What Do You You Think Of This House Plan?

hansbak

What do you think of this houseplan?

Can Thai builders build it? Will it be approved by the government?

I plan to have a colorbond roof, make the midsection shorter (no quest/study), have an additional outside kitchen and build in in stages.

You find it at: http://hgtvpro.homeplans.com/x-marks-the-spot/pid/114088883

comments appreciated!

Regards,

Hans

Don't see why any professional Thai builder can't build it, if using cheap part-time rice farmers you might have a problem getting a good job done. As for the Governemt approval - you don't need any - maybe approval from the local authority depending on where you live.

Don't see why any professional Thai builder can't build it, if using cheap part-time rice farmers you might have a problem getting a good job done. As for the Governemt approval - you don't need any - maybe approval from the local authority depending on where you live.

Yep , 100% agreed .

For the rest , this is going to be something pricey but i guess you figured that one out allready with such a size .

Hans

I think you may be setting yourself up for a major ass kicking on this house build. It is super difficult to achieve an acceptable build on house let alone with a complete western design having Thais that are predominantly used to Thai old school building. I wound up doing 35%+ of the work in my house to insure it was built properly . Our build is a mere 2000 sq.ft.layout.I think you will be going through many different crews to finish your mansion.

There are countless threads on home construction on Thaivisa. Use your search function to get enlightened to all the different ways you can get hosed on building.If you are not either a contractor or have skills & common sense I think you will be generally disappointed in the quality of build. The plans look very nice. Not trying to be a buzzkill on your plans but it will be worth your time searching out on thaivisa how to make this dream home possible. In LOS you have to assume that Murphy's law will be the standard in building. Even on the work I did I can't tell you of the level of frustration in not being able to get the western fittings to make the job sweet.

Good luck on the build!!!!!

Edit I notice that the build has quite a few peaks in the roofs.

Most complaints in the house builds are that the roof leaks. Your plan has many valley troughs & Thailand screws them into the battens & this causes leaks....Unfortunately there is NO builder her that know you don't screw the trough into the steel or it causes leaks, even c-pac does not know the right way to do it. My house only has ONE trough & I had help from a Thaivisa member that is a civil engineer form England(bless his heart)

You may want to reconsider the roof design as this was intended for thee U.S. not Thailand. I would have to agree with Trojers you may be having many indoor swimming pools with the roof design.

Beardog

Edited by Beardog

Thank you for the extensive reply.

We are currently in the fence/flandfill (0.5 meter) stage and plan to start building later this year. We have about 2-3 rai available.

Concerning the metal roof I intent to hire separate specialized company doing that job, i will also let them approve the buidling plans for the house underneath, to make sure th roof is waterproof.

Also as result of a comment in http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2450&start=0 i probably also will not buy these plans but will ask an thai architect to design a similar house for me.

I will also build the house in phases because i do not have enough cash available to do it all at once.

If anybody has a building company/architect for the building/roof to suggest, please let me know....

Thanks for your help sofar!

Regards,

hans

Concerning the metal roof I intent to hire separate specialized company doing that job, i will also let them approve the buidling plans for the house underneath, to make sure th roof is waterproof.

As I have mentioned, this house design will trap rain water. There are 6 roof valleys in it. An L-shaped layout has one valley and a U or T-shaped layout has two. Roof valleys often leak due either to poor detailing in installation, or they get clogged from accumulation of leaves and twigs.

I suggest you discuss this with the local architect you will employ. A common way to space a large single story house is to do it like villas, separate buildings that are linked by covered walkways. The roof of main buildings are higher than those of the walkways, and such a layout will also allow free flow of air between main buildings.

Where are you going to build this house?

I think a house of this design and size would be almost impossible to sell for anywhere near the cost of building it, especially if the house isn't located close to Bangkok or possibly on Phuket. Which is fine if you are building it to live in for the rest of your life and don't care what happens after that.

Sophon

Thank you 'trogers' for elaborating on your initial, rather negative post, a bit unwordy of a platinum member?

The reason why I like the design is the long outside walls and the long wide porch on the south side which allow for many windows and light. We plan to position the house east-west with the entry on the north side.

Now I understand what you mean and now sure i will discuss it with my architect.

Do not have one yet...suggestions?

Thanks again,

Hans

Edited by hansbak

I think a house of this design and size would be almost impossible to sell for anywhere near the cost of building it, especially if the house isn't located close to Bangkok or possibly on Phuket. Which is fine if you are building it to live in for the rest of your life and don't care what happens after that.

Sophon

We plan to build it on the south side of Chiang mai in the Hangdong area, in a small village outside a 'moo bahn' It could be true what you say but it sure will be a unique house and perhaps even my last house, however you never know.....

Regards,

Hans

Sophon

We plan to build it on the south side of Chiang mai in the Hangdong area, in a small village outside a 'moo bahn' It could be true what you say but it sure will be a unique house and perhaps even my last house, however you never know.....

Regards,

Hans

Agree with trogs. IF this is what you want fine. Do not plant trees anywhere near the house. Lots of windows, lots of heat, please do your homework. In LOS nobody will tell you you are wrong as long as you pay, but saying that you will have a problem getting them to build as you want. From my and other chums experiences. :)

Thank you 'trogers' for elaborating on your initial, rather negative post, a bit unwordy of a platinum member?

The reason why I like the design is the long outside walls and the long wide porch on the south side which allow for many windows and light. We plan to position the house east-west with the entry on the north side.

Now I understand what you mean and now sure i will discuss it with my architect.

Do not have one yet...suggestions?

Thanks again,

Hans

Hans on this particular forum (which is thousands of times way more advanced IMHO than coolthai) Nobody will present negativity other than trying to save your but & a whole lot of woes that most have learned through the school of hard knocks. For this build you will probably need a farang builder(which still will be Thai workers under his or her direction

& you will undoubtedly get bent over on the double + pricing. The best advice I could give you is to keep the house design as simple as you can...maybe a L plan very few valleys & like said before keep all trees cut back to avoid clogging the valleys. Honest there is only one person i have met that knows how to correctly install valley troughs up here & he isn't Thai. If it were me & money is no object I would get a competent crew from the U.S Europe or Australia & have the materials shipped in. I have built houses up here & the last one was fantastic, but it still isn't up to U.S. standards by a long shot.And the 2nd thing is as said before never put out any amount of funds up in LOS that you aren't willing to lose.The size is doable but the attention span of Thai builders is not that great. I watched several buddies from the states get reamed by thinking they were the one lucky farang. Unfortunately there is no such critter so the best you can do is to simplify your plans. Thais like building squares & rectangles & not to many changes & they hate when we get fussy & want western standards....even if its your dime.