New Ipads Are Coming!

Somtamnication

With the Thai Apple store having a sale on the Ipads, it would not surprise me if Singapore (where some Apple items are shipped from, and China) stocks the new ones. The sale must be for a reason!!!

The price reduction is worldwide from all Apple stores.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Thai Apple store having a sale on the Ipads, it would not surprise me if Singapore (where some Apple items are shipped from, and China) stocks the new ones. The sale must be for a reason!!!

Reason is that iPad 2 is out...

Hilarious spoof of iPad 2 introduction video: http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/03/conan-ipad-2-video/

Btw I am getting one as soon as they're out ;)

Edited by nikster

Correct, which means we are going to get it at about the same time as the others. Not wait till freegin´ October. My Ipad 1 is from HK and did I pay dearly for it.

Available in HK by later today in the shop where the appropriatley-named Mr. Jealousy Kwok works:

But Men Tone Digital Telecom is more ambitious. With about 100 orders, the store has set six price points, ranging from HK$6,000 to HK$11,000, for the iPad 2′s various versions. Customers have put down half the cost as a deposit. Jealousy Kwok, a Men Tone shopkeeper, said about 10 orders are from Hong Kong. The rest are from elsewhere in Asia, including India and Singapore.

http://blogs.wsj.com/hong-kong/2011/03/11/hong-kongers-pony-up-for-early-ipad-2/

Correct, which means we are going to get it at about the same time as the others. Not wait till freegin´ October. My Ipad 1 is from HK and did I pay dearly for it.

Available in HK by later today in the shop where the appropriatley-named Mr. Jealousy Kwok works:

But Men Tone Digital Telecom is more ambitious. With about 100 orders, the store has set six price points, ranging from HK$6,000 to HK$11,000, for the iPad 2′s various versions. Customers have put down half the cost as a deposit. Jealousy Kwok, a Men Tone shopkeeper, said about 10 orders are from Hong Kong. The rest are from elsewhere in Asia, including India and Singapore.

http://blogs.wsj.com/hong-kong/2011/03/11/hong-kongers-pony-up-for-early-ipad-2/

You've got to admire the industry of these people - they send couriers to the USA, they buy as many iPad2s as they can, take them back on the plane, and hawk them off in HK for a very solid profit. In China this kind of thing went so far as to make the iPhone 4 rare way past the date when it should have been rare, as new shipments were constantly bought up by middlemen. Created an artificial shortage there despite Apple's attempts to stop it...

Mine's arriving at my friend's in the USA tomorrow, then will get here as fast as FedEx can send it. Last time I used USPS which was duty free, but took 6 weeks. Don't want to wait that long this time around so I'll have to pay the import taxes.

Edit: I have heard FedEx has taken over USPS international services - does anyone know what that means, if anything?

Edited by nikster

You've got to admire the industry of these people - they send couriers to the USA, they buy as many iPad2s as they can, take them back on the plane, and hawk them off in HK for a very solid profit. In China this kind of thing went so far as to make the iPhone 4 rare way past the date when it should have been rare, as new shipments were constantly bought up by middlemen. Created an artificial shortage there despite Apple's attempts to stop it...

Mine's arriving at my friend's in the USA tomorrow, then will get here as fast as FedEx can send it. Last time I used USPS which was duty free, but took 6 weeks. Don't want to wait that long this time around so I'll have to pay the import taxes.

Edit: I have heard FedEx has taken over USPS international services - does anyone know what that means, if anything?

Please advise if and how much duty was imposed on the FedEx IPad delivery?

Thanks

I'll be flying thru BKK next week and want to pick one up :rolleyes:

Has anyone seen the IPad 2 at MBK?... What is the going gray market price?

37k for the 16G Wifi and 45k for the 64G. Did not check for the 3G models, because already these prices are out of the sky.

Apple has just confirmed the official launch of the iPad 2 in 25 more countries... Hong Kong, Singapore and Korea + additional countries will follow in April!

What do you think guys, is there any chance for an official Thailand launch in April?

BTW: any news about prices at MBK?

Apple has just confirmed the official launch of the iPad 2 in 25 more countries... Hong Kong, Singapore and Korea + additional countries will follow in April!

What do you think guys, is there any chance for an official Thailand launch in April?

If it's already in Singapore and HK, can't take that long, yeah.

Check the official confirmation (especially regarding Asia releases) on Apples Homepage :-)

official confirmation

I am trying to get mine from a european country this Friday. If that does not work out I will be in HK anyway in the middle of May. For those who are considering it. Take Air Asia to HK for THB 8k. Pick up the Ipad2 and fly back the next day. One day in HK and money in your pocket.........

J

btw, I'm really considering to buy the iPad 1 here in Bangkok since the price dropped to 12900 Baht for the 16GB wifi. I would be my first iPad, I'm still thrilled by the great usability. I really don't know if it's worth waiting for the iPad 2... and I'm not even talking about the differences in prices :-/

well, I think it won't be that easy because you can't make any reservations at a local apple reseller, so you can't just walk in and pick up your iPad, can't you?

As soon as the official release announcement has been made, you will be able to place an order on the online Apple Store. They may or may not be shipping immediately at that time, but you will at least be in the queue to receive one as soon as they are shipping.

If it's sold in HK in quantity - e.g. not scarce anymore - then you'll be able to get it over here for 2-3k baht more in any mall until Apple starts selling it directly on their Thai website.

Apple has lots of experience with this kind of thing by now, I think they'll be trying to prevent the grey market making lots of profit on these. They can't prevent it all, but they will do as much as it's possible. That also explains the very short delay between US and world-wide sales. Apple has a problem that every company would love to have: Making enough devices to fill demand.

Of the last iPad, Steve Jobs said a few months after the release that Apple's main challenge was to produce an iPad every 3 seconds. That's the rate they were selling at.... :blink: the iPad 2 will undoubtedly sell even better than the first one.

I was at MBK yesterday and asked two shops what their price was for the iPad 2 16GB WiFi model. One place quotes 32K and the other quoted 28.5K. Looks like prices are headed down...

did the shop owner tell you anything about the current demand for the iPad 2 at MBK? I would like to know if the prices are accepted or if people are still waiting for price drops.

Counting on my friends over there. They can buy one for me. I just go there to pay and pick it up.

lucky guy. I'm jealous wink.gif

dam_n, it kinda sucks if you skipped the first iPad and now I'm desperately waiting for the 2nd to be released in a country that usually is at the end of line when it comes to product releases.. dam_n! mad.gif

I was at MBK yesterday and asked two shops what their price was for the iPad 2 16GB WiFi model. One place quotes 32K and the other quoted 28.5K. Looks like prices are headed down...

did the shop owner tell you anything about the current demand for the iPad 2 at MBK? I would like to know if the prices are accepted or if people are still waiting for price drops.

Shops in Pattaya are quoting B 32K for the iPad 2 64GB WiFi model...better get on the bus :lol: