Question

ginooooo

Got this desktop computer and guy came today and istalled a USB thingy modem with a sim card for "high speed" internet. Well, for me, super slow and just getting 460 kps. Never had to use something like this and wondering if there are different sim cards with different speeds?

if its a USB dongle thing then it can run pretty high speed if the signals available, a couple of meg or greater, its probably only available in city centres though. your probably just getting 'edge' rather than 3g. My speeds dire too.

have you looked for a fixed line to your house ? TOT , 3bb etc ?

That is what I got, Edge dongle with some kind of sim card inside. Watching any kind of video is useless. Wife's granddaughter has put a bunch of her videos on Youtube to show her baby off. Impossible to watch. I also want to get TOT as next door gets 11 meg but I assume you got installation fees and long term contract and i leave in 3 weeks and not feasable at this time. I was hoping if someone knew if there were faster speeds with a different dongle and or different sim card inside.

That is what I got, Edge dongle with some kind of sim card inside. Watching any kind of video is useless. Wife's granddaughter has put a bunch of her videos on Youtube to show her baby off. Impossible to watch. I also want to get TOT as next door gets 11 meg but I assume you got installation fees and long term contract and i leave in 3 weeks and not feasable at this time. I was hoping if someone knew if there were faster speeds with a different dongle and or different sim card inside.

I am not aware of any sim card connection that has warp speed, but in todays technological world, anything is possible I suppose if your upto date with the techno side of computing . Good luck but I think your best bet is to get the land line connection on your return or see what new gadgets are available when you are back in your home country , unless of course your from Libya :D

As I've said before some of the Dongle's are capable of higher speeds. mine says 3.5 meg with 3g.

only really possible in a city where its cost effective for them to provide the signal or if your close to a transmitter with 3g signal which is highly unlikely. outback your just getting Edge. I only just get a signal with edge.

Try a local internet Cafe

As I've said before some of the Dongle's are capable of higher speeds. mine says 3.5 meg with 3g.

only really possible in a city where its cost effective for them to provide the signal or if your close to a transmitter with 3g signal which is highly unlikely. outback your just getting Edge. I only just get a signal with edge.

Yeah, I reckon it's the signal rather than the equipment itself. Once we get over our current hurdles I'll be looking to get a line into the house. You got yours (internet in the house) via a phone line jubbs?

Edited by bifftastic

Yeah, I reckon it's the signal rather than the equipment itself. Once we get over our current hurdles I'll be looking to get a line into the house. You got yours (internet in the house) via a phone line jubbs?

I'm in the same boat gangsters.

Have an AIS aircard which is pretty slow.

I'm hoping TOT can run a line out here

to speed things up again.

Regards

Will

Did have Biff. I was getting 3 meg about 3 years ago over a phone line. took some getting, a bit of reverse Psychology with the ladies and tech support over the phone.

then they decided I could only have 1 meg because of my location. not because of any physical reason, but because someone told them so. Now they've just taken the service away without any notice. squabbling between, TOT, TT&T and 3BB.

I'm currently using a Carrier Pidgeon for communication.

What a bummer. The sim card lasted only about 10 hours and had to get some one from the computer shop to come here and call the sim card company to "pay" for more service. Mam, 500 baht only brings 30 slow loading hours. Any video is useless in watching including emal attachments. I checked in Phayao and like I figured, to get any wi fi high speed, takes a year contract. Got 2 neighbors with high speed and speeds are ok here and I am sure they are not paying for the highest speeds available. My friend in Pattaya was very fast and his Skype was perfect. Oh well, something to look forward to, I guess when I move here, fast internet which I MUST have. This dongle/sim stuff is for the birds and a waste of time and money.

What a bummer. The sim card lasted only about 10 hours and had to get some one from the computer shop to come here and call the sim card company to "pay" for more service. Mam, 500 baht only brings 30 slow loading hours. Any video is useless in watching including emal attachments. I checked in Phayao and like I figured, to get any wi fi high speed, takes a year contract. Got 2 neighbors with high speed and speeds are ok here and I am sure they are not paying for the highest speeds available. My friend in Pattaya was very fast and his Skype was perfect. Oh well, something to look forward to, I guess when I move here, fast internet which I MUST have. This dongle/sim stuff is for the birds and a waste of time and money.

Gino, here's a plan. check with a neighbour wether they have a wireless router connected to the landline.

most people do these days. allows them to use a laptop more conveniently. if they do, ask them if they will give you the passcode for the router temporarily, whilst your here. then slip them 1000 baht , and perhaps a bottle of decent (by thai standards) whiskey) which will cover there monthly bill nicely.

Its A Win, Win situation. you'll have mega speed. be able to watch all the thunderbirds series, front to back ;-)

Gino, here's a plan. check with a neighbour wether they have a wireless router connected to the landline.

most people do these days. allows them to use a laptop more conveniently. if they do, ask them if they will give you the passcode for the router temporarily, whilst your here. then slip them 1000 baht , and perhaps a bottle of decent (by thai standards) whiskey) which will cover there monthly bill nicely.

Its A Win, Win situation. you'll have mega speed. be able to watch all the thunderbirds series, front to back ;-)

Hmmmmm, my wife's cousin next door has that set up and let me borrow his laptop to use in my house 2 years ago. I will ask him if he will do that. Thanks for the idea. I just hate going to his home or asking to use his internet all the time and both he and his daughter/son use theirs a lot.

Hmmmmm, my wife's cousin next door has that set up and let me borrow his laptop to use in my house 2 years ago. I will ask him if he will do that. Thanks for the idea. I just hate going to his home or asking to use his internet all the time and both he and his daughter/son use theirs a lot.

Just did a speed test-200 kbps upload and just 59 dowload-ugh!

If I may ask-what dongle and sim card you running?

Its a Huawei from AIS with AIS Sim. it doesnt really matter though. Its the signal thats the problem. My speeds are in single figures kbps.

Did you ask the neighbour ? You'd just need a wireless dongle then, couple of hundred baht. 400 tops.

Its a Huawei from AIS with AIS Sim. it doesnt really matter though. Its the signal thats the problem. My speeds are in single figures kbps.

Did you ask the neighbour ? You'd just need a wireless dongle then, couple of hundred baht. 400 tops.

He has not been home for 3 days. He is the guy who is a cheif and makes those great Swedish meatballs, etc. This dongle I got is USB wireless but no clue if it will work with his setup. Wife's cousin owns a computer store and should be able to hook us up with a price.

He has not been home for 3 days. He is the guy who is a chef and makes those great Swedish meatballs, etc. This dongle I got is USB wireless but no clue if it will work with his setup. Wife's cousin owns a computer store and should be able to hook us up with a price.

Hi Ginoooo,

You can forget about using a '3G' dongle here in Phayao if you want an anything near decent internet connection... The infrastructure simply isn't here (and is not likely to be for some time). I can just about get 'edge' speeds through my mobile (which is 3G capable), but nothing more than that.

If you want a decent internet connection, you will need to fork out for a 'fixed' line connection. I use 3BB and have been very impressed so far - there have been the odd glitches, but (touch wood) nothing too serious, and there are various packages to choose from (depending on the speed you need and price you want to pay).

The other option is CAT telecom, but they weren't as good when I used them in our old house a couple of years ago...

Cheers,

M

Took your advice and spent 450 baht for a card with a small antenna. Live about 50 feet from his house and getting 48 mbps. Works great and thanks again!

Took your advice and spent 450 baht for a card with a small antenna. Live about 50 feet from his house and getting 48 mbps. Works great and thanks again!

Yeah , 48 mbps , that'll be the speed your wireless device is communicating with your neighbours Wireless router.

you'll be sharing his bandwidth, most likely 5 mbps or so.

Glad I could help.