south - that a large blue and white tourist attraction sign has appeared just before the Soi 112 turn implying that the attraction is open but, don't bother, the advertisement gives July 2011 as the opening date.

Edited by PETERTHEEATER

:whistling: I have seen this street sign from all directions and I guess much Farang was following this and found as me only a big site of dust. I have seen many floating market around Bangkok but I guess this is a flop and they put the money in the sand. It will be just a lake with a island in the centre, certain a lot of souvenir shops with extraoridnary prices ...... ! lets see in July 2011, rather much later but 101% sure it havent the romantic of the real floating market as

http://www.amphawafloatingmarket.com/ and

http://www.bangkok.com/shopping-market/floating-markets.htm etc.

The only advantage I see the water could be more clean!!!

Next project certain import snow and make on hill side to Myanmar a winter holiday resort :D

Edited by thaibear1

:whistling: I have seen this street sign from all directions and I guess much Farang was following this and found as me only a big site of dust. I have seen many floating market around Bangkok but I guess this is a flop and they put the money in the sand. It will be just a lake with a island in the centre, certain a lot of souvenir shops with extraoridnary prices ...... ! lets see in July 2011, rather much later but 101% sure it havent the romantic of the real floating market as

http://www.amphawafloatingmarket.com/ and

http://www.bangkok.com/shopping-market/floating-markets.htm etc.

The only advantage I see the water could be more clean!!!

Next project certain import snow and make on hill side to Myanmar a winter holiday resort :D

They've got a big one here in Pattaya....and on the weekends, it's packed. Way too many tour buses making illegal turns, people walking across busy Suk...an accident waiting to happen. But it's a huge success for sure....

• 2 months later...

The craziest part is that they are building two of them within a kilometer of each other! It seems the two original partners that were building the one on soi 112 had a falling out and split the partnership, so one partner kept the one that was being built and the other partner has started another almost identical one about a kilometer further west on a side road just off soi 112.

Even if one would have drawn enough business to be successful, it's unlikely two in the same neighborhood will... another unbelievable example of Thai anti-logic. ;)

Destined for failure if you ask me. Too far from town and way to plastic. The closest I have seen to a genuine floating market is the one in Ratchaburi. Sure, it has some tourists but most of the crowd are locals and the vendors all sell the type of stuff youe xpect at a floating market - fruit, veg, noodle soup etc. The new one in Hua Hin is going to real sad.... Each and every shop full of stupid gifts like the wooden frogs that croak when you rub there back and the like

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing how so many farang think they know so much. I have those same thoughts but have realized that I dont know Jack.

Do I think it is to far out of town,Yes. Do I think it is to man made Yes.

It is amazing that Cicada Market and Plon Wan are packed every weekend and Plon wan most weekdays. The bottom line is that this is Thailand and Hua hin has enough of a Thai economy that it does not need farlang biz to survive. Yes there are Biz's that rely on tourist's but not all. so it will be interesting to see if the market floats or sinks.

Edited by metisdead
Font size reset to default forum font.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all.

Personally I thought that the floating market would not be popular, especially with 2 so close to each other. A few Thais that I know have already been there, so perhaps as one poster said, it will be poplar with the Thais and busloads that arrive in droves from Bangkok each weekend. I for one would go at least once just to check it out, but I expect it will be somewhat of a tourist trap just like the other one somewhere south of Bangkok with all the usual tourist trap shops and items that you don't really need. I've been there (the one near Bangkok) once with an ex girlfriend and didn't really enjoy it, and stupidly got dragged back there a few years later when an ex-boss visited Thailand and wanted to go around and do all the touristy things. Still, she paid but it was still a terrible experience, so up until now I'm not particularly enamoured with floating markets.

I've been to a 'real' one in Vietnam and there were very few tourists, mainly just locals shopping for things they really needed - a great experience and very interesting too.

Cheers.