Is Chiang Mai Friendlier Than Bangkok?

ding

I think Chiang Mai people taken as a whole are certainly more friendly than Bangkokians. They are also more deceptive and more poorly educated, but it's a good trade-off.

There are some rough sorts in Bangers, espcially Yaowarat, etc.

But a few infrequent experiences in CM were counter to what I had figured, which is what you mention. There were regular events where I was literally pushed in the area of the night bazaar. The restaurant staff were definitely less customer oriented than Banngkok on a couple of occasions. Of course, I may not pay attention in Bangkok as I usually expect it. Or I may just have very good luck in Bangkok as I rarely have anything but very friendly experiences. I did leave a camera at a restaurant in CM and the manager saved it for me when I went back the next day. I got him designer cologne at Boots worth more than the stupid cam as a thanks! That wouldn't happen often in BKK.

Do those who imply my question may not be the most thoughtful have experience living in CM?

Sorry, but it is a stupid question.. Of course Chiang Mai is friendlier than BKK.

Oh the irony. :rolleyes:

"You unconscionable piece of monkey excrement, of course we're friendly!" :)

IMHO Thais in CM are probably the friendliest in Thailand :)

Yes, and the local Muang people are too. Close call with the North East though.

I think Chiang Mai people taken as a whole are certainly more friendly than Bangkokians. They are also more deceptive and more poorly educated, but it's a good trade-off.

Ummmmm .....

I would say that the people are actually pretty similar. Bangkok people outside of the tourist zones or where people are leading more stressful lives like the CBD are quite friendly. The same is true in Chiang Mai. The difference is that it is easier to get away from those areas in Chiang Mai to meet the more relaxed/friendly people.

Ummmmm .....

I would say that the people are actually pretty similar. Bangkok people outside of the tourist zones or where people are leading more stressful lives like the CBD are quite friendly. The same is true in Chiang Mai. The difference is that it is easier to get away from those areas in Chiang Mai to meet the more relaxed/friendly people.

I don't find them similar in any way. Northereners are slow at just about everything. Sometimes that's nice for things that don't matter much and sometimes it is a pain in the ass for things that do. They're a fairly disingenuous people compared to Bankokians and particularly Southerners but that's one of the things that makes them so polite. Like I say it is a trade-off.

I normally agree with you LannaRebirth, but not this time. I lived in BKK for years and only up here in Chiang Mai for 1.25 years but have found the average folks in both places to be similar. Granted, I didn't live in central BKK, and instead lived out off of Sri Nakarin. All in all I would say the people strike me as quite similar in outlook and behavior when you get away from the CBD and tourist areas (and that the CBD and tourist areas in both places are similar to each other as well).

My observations and all are welcome to their own opinions based upon their own experiences :)

I normally agree with you LannaRebirth, but not this time. I lived in BKK for years and only up here in Chiang Mai for 1.25 years but have found the average folks in both places to be similar. Granted, I didn't live in central BKK, and instead lived out off of Sri Nakarin. All in all I would say the people strike me as quite similar in outlook and behavior when you get away from the CBD and tourist areas (and that the CBD and tourist areas in both places are similar to each other as well).

My observations and all are welcome to their own opinions based upon their own experiences :)

I don't think Chiang Mai has a Central Business District, which is one of its appealing characteristics.

Wherever ya have alot of farangs,the nationals become less friendly.So neither bangkok or chiang mai is very friendly.

Don't believe me go to A Issan city where there aren't many farangs ,you'll see how much friendlier it is.Farangs ruin asian cities.

I don't think Chiang Mai has a Central Business District, which is one of its appealing characteristics.

It aint skyscrapers etc ..... but From the river to the moat is CNX's CBD.

Thrilled ... what city have you ruined?

W

R

O

N

G

WRONG

WRONG....

T-R-A-N-G.... IS THE MOST FRIENDLY AND A NOTCH ABOVE ALL THE REST.... :D

if you don't believe me....

just drop by the governor's office in Trang....

and ask him....

Governor MIGHTY (ไมตรี) will assure and show you and everyone else that....

T R A N G is truly the greatest place to live....

but the governor's quota for Farang has a waiting list of about 10 years.... so good luck.... B)

W

R

O

N

G

WRONG

WRONG....

T-R-A-N-G.... IS THE MOST FRIENDLY AND A NOTCH ABOVE ALL THE REST.... :D

Yes, I liked Trang too. One of those places in the South that I would consider living, as opposed to holidaying. Like Chiang Mai, Trang is a small town that however feels like there's bit of history to it, while still being cheaper than Phuket Town. This sense of history you don't get living in Samui or whatever other place that just went 'Boom!' with tourism a decade or two ago.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

See that, I ask a stupid question and STILL get sound advice here. :jap:

I'm one who loves Bangkok, Ko Samet, and even Udon Thani. So I'm good to go. Just had a high percentage of asshat encounters on the trips to Chiang Mai, so thought I'd check the collective "wisdom" here.

:/brown-nosing:

Chiang Mai has the advantage of more square meters (or square feet) per Bhat. I can rent a house there with a small yard and twice the area, for the same price as I can get a studio condo near the Skytrain in Bangers.

Traffic is friendlier in CM -that's a given- but I still managed to put a young lady's moto in jeapardy there! :whistling:

Anyway, I tend to get to the tourist areas a lot whenever I'm there, so the CBD and farang areas would be a regular encounter. Udon is too far out and we need good internet, so outlying areas of CM are probably out too.

And the flower kids made Chiang Mai seem like <deleted>' Mexico! They were HUGE pests and would NOT leave our table even after telling them "no" a dozen times. Never experienced that in Thailand before there.

Edited by ding

A good trade-off for some, one might add ;)