New Ipads Are Coming!

Somtamnication

I was at MBK yesterday and asked two shops what their price was for the iPad 2 16GB WiFi model. One place quotes 32K and the other quoted 28.5K. Looks like prices are headed down...

did the shop owner tell you anything about the current demand for the iPad 2 at MBK? I would like to know if the prices are accepted or if people are still waiting for price drops.

I didn't ask. Actually, I wasn't really interested in buying one, but was just curious to know what the price point was now. Also, I didn't attempt any bargaining, so you might be able to get a few hundred baht squeezed off the quoted price. If you are interested in the 28.5K price, the shop number was around B-24, just near the escalators.

I'm sure the prices will continue to decline as more iPad 2s become available.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at MBK yesterday and asked two shops what their price was for the iPad 2 16GB WiFi model. One place quotes 32K and the other quoted 28.5K. Looks like prices are headed down...

did the shop owner tell you anything about the current demand for the iPad 2 at MBK? I would like to know if the prices are accepted or if people are still waiting for price drops.

I didn't ask. Actually, I wasn't really interested in buying one, but was just curious to know what the price point was now. Also, I didn't attempt any bargaining, so you might be able to get a few hundred baht squeezed off the quoted price. If you are interested in the 28.5K price, the shop number was around B-24, just near the escalators.

The question is: how much will the price drop within the next two or three weeks?

Thai online retailer bask1 are selling Ipad 2 starting at around 25,000 baht - double the price of the same spec Ipad 1. I know what I would buy if I was going to buy an Ipad.

To be honest, I would pay this price right away. Is it on stock? Is it possible to pick up the iPad personally at this shop?

The question is: how much will the price drop within the next two or three weeks?

I'm sure I've seen some tarot card readers somewhere at MBK. You question would probably be best directed to one of them.

Thai online retailer bask1 are selling Ipad 2 starting at around 25,000 baht - double the price of the same spec Ipad 1. I know what I would buy if I was going to buy an Ipad.

To be honest, I would pay this price right away. Is it on stock? Is it possible to pick up the iPad personally at this shop?

I don't know, why don't you give them a call and find out, their number is on their website. They have people speaking passable English.

According to the website they're located near Don Muang.

I've bought from them before, delivered next day by EMS, no problem.

Hmm,

I'm off to Brussels late April and Montreal early May, prices for 64GB WIFI resp. 680 and 520 euro,if the Thai price stays higher than the 22k for the Montreal price I can wait to bring one back (and bring a second one for a price? :lol:)

Guys, I've bought an iPad 2 at MBK earlier today. There's a shop called "December shop", at the B-area... I bought the iPad 2 wifi 16GB for 24.000,00 Baht. I've checked the Serial Number on the Apple Support Homepage to make sure that it's not a fake, everything is fine, it was bought on March 11th (no surprise) rolleyes.gif

Of course it's a US-model.

They unpacked it and I could use it as long as I want before I actually paid it. I'm very happy, IMHO it's a decent price for the current demand.

To be honest, I was surprised that the prices dropped THAT much!! The price works fine for me, it's just ~80€ more than the retail price in Germany. Pretty nice deal!

Edited by sambosoul

or wait a week or 2 for the official HK release, prices will fall. U could even fly to HK on airasia buy one fly back and pay less than what MBK will ask. Shipito.com now have a HK office also. :)

your camera gives you the pictures you wantrolleyes.gif

Facetime?, 1080p video output and gaming?, lighter thinner for extending reading?, twice the CPU power?, 9x the graphics performance? :)

Why pay 12900THb for the old generation product this week when in the next 2 weeks you can get the new model for around 6000THB more (Still grey import in Thailand)

Edited by negreanu

Just saw this,,, for you guys who think ipad is the way to go :o

It's here!!! iPad2

พร้อมAppสุดฮิต Infininy Blade ,iWork(Pages ,Keynote ,Numbers)

,Garageband ,iMovie และอื่นอีกกว่า 150Apps

โทรสอบถามราคาได้ตั้งแต่เวลา 13.00 ของทุกวันครับ

■ WiFi (ดำ ,ขาว) 3G+WiFi

16GB = 23,500 , 24,000 16GB = โทรสอบถาม

32GB = 25,500 , 25,500 32GB = โทรสอบถาม

64GB = 29,500 , 29,500 64GB = โทรสอบถาม

Just saw this,,, for you guys who think ipad is the way to go :o

It's here!!! iPad2

พร้อมAppสุดฮิต Infininy Blade ,iWork(Pages ,Keynote ,Numbers)

,Garageband ,iMovie และอื่นอีกกว่า 150Apps

โทรสอบถามราคาได้ตั้งแต่เวลา 13.00 ของทุกวันครับ

■ WiFi (ดำ ,ขาว) 3G+WiFi

16GB = 23,500 , 24,000 16GB = โทรสอบถาม

32GB = 25,500 , 25,500 32GB = โทรสอบถาม

64GB = 29,500 , 29,500 64GB = โทรสอบถาม

Is that supposed to mean that the 3G version is just 500 more than the wifi version? lie! never! blink.gifhuh.gif

Careful when dealing with this guy.

I ordered this morning the 64Gb 3G model. It was listed on his side for THB 36'500, which is just a bit more expensive than the original price. Did a realtime transfer and 2 hours later he called me to tell me the price went up to THB 40'500.

I still have the order confirmation at the original price. Now he has changed it on his webside to THB 36'500.

I told him to either ship it for the price we agreed on or to give me back my money.

Let's see what happens.

I ordered this morning the 64Gb 3G model. It was listed on his side for THB 36'500, which is just a bit more expensive than the original price. Did a realtime transfer and 2 hours later he called me to tell me the price went up to THB 40'500.

I still have the order confirmation at the original price. Now he has changed it on his webside to THB 36'500.

I told him to either ship it for the price we agreed on or to give me back my money.

Let's see what happens.

I'm surprised to hear that as I've bought from him more than once and always got the best price I was able to find in Thailand.

Here is the email that I got from him AFTER money was transferred and order confirmation was received.

Now ipad 2 64g/3g price 40500 bath

Thank

Bask.com

I guess he forgot to update his website with the new prices. That is why I now asked him to pay back the sum I paid. The difference between the Apple price and his price is now too big. I can wait it out. Besides I do not like to pay a price and then only to be paid more.

Regards.

Got it! Can hardly believe it but it passed through customs without a hitch - no taxes. That's with UPS expedited shipping! Certainly a first for me. I am not sure if it was just luck, or our ruse worked: We had RMA - WARRANTY RETURN written on the box, complete with RMA number! Haha. Got the magnetic cover too - it's too magical to miss out on. Will post more once I play with it. I paid $499 + UPS shipping...

Mini review:

The iPad 2 doesn't look or feel very different from the iPad one, except that it has the cameras. While cameras may seem like a natural for this device I didn't miss them all that much on the old iPad. Nice to have for sure, but not a reason to, say, upgrade.

Speed feels no different to before either. The iPad 2 is supposed to be 2x as fast and it has a dual core processor and way better graphics. But the iPad 1 was already super fast for most things, so the feel is similar. I imagine new games will take advantage of this eventually.

The thing that really stands out is the magnetic cover. I am happy I got it because it's just.... It's amazing. First of all, what company except apple would obsess about a thing such as the cover? Second, who would come up with something so elegant, useful, and simply genius as those magnetic covers? Here is how I works:

- The cover is connected to the iPads side by means of a long, narrow magnet. Its solid but you can snap it off leaving no trace at any time

- The cover can be unfolded in front to cover the screen. This also turns the screen off.

- When you remove the cover from the front, the screen instantly turns back on

- The cover unfolds over the back to use the iPad normally, it's completely out of the way that way

- The cover can be rolled up into a triangle shape behind the iPad. If you have the triangle on the bottom the iPad stands up at a steep angle perfect for watching video or using it as a photo frame. If you turn the iPad around you can use it at a flat angle perfect for typing. I am using that right now and it makes a huge difference for typing on the iPad. Typing is now actually comfortable.

All in all I strongly recommend getting the magnetic cover for anyone buying an iPad 2. If you already have an iPad you probably don't need to upgrade - better wait for the next version which will have a bigger delta in features

Mini review:

The iPad 2 doesn't look or feel very different from the iPad one, except that it has the cameras. While cameras may seem like a natural for this device I didn't miss them all that much on the old iPad. Nice to have for sure, but not a reason to, say, upgrade.

Speed feels no different to before either. The iPad 2 is supposed to be 2x as fast and it has a dual core processor and way better graphics. But the iPad 1 was already super fast for most things, so the feel is similar. I imagine new games will take advantage of this eventually.

The thing that really stands out is the magnetic cover. I am happy I got it because it's just.... It's amazing. First of all, what company except apple would obsess about a thing such as the cover? Second, who would come up with something so elegant, useful, and simply genius as those magnetic covers? Here is how I works:

- The cover is connected to the iPads side by means of a long, narrow magnet. Its solid but you can snap it off leaving no trace at any time

- The cover can be unfolded in front to cover the screen. This also turns the screen off.

- When you remove the cover from the front, the screen instantly turns back on

- The cover unfolds over the back to use the iPad normally, it's completely out of the way that way

- The cover can be rolled up into a triangle shape behind the iPad. If you have the triangle on the bottom the iPad stands up at a steep angle perfect for watching video or using it as a photo frame. If you turn the iPad around you can use it at a flat angle perfect for typing. I am using that right now and it makes a huge difference for typing on the iPad. Typing is now actually comfortable.

All in all I strongly recommend getting the magnetic cover for anyone buying an iPad 2. If you already have an iPad you probably don't need to upgrade - better wait for the next version which will have a bigger delta in features

On the issue of the smart cover:

"I’m estimating that at least 60% of iPad buyers will get one. Based on an estimate of 36 million iPads sold in 2011 and an average price of $48 (70% polyurethane and 30% leather mix), the total revenue for Smart Covers will top $1 billion this year.

I further estimate that with a very modest gross margin of 75% (average cost to produce of $12), the Smart Cover could contribute $777 million to Apple’s gross margins."

From : Horace Deidu, who has been one of the most accurate "amateur" Apple analyst in the last year with his numbers.

Wow. A billion dollars. For a side business.

In Te's shop, the first and second generation paper iPads sell at a dollar for 888 gigabyte capacity,

iPad 2 sold out in the afterlife as Chinese pray for the dead

6:00am EST

By Niluksi Koswanage

KUALA LUMPUR, April 4 | Mon Apr 4, 2011 12:09am EDT

(Reuters Life!) - Apple's iPad 2 shortage has spread to the afterlife as Chinese families in Malaysia rush to buy paper replicas of the popular new gadget to burn for their dead as part of a centuries-old rite.

During the Qingming festival, also known as the tomb sweeping festival, Chinese communities in Asia honour their ancestors by burning fake money or replicas of luxury items such as flashy cars and designer bags.

The festival, which stems from Confucian teachings of loyalty to family and tradition, is also celebrated widely among the Chinese in Malaysia, who make up a quarter of the 28 million people in the mostly Muslim but multicultural country.

"Some of my customers have dreams where their departed relatives will ask for luxury items including the iPad 2," said prayer item shopkeeper Jeffrey Te as he filled cardboard chests with fake money at his shop on the outskirts of the capital.

"I can only offer them the first iPad model," he added, pointing to shelves stocked with the gadget along with paper iPhones and Samsung Galaxy Tabs.

Te shipped in 300 iPad 2 replica sets from China for the Qingming festival, which has just flown off the shelves and left him struggling to meet demand -- a scenario Apple Inc also faces. [iD:nL3E7EP0HD]

In Te's shop, the first and second generation paper iPads sell at a dollar for 888 gigabyte capacity, an auspicious number in Chinese culture. A basic 16 gigabyte iPad for the living costs $499.

For some Chinese, technological gadgets will not be part of the shopping list for their dead relatives.

"They belong to the older generation. If you give all these so-called iPads, they don't know how to use it," said Thomas Soong, 61, as he set fire to a pile of fake money at his grandmother's grave on the fringes of the Malaysian capital.

"So traditionally we give them shoes, shirts ... all the necessities," he added. (Reporting by Niluksi Koswanage; Editing by Sugita Katyal)

"I’m estimating that at least 60% of iPad buyers will get one. Based on an estimate of 36 million iPads sold in 2011 and an average price of $48 (70% polyurethane and 30% leather mix), the total revenue for Smart Covers will top $1 billion this year.

There's also a full leather one which I think is about $70. It would be cheap at twice the price!

Let's see what happens.

So what has happened?... Does he have stock or is it on backorder?