New Ipads Are Coming!

Somtamnication

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- New chip: The Apple A5. Dual-core, up to 2x faster. Graphics up to 9x faster. Same low power as A4. First dual-core tablet to ship in volume.

- Front- and rear-facing cameras, built-in gyroscope, 33% thinner than iPad 1. 8.8 mm vs. 13.4 mm. Also lighter...moves from 1.5 lbs to 1.3 lbs.

- Two colors: black and white. White is shipping from day one. Same 10-hour battery life.

- Same price points, same capacities. Starts at $499, and five of the six models are below competitors' entry-level pricing (Motorola Xoom) of $799.

- Ships March 11th in the U.S., 26 more countries on March 25th.

- HDMI mirrored video out from dock connector...$39 adapter provides up to 1080p for all apps while allowing charging.

- iPad 2 comes with iOS 4.3. Significantly faster Safari. JavaScript 2x faster. iOS 4.3 free download on March 11th.

- iTunes home sharing...access all music, movies, and TV shows on your home computer from your iOS device, wirelessly over Wi-Fi.

- AirPlay improvements: Built-in slideshow options for photos, Third-party apps and websites can now do video and audio.

- iPad switch now can be used for mute or rotation.

- iPhone 4 users will be able to create a “personal hotspot” between their phone and the iPad or other devices.

- Added Photo Booth to iPad Apps. iPad 2 can serve up nine live video streams to preview effects.

- FaceTime. Works between two iPads, between iPad and iPhone/iPod touch, and between iPad and Mac.

- iMovie for iPad. Precision editor, multitrack audio recording, AirPlay, universal app. More useful now on iPad with larger screen size. Can record directly into timeline from the camera. Full multitouch control. Major audio improvements: Sound effects, three audio tracks plus background, etc. New themes. Sharing to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, CNN iReport, iTunes. $4.99, available in App Store March 11th.

- GarageBand for iPad. Touch instruments, or plug in real instruments, etc. Compatible with Mac version .... dynamic volume response: volume based on how hard you tap, uses accelerometer.

Edited by rogerdee123

I don't understand the obsession for a USB port. I can drop files (PDF, movies, text, images) onto the device via iTunes, I don't want a USB size hole in the side of the iPad, which you could do little with anyway.

I don't understand the obsession for a USB port. I can drop files (PDF, movies, text, images) onto the device via iTunes, I don't want a USB size hole in the side of the iPad, which you could do little with anyway.

Or something like Dropbox.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the iPad 2 on Wednesday and the festivities went about as expected. The iPad got two cameras, dropped some girth and introduced some snazzy new covers.

Missing from the equation was a USB port and a new display.

But when you add up all the moving parts, Jobs had every right to be cocky and kick around the competition, notably Android, Samsung, Motorola and RIM. Sure, you could argue that Jobs lowered himself by calling out rivals by name, but the message was received: Apple just ensured that the other tablets are dead on arrival.

“We think 2011 is going to be the year of the iPad 2,” said Jobs.

zdnet.com

The wait is over for eager Apple fans wanting the next-generation iPad. At an invite-only event in San Francisco today, the company took the wraps off the iPad 2.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who is taking a leave of absence from the company, returned to unveil the new product, which is expected to be a hot seller.

As anticipated, the new tablet has two cameras and is faster with dual-core processors. They just about double CPU performance and make the graphics speed 9 times faster, while using the same power as the processor from the first iPad. The iPad 2 is thinner than the older model. It went from 13.4mm in thickness on the old iPad to 8.8mm in thickness on the new one. And it works not only on AT&T's 3G network, but also Verizon Wireless' 3G network.

In terms of the technical specifications, the device is 9.5 inches high, 7.3 inches wide, and 0.34 inches deep. And it weighs just 1.33 pounds. It comes in three storage sizes for both the Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi +3G models: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB. And the rear camera is 720p and the front camera is "VGA-quality" suitable for video and still photography.

cnet.com

* 1 GHz dual-core “A5″ CPU

* Up to 9x faster graphics (as I tweeted yesterday, I suspect that the Apple A5 is is a dual-core Cortex-A9 akin to Samsung’s Exynos, albeit with an Imagination Technologies-supplied graphics core versus ARM’s Mali GPU used in Samsung’s SoC)

* 33% thinner (now 8.8 mm)

* Lighter (from 1.5 lbs to 1.3 lbs)

* Same 10 hour battery life estimate

* Both front (VGA-resolution video)- and rear (720p video)-facing cameras

* Three-axis gyroscope included. Unfortunately, GPS remains a cellular-only portion of the feature set.

* New $39 dock adapter supports 1080p HDMI, but no DisplayPort/Thunderbold connector (or DisplayPort adapter, for that matter) or integrated SD card slot. Apple has also added both standard-definition composite (interlaced) and component (progressive-scan) video adapters. And the 1080p-capable VGA adapter remains available, which is not terribly surprising even in the ‘analog sunset’ era because, as I’ve mentioned in past Xbox 360 writeups, VGA is considered to be a ‘computer’ versus ‘consumer electronics device’ video interface and therefore benefits from a HD loophole in CSS and other DRM schemes’ specifications.

* Both AT&T and Verizon 3G network options (wonder if this’ll be via a common Qualcomm-supplied cellular transceiver?), along with a Wi-Fi-only variant. No LTE yet, but no surprise there.

* Not to mention both black and white color scheme options

* Shipping on March 11 in the US, expanding to 26 other countries on March 25th

* Same pricing as first-generation iPad for Wi-Fi-only and cellular-inclusive versions in various resident flash memory storage capacity options

EDN - Electronic Design News

Or you could use a micro-USB port or micro-SD flash card built into the device, and not have to use iTunes or be tied to a host computer. Imagine that :-)

SD card direct on ipad is available with the camera adaptor no need to be tied to host computer. :)

Actually i would much rather have a lighter machine and less expensive without the SD card simply because the majority myself included dont need it.

With the development of highspeed internet combined with cloud based storage. Physical media future is very very limited in my view and we will see the end of CD's, DVD's SD Cards and Thumb drives with 10 years. It is just better to use cloud based storage.

Dropbox has really changed the way I do things whether on iphones, ipads, mac's or PC's.

So yeah, how do I get one in Thailand? lol

MBK few days after release. Direct from Apple US via shipito.com.

Doesn't the Apple Store ship international...also Amazon :)

The Apple Store in each country only ships within that country. The Thailand Apple store (which actually ships from Singapore) does not have the new iPad on offer yet. As a consolation, they are selling the current model at a discount! Expect we will see the new iPad available in a month or so; not the same long wait as last time.

Actually i would much rather have a lighter machine and less expensive without the SD card simply because the majority myself included dont need it.

How much weight or cost do you think a micro SD card would add to the device :-)

With the development of highspeed internet combined with cloud based storage. Physical media future is very very limited in my view and we will see the end of CD's, DVD's SD Cards and Thumb drives with 10 years. It is just better to use cloud based storage.

You're kidding, right? Your internet connection must be rather better than mine.

our internet connection must be rather better than mine.

Very possible. Uploading FTP and dropbox just now at 3MB/s :)

Actually its pretty good now with VDSL in that I do not need to carry my itunes library with me anymore and can stream direct from the Mac Pro at home in BKK anywhere in the world video/music etc. using SLINK. The future is here :)

Since they made a big point in the keynote of naming 2010 the year of the iPad & saying 2011 will be the year of the iPad 2, it is unlikely an iPad 3 will arrive anytime this year.

The US are getting it on 11th March, UK, Australia and most of Europe on 25th March. When Thailand will get it officially is anyones guess.

So yeah, how do I get one in Thailand? lol

MBK few days after release. Direct from Apple US via shipito.com.

I haven't any experience with those sites - or getting a US friend to ship it to me.

I'm worried about excessive taxes upon arrival here, or the postman just stealing it.

Should I be?

Since they made a big point in the keynote of naming 2010 the year of the iPad & saying 2011 will be the year of the iPad 2, it is unlikely an iPad 3 will arrive anytime this year.

The US are getting it on 11th March, UK, Australia and most of Europe on 25th March. When Thailand will get it officially is anyones guess.

That will depend on supply.

I expect these to be selling like hotcakes - again - so Apple will again face the challenge of how to manufacture one iPad 2 every 3 seconds. Which will push the Thai release date back. Grey market will be no problem of course, you can probably pick one up from MBK on March 12th. For a price! :)

What's the HK / Singapore date? That's probably when it will become widely available for not much extra in the LOS too, as both are just a short flight away.

I am in the USA now but my flight back is on the 8th. I am seriously considering moving my flight by 4 days... :P dam_n couldn't they just ship it now? Anyway will probably just have a friend send it. Perhaps FedEx this time- they'll hit me for tax but at least it will get here in a reasonable amount of time. Last iPad I had shipped took 6 weeks.

Sure, they want to do an iPad 3 late this year, but I think whether that actually happens depends on:

- Availability of high resolution displays

- The competition - currently it looks like the iPad 2 can quite easily best everything that's been announced - and most aren't even shipping, so these guys will be outclassed by the time the ship! The iPad 2 is the thinnest, has the best OS, and the fastest processor, it's going to be hard to compete with that, especially at the iPad's price points. That's the killer, really. Maybe they can make a tablet that's as good or better using honeycomb - but not for $500 - no way!

So I think if there is nothing new from the others, Apple might decide they don't need anything better than the iPad 2. iPad 3 is supposed to have the retina display which I think will be yet another killer feature, and they'll make it so the others can't even buy those screens for a long time to come. That's Apple's strategic investment in touch screen manufacturing.

Honeycomb is not bad but I think Apple is going to be calling the shots all throughout 2011, setting the pace and keeping the others off balance.

Anyway a retina display is the only missing feature - with that, iPad would be perfect. It will make reading books on the iPad so much better....