New Ipads Are Coming!

Somtamnication

"I’m estimating that at least 60% of iPad buyers will get one. Based on an estimate of 36 million iPads sold in 2011 and an average price of $48 (70% polyurethane and 30% leather mix), the total revenue for Smart Covers will top $1 billion this year.

There's also a full leather one which I think is about $70. It would be cheap at twice the price!

Yeah - looks like Apple is going to make more money off their smart covers than all the others combined off their tablets...

Not their fault of course, Android just isn't there, and Apple has locked down most production capacity for the critical components - touch screens and flash memory. 2012 they might be different but by then I think it really might be too late. I showed off my iPad 2 recently at Starbucks Central Airport Chiang Mai, as you do... I saw 1 PC laptop in use. 1 Mac laptop. And 5 iPads (including mine)!!!

The smart cover - I am still loving it, it makes a huge difference. Compared to all those iPad 1 cases, it's tiny. The iPad 2 + cover is about the same size as the iPad 1. Or nearly. Propping up the iPad when typing makes it so I like to type on the iPad, whereas naked it's a bit awkward - balance it on the legs? Put it down flat and bend over the table?

Edited by nikster

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But for servicing, they gotta be sent back to the US (or wherever they originally bought it from, the dealers).

Don't think so. iPads have a limited international warranty, which I interpret as "should be OK to return to the local authorized dealership" - provided the iPad is already sold in that country. E.g. once the iPad 2 is sold in Thailand it should be OK.

It's a bit unclear googling though so if anyone has more accurate info, please let me know. I know that Macs have full unlimited international warranty, warranty is honored anywhere in the world. iPhones, on the other hand, don't have any international warranty. iPads are never carrier locked so I assume they're more like Macs.

• 2 weeks later...

Which costs $30 and is both ugly and annoying (I've got one). Let's not mince words here: It's an inadequate and stupid solution for an otherwise nice device. I really hate it, why not just put a micro USB port in it?

Edited by Crushdepth