Obama declares national emergency, freezes Gadhafi's assets

News_Editor

Obama declares national emergency, freezes Gadhafi's assets

2011-02-26 14:39:33 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. President Barack Obama on late Friday declared a national emergency and issued an executive order to block property and prohibiting transactions related to Libya.

Libya has been plunged into chaos as massive anti-government protests continue nationwide, resulting in a violent crackdown by security forces which included aerial bombardments on protesters. At least 300 people and as many as more than 1,000 people have been killed in the uprising, but confirmed information has been difficult to obtain due to reporting restrictions by Libyan authorities.

In the executive order, Obama describes the new sanctions against Libya and the reasoning behind them. "Colonel [Muammar al-Gaddafi], his government, and close associates have taken extreme measures against the people of Libya, including by using weapons of war, mercenaries, and wanton violence against unarmed civilians," he said in the order.

Obama continues by saying he believes there is a "serious risk" that Libyan state assets will be misappropriated by Gaddafi, members of his government, members of his family, or his close associates if those assets are not protected. He also declared a national emergency, citing a threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States.

"The foregoing circumstances, the prolonged attacks, and the increased numbers of Libyans seeking refuge in other countries from the attacks, have caused a deterioration in the security of Libya and pose a serious risk to its stability, thereby constituting an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States, and I hereby declare a national emergency to deal with that threat," the order said.

Obama's order blocks the property and interests in property of persons such as Gaddafi himself, his children and other government officials. "By any measure, [Muammar al-Gaddafi's] government has violated international norms and common decency and must be held accountable," the U.S. President said.

He added: "Going forward, the United States will continue to closely coordinate our actions with the international community, including our friends and allies, and the United Nations. We will stand steadfastly with the Libyan people in their demand for universal rights, and a government that is responsive to their aspirations. Their human dignity cannot be denied."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-02-26

There is no facts that he ordered the bombing - there are strong suspicions. As in 'we know he did it but we cannot prove it'.

But I am truly baffled as to the 'national emergency' that has been called...surely Libya isn't located in the US. Yet.

After facts emerge that Gadaffi ordered the bombing of Pan Am flight 103 - Yet Barck does not demand Gadaffi be handed over for a terror trial. Hard as a marshmallow.

Not really 'facts', just a current blame by Gadaffi former Justice Minister.

Anyway Libya paid already billions of dollars as compensation for the families of the victims few years ago.

Edited by metisdead
Removed off topic comments.

I also found that national emergency language odd. Clearly he is talking about a national emergency for the US. So what he is talking about is elevating enforcement of the new policies regarding Libya in his area of jurisdiction, the U.S.

Edited by Jingthing

One would think that by now the TV readers would not take the headlines as issued by TV as gospel, there has been NO national emergency declared, just some copy editor at BNO NEWS who has too much time on his hands and doesn't have a clue on what an Executive Order means

The White House has merely issued an Executive Order

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/2011libya.eo_.rel_.pdf

You know, now that I think about it.

Edited by Scott
Discussion of moderation edited out

One would think that by now the TV readers would not take the headlines as issued by TV as gospel, there has been NO national emergency declared, just some copy editor at BNO NEWS who has too much time on his hands and doesn't have a clue on what an Executive Order means

The Executive Order claims to be based on 50 USC.1701 which reads in part as follows:

U.S. International Emergency Economic Powers Act

(IEEPA) 50 U.S.C. §§ 1701-1707

§ 1701. Unusual and extraordinary threat; declaration of national emergency; exercise of

Presidential authorities

(a) Any authority granted to the President by section 203 [50 USCS § 1702] may be exercised to

deal with any unusual and extraordinary threat, which has its source in whole or substantial part

outside the United States, to the national security, foreign policy, or economy of the United

States, if the President declares a national emergency with respect to such threat.

(B) The authorities granted to the President by section 203 [50 USCS § 1702] may only be

exercised to deal with an unusual and extraordinary threat with respect to which a national

emergency has been declared for purposes of this title [50 USCS §§ 1701 et seq.] and may not be

exercised for any other purpose. Any exercise of such authorities to deal with any new threat

shall be based on a new declaration of national emergency which must be with respect to such

threat.

More here: http://www.uchastings.edu/faculty-administration/faculty/paul/class-website/docs/USInternationalEmergencyEconomicPowersAct.pdf

National Emergency? What nation? The Imperial President. Rules by Decree.

This allows the president to freeze the assets of Libya until such time as there is a stable government. Right now, it is questionable as to who is in control of the country and who should be allowed to withdraw funds, sell assets or dispose of other property which is inside the US but belongs to Libya.

It is a serious order, based on the current situation in the country. It's not something that should be done hastily, but it's not something you want to wait to long to do either. It might be good if The Colonel doesn't have unlimited funds at his disposal for hiring the Somali pirates and the Sudanese to help him-. Might also be good to make sure the Embassy staff don't decide to start selling the property off for their retirement fund.

The Executive Order claims to be based on 50 USC.1701 which reads in part as follows:

U.S. International Emergency Economic Powers Act

(IEEPA) 50 U.S.C. §§ 1701-1707

§ 1701. Unusual and extraordinary threat; declaration of national emergency; exercise of

Presidential authorities

(a) Any authority granted to the President by section 203 [50 USCS § 1702] may be exercised to

deal with any unusual and extraordinary threat, which has its source in whole or substantial part

outside the United States, to the national security, foreign policy, or economy of the United

States, if the President declares a national emergency with respect to such threat.

(B) The authorities granted to the President by section 203 [50 USCS § 1702] may only be

exercised to deal with an unusual and extraordinary threat with respect to which a national

emergency has been declared for purposes of this title [50 USCS §§ 1701 et seq.] and may not be

exercised for any other purpose. Any exercise of such authorities to deal with any new threat

shall be based on a new declaration of national emergency which must be with respect to such

threat.

More here: http://www.uchastings.edu/faculty-administration/faculty/paul/class-website/docs/USInternationalEmergencyEconomicPowersAct.pdf

The smiley in my quote is an accident of nature. The symbol for the smiley on TV Forum is B+Close parenthesis.

Where it is situated is paragraph B of the USC.

hmm... last line of second paragraph in the file u linked to :-

and I hereby declare a national emergency to deal with that threat.

I dont understand....

If Gaddafi finds that the insurgents, terrorists, threatens the nations safety and Libyan lives I am sure he can order his armed forces to open fire on anyone who carries a gun or an item resembling a gun. Been done before in other parts of the world!

The ”mercenaries” are nothing less then security forces ,contractors, they probably have signed contracts that excludes them from penalty under Libyan law and carries diplomatic passports so they can more or less do what they see fit. Nothing new here either, been done before in other parts of the world!

I'm quite sure that Gaddafi will work with allies and friend to form an coalition and restore stability and peace, democracy and human rights in the region. I for one wouldn't be surprised if he recived a Nobel peace price for this. Nothing new here either!

What Kaddafi do need is a god speech writer like Obamas. That would fool the whole world into thinking he is a good and democratic leader.

Tiger

PS! It seems that Fidel was right all the time!

I dont understand....

If Gaddafi finds that the insurgents, terrorists, threatens the nations safety and Libyan lives I am sure he can order his armed forces to open fire on anyone who carries a gun or an item resembling a gun. Been done before in other parts of the world!

The ”mercenaries” are nothing less then security forces ,contractors, they probably have signed contracts that excludes them from penalty under Libyan law and carries diplomatic passports so they can more or less do what they see fit. Nothing new here either, been done before in other parts of the world!

I'm quite sure that Gaddafi will work with allies and friend to form an coalition and restore stability and peace, democracy and human rights in the region. I for one wouldn't be surprised if he recived a Nobel peace price for this. Nothing new here either!

What Kaddafi do need is a god speech writer like Obamas. That would fool the whole world into thinking he is a good and democratic leader.

Tiger

PS! It seems that Fidel was right all the time!

You are really alone on this one.

I just listened to the UN live on TV and all the members of the Security Council all spoke to condemn the acts of Libya and all asked that Quaddafi be referred to the International Criminal Court. It is the first time all of the members have acted unanimously to do so.

The United Nations Security Council voted 15 to 0 today to bar the travel and freeze the foreign assets of Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi and four officials in an effort to halt his regime’s attacks on protesters.

People's Republic of China

France

Russian Federation

United Kingdom

United States

Non-permanent members

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Brazil

Colombia

Gabon

Germany

India

Lebanon

Nigeria

Portugal

South Africa

Froze 'em all, did he? And just how many "assets" does Gadhafi have in America? Tip money for the hotel bellhops when he visits the United Nations?

(Reuters)

Libya's secretive sovereign wealth fund has $32 billion in cash with several U.S. banks each managing up to $500 million, and it has primary investments in London, a confidential diplomatic cable shows. The cable, obtained by WikiLeaks and revealing the details of a January meeting between the head of the Libyan Investment Authority (LIA) and the U.S. ambassador in Tripoli, comes as the United States and European governments explored the possibility of freezing assets belonging to the Libyan government.

National Emergency? What nation? The Imperial President. Rules by Decree.

It is normal procedure for a President to issue an Executive Order. The last President Bush issued 280. Reagan issued 380, Esenhower issued 381. etc. etc.

President Bush also used the same term of national emergency when he signed an executive order freezing the assets of groups deemed to be terrorist organizations.

There is othing unusual about President Obama's actions.

Froze 'em all, did he? And just how many "assets" does Gadhafi have in America? Tip money for the hotel bellhops when he visits the United Nations?

Large investments have been made via the UK, Italy, Switzerland, Canada and Dubai. As a bit of trivia, Col G's money managers were courted by Bernie Madoff. The fund managers declined the offer to invest. Canada was a favoured destination for North African despots. Several members of the deposed Tunisian president's family are now enjoying the good life in Canada. Cronies of the crumbling Libyan government have business investments in Canada and Italy. The US decision will force Canadian banks to act in a responsible manner since Canadian banks have a significant presence in the USA. The Swiss were out in front of this mess since they were the first to act.

How god to hear from you geriatric!

It remands me of some thing I want to say about Obama and I will paraphrase your comment apparently moderator approved, from an older thread about China,

http://www.thaivisa....l__geriatrickid!

President Obama, USA's continued imperialistic activities, its warmongering, its support of corrupt regimes , its complete disregard for the environment and its refusal to respect basic human rights jeopardize the core beliefs of a great part of the world. Therefore, I suggest Mr. President that you take your opinion and shove it deep back into your rectum from whence it came.

It was god enough for China so I guess it will do for US because we don't have any double standards here do we?B)

Tiger

Edited by EnSvenskTiger

How god to hear from you geriatric!

It remands me of some thing I want to say about Obama and I will paraphrase your comment apparently moderator approved, from an older thread about China,

http://www.thaivisa....l__geriatrickid!

President Obama, USA's continued imperialistic activities, its warmongering, its support of corrupt regimes , its complete disregard for the environment and its refusal to respect basic human rights jeopardize the core beliefs of a great part of the world. Therefore, I suggest Mr. President that you take your opinion and shove it deep back into your rectum from whence it came.

It was god enough for China so I guess it will do for US because we don't have any double standards here do we?B)

Tiger

This is what geriatrickid actually said:

Posted 2011-01-10 20:24:56

Defense Minister Liang Guanglie, China's continued industrial espionage activities, its ongoing influence peddling, its support of rogue regimes like North Korea, its complete disregard for the environment and its refusal to respect basic human rights jeopardize the core beliefs of a great part of the world. Therefore, I suggest Mr. Minister that you take your opinion and shove it deep back into your rectum from whence it came.

I did not change one word from his original statement. When did paraphrasing become legal?