Credit Card Security

Pattel

I was sorting out some paperwork and I came across my last bill at Villa Supermarket.

I usually pay cash buy this time I paid by credit card. Looking at the two receipts (1 Villa and 1 Visa) I noticed that between them there was almost all my complete credit card number, only 1 digit was missing. So just be careful when you throw away old shopping bills especially from Villa.

Agree this is most annoying. Most POS terminals in Thailand now spit-out receipts with the last four digits of the credit card number x'ed out; however, you do sometimes still get the odd one wherein the entire number is printed out. Also, check the slips carefully because sometimes the number is printed in more than one place.

In addition, sometimes the store's own receipt (not the bank credit-card receipt) has your credit card number printed on it as well. After the charge has appeared on my online credit card statement and there is no dispute, I go ahead and burn the receipts/slips.

I make it a practice to check my Visa card account info daily, on-line. Unlike American Express, they post account activity the moment it occurs. Hubby says it's a great way to track my movements during my annual shopping trips to Bangkok! But seriously, it has allowed us to head off potential problems with a charge immediately.

Why would anyone use a credit card. Too bad Thailand does not have the pin system we have in Holland. It will be deducted straight from your bank. You can check it always and there are no credit card payments that come up. Your not living on borrowed money. Also it is secured with a pin code just like with an atm. THat is a big step up from a signature that is almost never checked.

There is loads of credit card fraud.

Why would anyone use a credit card. Too bad Thailand does not have the pin system we have in Holland. It will be deducted straight from your bank. You can check it always and there are no credit card payments that come up. Your not living on borrowed money. Also it is secured with a pin code just like with an atm. THat is a big step up from a signature that is almost never checked.

:lol::lol::lol: sorry Rob.

Hope nobody clones your DD card and cleans out you bank account. I would rather use a credit card (charge card actually - Amex) and not worry about fraud or being cleaned out.

Thailand has millions of Debit Cards in use btw.

:lol::lol::lol: sorry Rob.

Hope nobody clones your DD card and cleans out you bank account. I would rather use a credit card (charge card actually - Amex) and not worry about fraud or being cleaned out.

Thailand has millions of Debit Cards in use btw.

James I am pretty sure there is much more credit card fraud then cloning of DD cards. You are right about a charged card then you can minimise your losses. But its similar to a normal bank account. You surely dont let all your money in your current account but keep only a normal low amount there ?

Slightly off topic but relating to Villa, specifically in Pattaya. DO keep an eye when they are scanning your items especially if you bought the "specials"...during my last 3 visits, they cashier scanned a price that was higher than the "special" lower price displayed on the shelf label. First time, they were apologetic and corrected their error, no problem. Second time, they were less friendly. Third time, there were scowls. Is it my fault that they do not update their cash registers with the "special" prices that they display on the shelf label ????? Sorry, rant over.

@DOGGY

I never shop there but i read here on the forum you need a card to get specials ? I might be mixing things up so if you think its not the case just forget my remark.

I know what you mean. Some specials are for cardholders only. But the ones I am talking about are available to all and clearly marked on shelf labels. But I will double check next time I go there...I think the cardholder specials are marked differently. Besides, the cashier and manager have never said it was reserved for cardmembers only...they checked and then corrected their error which I am sure they would not have done if I were wrong.

We use our Visa credit card for any purchase where we can watch the card the entire time it's out of our hand. Your losses are limited to $50 with a lost or stolen credit card issued by a U.S. bank. You can challenge a charge which we've done twice with Thai charges -- once when Nok Air cancelled a route after we'd booked flights and the second time when Hubby was involved in the infamous Chiang Mai University Language Institute melt-down. In both cases, I doubt we would have received refunds if we had paid with cash.

Plus, the Visa card gives a very good exchange rate -- better than using wire transfer.

We pay off our Visa card charges every month, so no interest charges. Plus, the credit card was issued by our U.S. credit union, so there is no annual charge, the "currency exchange fee" is only 1% vs. 2-3% charged by banks and we get cash back each year. The amount varies according to the profitability of the credit union, but it's been about 1%, which compensates for their 1% "currency exchange fee".

Furthermore, we have our monthly payment set up for auto withdrawal from the credit union checking account, the same account that receives Hubby's Social Security check. Usually the amount of the Visa bill is equal to his Social Security check, so life is good with Visa.