Arriving At Lhr With Thai Wife And Our Son

NanLaew

Looks like we will be entering the UK at Heathrow. My recollection is of long slow queues for non-EU foreigners and shorter lines for us Brit passport holders. I assume I have no alternative but to get in the visitors line to make sure there's no problems with the wife getting through.

Years ago one could zip through the UK passport line and lurk behind the visitors desks in case assistance was needed but assume increased security prevents this now.

Anyone with recent LHR Immigration experiences, please advise. We are arriving on Thai's morning flight at Terminal 3.

Thanks,

NL

My (then) girlfriend (now wife) came back to the UK with me last May, and I done exactly as you mentioned.

Went through the UK passport line, then stood around the back of the immigration officers area on the other side waiting for my girlfriend.

My girlfriend was asked 1 or 2 questions, then was asked 'where is your boyfriend/sponsor' my girlfriend then pointed me out and I came forward from behind the desk.

Luckily the immigration officer was very nice, but she did say that next time I ought to wait and go through with my girlfriend (in the visitor's line)

I doubt that they would look fondly on a Non EU Passport holder queuing in the EU passport lane - you may end up with 'jobsworth' who could send her to the back of the Non EU Passport holders lane.

Safest bet: Queue with your wife in the Non EU Passport lane and let her go before you so you have a visual in the event of any issues.

If the Non EU Passport holders lane is ridiculously full then the EU lane may be worth a try, letting your wife go ahead of you should ensure that you can see what's going on.

Thanks for that quick update. We usually avoid LHR and enter at Aberdeen where getting in the 'slow lane' means getting to the baggage carousel first! Pity they don't allow accompanied foreign spouses to use the residents line like they do in BKK.

Thanks for that quick update. We usually avoid LHR and enter at Aberdeen where getting in the 'slow lane' means getting to the baggage carousel first! Pity they don't allow accompanied foreign spouses to use the residents line like they do in BKK.

I always use Heathrow and was specifically told by Senior immigration Officer to "stay to together as a family and use the UK line"

We always used to split and I would wait for her until I was approached and told this.

The same applies when returning to Thailand, stay as family and go through "Thai" immigration not foreigners.

Never ever been challenged on either side when doing this.

There is no need to queue at the Non – Eu line at Heathrow Airport.

If you are with your Wife and Son, you can take them through the Brit Passport control.

Just make sure you have filled in the Arrival Card for them.

I have done this on a number of occasions, after a member of the Border Agency advised me it was ok to do so (can save up to 1 hour in time)

It is certainly UKBA policy that families should not be split up so you could use either line, we have always carried out the advice the Chief Immigration Officer seemingly gave to CharlieH and cleared immigration via the UK/EU line and have never ever had a problem.

I always use Heathrow and was specifically told by Senior immigration Officer to "stay to together as a family and use the UK line"

We always used to split and I would wait for her until I was approached and told this.

The same applies when returning to Thailand, stay as family and go through "Thai" immigration not foreigners.

Never ever been challenged on either side when doing this.

Same for us.. never been challenged using UK line.

I have been through HR many times with thai wife and you can use Uk channel with you other airports like Birmingham don't allow however.

[/quote

i can thru LHR , two weeks ago .

i was in the queue for EU passport holders for over an hour .

the non EU , was an even longer queue.

i suggest you take a packed lunch and a good book . :jap:

For those that say your wife and son can go via the EU control point are incorrect.

I asked my brother in law who works at Imigration LHR and he says they WILL be rejected at this line.

Just get them to queue at the correct point, you will see that the EU line is very long also so they be be out before you. In teh past 3 years the EU line has taken ages to go down as only 2 officers max at any one time, not quick like it was 5-10 years ago!!

You can also queue with them as also sated to save time and trouble mabe.

Have a good tip.

Policy must have changed since I last went through UK mmigration 6 years ago when they allowed me and my daughter with UK passports through but the missus had to wait in the non-EU queue.

Took mrs to UK, had a guy looking at passports in queue, told me to go UK line with mrs. :)

LHR Immigration fully understand the difficulties of a family going through Immigration in two seperate sections,the holder of the British Passport,should go through the non British Section with Thai Family,and just politely ask "Is it alright to go through this section with my wife/family"etc, Iv'e never had a problem with entering the UK this way,Usually they are very helpful.

Edited by MAJIC

Correct.

and yes, he is an IO, so I guess that you are not and that maybe as it is his FT job he knows a little more than you?? Just another guess.

The problem with this forum is that people ask for advice and are kindly given the views of others, when an EXPERT gives the exact advise, as in this case, it seems that 'know alls' deem the expert to be incorrect.

Sheeesh.

I say go to whetever line you want, your life, your choice.

For me in this situation, I would go with my wife and child through the non EU line otherwise you WILL find that they ar eturned back having to queue all over again. That's just me, my wife an dchild hold a British Passport.

LHR Immigration fully understand the difficulties of a family going through Immigration in two seperate sections,the holder of the British Passport,should go through the non British Section with Thai Family,and just politely ask "Is it alright to go through this section with my wife/family"etc, Iv'e never had a problem with entering the UK this way,Usually they are very helpful.

Nope, wouldn't happen.

Policy must have changed since I last went through UK mmigration 6 years ago when they allowed me and my daughter with UK passports through but the missus had to wait in the non-EU queue.

Took mrs to UK, had a guy looking at passports in queue, told me to go UK line with mrs. :)

He is, obviously you are not so who would you think knows more about immigration practices at LHR?

Probably come back to argue that one!

People on here have too much time to try to argue about information that are not invloved with. Get a life pal.

I'm sorry but my experience with UKBA staff at Heathrow is at odds with your brother in laws advice, just hope I don't get in his queue next time then, assuming he is an IO.

Policy is the same but as you experienced your wife wityh a NO EU passport had to join a different queue, been ther ealso.

It is theh same now, 2 different lines.

My (then) girlfriend (now wife) came back to the UK with me last May, and I done exactly as you mentioned.

Went through the UK passport line, then stood around the back of the immigration officers area on the other side waiting for my girlfriend.

My girlfriend was asked 1 or 2 questions, then was asked 'where is your boyfriend/sponsor' my girlfriend then pointed me out and I came forward from behind the desk.

Luckily the immigration officer was very nice, but she did say that next time I ought to wait and go through with my girlfriend (in the visitor's line)

I am going back with my girlfriend in May. So I take it that this would be the best option for us?

jb1

Hi JB1

Please do not try to go through teh EU line, your gf will be turned away thus you will need to queue all over again.

Go with her through teh non eu channle, all ok, no problems with you doing that either.

Hope all goes well.

I am going back with my girlfriend in May. So I take it that this would be the best option for us?

jb1

He is, obviously you are not so who would you think knows more about immigration practices at LHR?

People on here have too much time to try to argue about information that are not invloved with. Get a life pal.

I'm sorry but my experience with UKBA staff at Heathrow is at odds with your brother in laws advice, just hope I don't get in his queue next time then, assuming he is an IO.

Thankfully I am not your pal, I am not going to argue with you as you clearly know everything.

However you make assumptions about me which so way off the mark, if only you knew me then you would realise how ridiculous you statements are.

Disagree Oldgit.

i am just trying to save this chap a whole lotta queuing at LHR.

If you knew who I was, which you don't, then you will know I am not an arguementative chap, indeed, i am very helpful but it does annoy me when people on here give incorrect advice. I understand that they are trying to assist others but if someone has more knowledge than the next person then why do people on here start to slag people off? it's ridiculous. There are too many know-alls in Thailand who beleive because they are not Thai and they live in a foreign land that they have some sort of IQ implant when they leave the big bird at BKK. They don't! Many of the posters here are great, but there are a few, no names mentioned, who know nothing whatsoever about a posters query so why comment? The post by this chap is a classic example, people trying to assist but who either don't know the answer and guess or just 'think' they know best even when a LHR Immigration Officers confirms the correct procedure. It's nonsemse. From my experince alot of stayers in LoS are complete fakes who will tell you they were great businessmen in theor own countries but who are really failures, are you one of these?

Let me conclude by asking you this, if your wife, for example, speaks Thai, and you ask her what a word means, she tells you but a non thai speaker says she is wrong who do you believe? I would say your wife as she speaks the language and thus has more experience than a non Thai speaker who wants to put in his two penneys worth? Point taken?

Just keep calm, go about your business and if there is a post you have an answer to that is correct, post, if not, just have a read.

Edited by Rimmer
quote from deleted post

I take it then you are a current Immigration Officer based at LHR?

Thankfully I am not your pal, I am not going to argue with you as you clearly know everything.

However you make assumptions about me which so way off the mark, if only you knew me then you would realise how ridiculous you statements are.