เฮ้ย ป้ะ เนี่ย

ChAoS87

Hi guys, i would like to know more about the following interjections/particles:

1) เฮ้ย is it only used in angry situation, a unpolite particle?

2) ป้ะ the same question, is it used only in an unmannered way?

3) finally เนี่ย , a very common particle in daily thai, it says 'uses in question/statements ro refer what was said', any examples on how to use this word?

Thank you so much

1) เฮ้ย is it only used in angry situation, a unpolite particle? You can think of it mentally as an interjection that would be used where one might use 'hey!!' in English, but in terms of register I think it is less acceptable than hey is in English, so don't use it yourself until you've collected a good number of actual situations where Thais would use it. Mind the context. 2) Not sure what this signifies. 3) finally เนี่ย , a very common particle in daily thai, it says 'uses in question/statements ro refer what was said', any examples on how to use this word? It's a colloquial variation of นี่ which is (mostly) a demonstrative pronoun. It is used in the same positions where you would use นี่. Not something to emulate at the early stages if you are shooting for a 'polite and correct' way of speaking. It is not inherently offensive though, just considered sloppy by those who are very careful with how they use language. I hear it used by Thais in all classes of society.

I can think of two things you might mean by ป้ะ.

The first, which Peppey has mentioned, is short for เหรือเปล่า, though I usually see that written ป่ะ. It's used when talking with people one is familiar with, or when one is being intentionally informal. It's not unmannered, just very informal. Adding ครับ or คะ after it makes it informal but with a bit of politeness.

The second is short for ไป, with aspiration after the vowel, like /pah!/, used as an interjection meaning "Let's go!". I'm not sure I've ever seen this written, or if it were written, if it wouldn't just be spelled ไป. It's cohortative, which just means that you're mutually encouraging people to go (including yourself, hence the co-). It's also an informal term, but not rude, unless perhaps you're trying to use it with someone of higher social standing and/or who you aren't on familiar terms with. The imperative form of ไป, often written ไป๊ = "scram!" or "get out of here!", can easily be rude, though.