Gillette Fusion

AlanL1275

I love the people ready to fight for the supremacy of a brand of razor wub.png

It's not about the brand.. if you think it is then you've completely missed the point. It's about men being brainwashed into buying these highly overpriced plastic cartridges to complete a task many men do daily.

I was one of the brainwashed up until recently. I'm the first to admit it. I thought much of this talk about DE shaving was macho man BS. Come to find out I was wrong on many levels.

No one is telling you how you should shave and with what equipment. We are just trying to enlighten you to the fact that most of us have been duped. What you do with the information is completely up to you.

• Like 2

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Men are paying over the odds for a clean shave because of a huge mark-up on razor heads.

The products sold by Gillette and other companies cost as little as 5p to make, industry insiders have revealed.

But consumers are charged up to £2.43 a piece - a mark-up of more than 4,750 per cent.

Maybe you could do some research on the profits of Nike, Adidas, Coca Cola , Pepsi and a few hundred other multi nationals and come to the constatation that they all have a similar business model.

Maybe you could. I got to do everything for you?

I don't hear anybody complaining he's been ripped off by the price of a Coke.

The difference is that these other companies have fierce competition whereas Gillette has a defacto monopoly. Their profits can't possibly approach 4,750 percent on any of their products.

Retailers put this plastic on their shelves exclusively because the markup is so huge. Consumers can't even see, let alone buy, a traditional DE razor or blades because retailer's profit will be so small. If they think they have no access to anything else, then they've got to buy Fusions etc.

Don't worry you don't need to do anything for me since I can take care of myself well.I only wanted to point out that all multinationals make rip off profits on their products.

By the way I also hear nobody,other than a few in this thread, complain about being ripped off by Gillette.

And what you are talking about Gillette's defacto monopoly.I know many other brands selling a similar product in the super markets.Shick,Wilkinson sword,Bic just to name a few and then were not talking yet about American safety razor company which in numbers is the biggest in the world,much bigger than Gillette.They produce for thousands of house brands,like Big C and Tesco for example.

And at the end Gillette also produces DE razor blades, and probably a lot every day, so they must sell them somewhere.Not?

Me myself I prefer safety razors and particullary Gillette Mach 3 , Haven't tried Fusion yet, because I don't like the cuts that can happen more easy with a DE blade.

Men are paying over the odds for a clean shave because of a huge mark-up on razor heads.

The products sold by Gillette and other companies cost as little as 5p to make, industry insiders have revealed.

But consumers are charged up to £2.43 a piece - a mark-up of more than 4,750 per cent.

Maybe you could do some research on the profits of Nike, Adidas, Coca Cola , Pepsi and a few hundred other multi nationals and come to the constatation that they all have a similar business model.

Maybe you could. I got to do everything for you?

I don't hear anybody complaining he's been ripped off by the price of a Coke.

The difference is that these other companies have fierce competition whereas Gillette has a defacto monopoly. Their profits can't possibly approach 4,750 percent on any of their products.

Retailers put this plastic on their shelves exclusively because the markup is so huge. Consumers can't even see, let alone buy, a traditional DE razor or blades because retailer's profit will be so small. If they think they have no access to anything else, then they've got to buy Fusions etc.

Don't worry you don't need to do anything for me since I can take care of myself well.I only wanted to point out that all multinationals make rip off profits on their products.

By the way I also hear nobody,other than a few in this thread, complain about being ripped off by Gillette.

And what you are talking about Gillette's defacto monopoly.I know many other brands selling a similar product in the super markets.Shick,Wilkinson sword,Bic just to name a few and then were not talking yet about American safety razor company which in numbers is the biggest in the world,much bigger than Gillette.They produce for thousands of house brands,like Big C and Tesco for example.

And at the end Gillette also produces DE razor blades, and probably a lot every day, so they must sell them somewhere.Not?

Me myself I prefer safety razors and particullary Gillette Mach 3 , Haven't tried Fusion yet, because I don't like the cuts that can happen more easy with a DE blade.

I'm a bit confused by your comments. First off, a safety razor is a DE razor. Nearly every company that makes those over prices plastic cartridge blades also make DE blades. Not sure how that effects the marketing that is pushing us to plastic carts vs the cheaper DE alternatives. And of course if they make them they must be selling them but I can tell you they are hard to find as they have little profit margin and are not pushed onto the retail market.

Also, lets be clear here.. have you even tried a DE blade for shaving? When you speak of cuts happening more easy with one vs the other are you speaking from personal experience or from the way you think it is? Not trying to be condescending but until I tried a DE blade I "thought" that they would be harder to use and more prone to cuts but that just isn't true.

A buddy of mine who is retired from the fast food industry mentioned that post-mix soda machines are a license to print money. Costs against profits.

Sent from my iPhone 3 using ThaiVisa app

Just came across this and found it interesting and relevant to the discussion here

Gillette's idea was that if he could develop a cheap and disposable razor blade that was viewed as an improvement over what was currently available, he could sell millions of them and the sales would keep on coming day after day - year after year.

The purpose of illustrating this concept is to point out that from the very beginning the disposable blade safety razor was not developed to be an honest improvement over what was available, only to "Look Like" an improvement. The safety razor had only been invented 10 years earlier and hadn't yet found its market. Gillette's real purpose was to seize market share by using clever (and often deceptive) marketing and thereby assuring a never-ending stream of sales for his products. What Gillette actually invented was the "Loss Leader" the concept of virtually giving away a product (the razor) in order to create a customer for the high profit replacement blades. Selling safety razors and blades (cartridges) has been all about profits ever since.

http://www.classicsh...590351/5693.htm

The cost-per-shave however is now reaching the point where blade cartridges are a major expense item. This fact may account for why it is currently the "most shoplifted item in the World."

That last quote was also found on that page and I decided to look a little further in the shoplifting claim to find out that indeed, razors are one of the most shoplifted items. So to say that no one is complaining about the high price of these supposedly "necessary" items is a bit off them mark. It has gone to the next level of action. Instead of sitting around complaining of the high prices folks are stealing them.

http://www.businessinsurance.org/the-9-most-shoplifted-items-in-america/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2067976/Top-shoplifted-items-revealed-stores-prepare-annual-rush.html

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

I'm a bit confused by your comments. First off, a safety razor is a DE razor. Nearly every company that makes those over prices plastic cartridge blades also make DE blades. Not sure how that effects the marketing that is pushing us to plastic carts vs the cheaper DE alternatives. And of course if they make them they must be selling them but I can tell you they are hard to find as they have little profit margin and are not pushed onto the retail market.

Also, lets be clear here.. have you even tried a DE blade for shaving? When you speak of cuts happening more easy with one vs the other are you speaking from personal experience or from the way you think it is? Not trying to be condescending but until I tried a DE blade I "thought" that they would be harder to use and more prone to cuts but that just isn't true.

That was an error from my side.I understand that the razors with disposable cartridge are safety razors as in my opinion it's almost impossible to cut yourself with them, however I still manage to have a small cut on spots or alike from time to time.

And of course I have used DE razors, and experienced big cuts, because when I started shaving myself the disposable razors still needed to be invented.

And by the way, I agree that the prices for the Fusion are rising out of the pan, but just bought a pack of 4 x Mach 3 cartridges for 268 Baht,which I think is an affordable price for the time they last and the shave quality I get from them.

Edited by JanKlaasen

Even those in these recurring Fusion threads who don't directly complain about being ripped off are desperate to find cheaper prices, which says everything. I think you can ask almost anyone who's using a Fusion or Mach 3 and they'll say the prices of blades is much too high. Complaints prompted that Brit investigation by Consumer Affairs.

Complaints are epidemic on the internet and the first thing a new market entrant like The Dollar Club does is to promise to end the rip-off.

Jayman gave some excellent evidence here: http://www.thaivisa....75#entry5631558

And what you are talking about Gillette's defacto monopoly.I know many other brands selling a similar product in the super markets.Shick,Wilkinson sword,Bic just to name a few

Defacto means not absolutely. Gillette's held 83% of the market since 2004, recently slipped to 80%. You see any Shicks or Wilkinson in Foodland? No. smile.png Even Boots, an international chain, devotes only around 10% of men's shaving shelf space to other brands, including a generic house brand. So my point stands. There's a reason Gillette could afford to give David Beckham a $54,000 diamond-encrusted razor.

But anyway I'll be happy to agree with you that the other razor companies also ripoff consumers albeit not quite as much as Gillette. W/ Gillette you're paying a lot more for the marketing as well. So, yes, that's just added reason to go for DE shaving, thank you.

This is the part of the modern Gillette company I do like. It does manufacture quality DE blades in a few factories scattered in the world, including--Thailand. Those blades turn up in less developed countries such as Eastern Europe and India, even Thailand (where they are overpriced)--and on the internet. Note that they don't manufacture any razor to use them in, however! smile.png Only quantity gives them much profit margin on DE blades.

You've had a few cuts from kitchen knives and you learned to master them. Or now do you need to put on Kevlar gloves before you pick up a kitchen knife?

It's been so many years since I've had a cut from a DE razor I can't even remember the last one. I use one of the most aggressive DE razors out there, too, a Merkur Slant. It ain't rocket science.

BTW, not everyone loves Mach 3:

As a former Mach 3 user says, "I switched away from the Mach 3 and canned gel several months ago and never want to look back. The shaves are a lot better and the better soap and creams are a pleasure to use." http://badgerandblad...460#post2263460

Another advises, "Well, if you got the time for it, give safety razors a shot. First couple of times cut my neck up(nicks more than anything), but after some practice, get a pretty sweet shave. Mach 3s would give me razor burn on my throat, sometimes even welts, but with safety razors, no hassles whatsoever." http://forum.bodybui...1#post319997711

Another: "Here is something I noticed. When I used the mach3 or fusion it seemed like although I was getting a beyond close shave, part of my face was being taken off along with the hair." http://straightrazor...html#post532974

Hope that was helpful. smile.png

I love the people ready to fight for the supremacy of a brand of razor wub.png

But what did your girlfriend/wife decide for you?

Getting away from Gillette's marketing and wetshaving w/ a traditional DE razor, and hopefully w/ a nice brush and soap/cream, is something all guys should try. I'm a convert myself and started w/ a lowly Chinese DE razor I bought for a few baht in a local Thai market. Hence I don't too much mind wasting time here and dealing w/ a deluge of nonsense to maybe get a few of our members to try it.

People who get razor burn have never been taught how to shave correctly.

If you watch many of the TV adverts closely, you can see them drag the blade against the direction of hair growth.

Here is a photo of a guy that doesn't know how to shave, this will burn your skin.

post-152992-0-55935900-1346751067_thumb.

(This photo was rather incredibly taken from an article '4 steps to a perfect shave')

and again, an advert advertising 'moisturising gel', you'll need it if you shave like this.

post-152992-0-08067300-1346751400_thumb.

How not to shave with a Gillette Fusion, he's gonna have serious razor burn.

post-152992-0-54122900-1346751855_thumb.

If your dad taught you to shave, it will always have been to shave with the direction of the hair ...... no razor burn.

And finally, this is how to shave correctly

post-152992-0-92647600-1346751548_thumb.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

If you watch many of the TV adverts closely, you can see them drag the blade against the direction of hair growth.

Here is a photo of a guy that doesn't know how to shave, this will burn your skin.

(This photo was rather incredibly taken from an article '4 steps to a perfect shave')

and again, an advert advertising 'moisturising gel', you'll need it if you shave like this.

If your dad taught you to shave, it will always have been to shave with the direction of the hair ...... no razor burn.

It doesn't matter how I shave. When I use the Mach 3 it's perfect every time with never a cut or burn. And it takes about 45 seconds of my day in my morning shower. I would be happy to pay twice as much!

I would be willing to bet 1000 baht that most of the people that hate the Mach 3 and the Fusion also hate Starbucks.

Not hate, more irrelevant to my lifestyle.

I prefer to pay 30-35bht for my fancy coffee in an establishment with a bit of character and individuality.

And yes, that includes free wifi and air-con if I want to sit inside.

Shaving against the grain is part of how I shave, Not sure I could get a good shave just shaving with the grain. I go with the grain, across the grain, then against the grain. I have no razor burn issues. I use a DE.

Shaving against the grain is part of how I shave, Not sure I could get a good shave just shaving with the grain. I go with the grain, across the grain, then against the grain. I have no razor burn issues. I use a DE.

That just means your skin has the texture of cured leather.

Us folk with sensitive skin can only avoid razor burn by shaving with the grain.

Give it a go, bet your shave is just as close.

That just means your skin has the texture of cured leather.

Us folk with sensitive skin can only avoid razor burn by shaving with the grain.

Give it a go, bet your shave is just as close.

I have always considered my skin sensitive. I always thought razor burn was the result of too much pressure while shaving. Most of the shaving blogs will mention shaving against and across the grain. I think this is quite common really. If you are having problems with razor burn then perhaps a lighter touch is the answer.

• Like 1

I would be willing to bet 1000 baht that most of the people that hate the Mach 3 and the Fusion also hate Starbucks.

Not at all. I'm not in love with Starbucks but I like to go there sometimes. I've been one of Starbuck's greatest defenders on the silly recurring HATE STARBUCKS threads here on TV. (Look 'em up.)

I don't think the two markets are much related but will comment that a DE shaver who appreciates the traditional men's shaving ritual w/o plastic and cans of foam probably has an appreciation for the other finer things in life as well. (Whether Starbucks is one of those is a topic of controversy, but to me Starbucks is pretty nice.) Hence the large forums devoted to the subject also contain subforums on men's clothing and accessories, the outdoors, beverages, tobacco, etc.

it takes about 45 seconds of my day in my morning shower.

Taking a bit more time to do something can be enjoyable. Consider sex.

You'd think our TV posters are corporate lawyers making $1000 by the hour and can't spare, say, 10 minutes, though they have time to read and post here.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Realize that this is an old thread, but I contacted Gillette in Singapore and they told me that Gillette Thailand has plans to bring the Fusion ProGlide here, even added a short video about on their FB page. Hopefully will happen soon cause like other will need a refill soon!!

Edited by arkom

Realize that this is an old thread, but I contacted Gillette in Singapore and they told me that Gillette Thailand has plans to bring the Fusion ProGlide here, even added a short video about on their FB page. Hopefully will happen soon cause like other will need a refill soon!!

That sounds promising as I am down to my last 3 or 4 months worth of blades.

On the other hand I will believe it when I see it.

How many bladez does that stupid thing have?

Still using by Trac2.

If five blades, why not 8? cheesy.gif

Yes, hate Starbucks coincidence, no. I think they are similar sorts of items and I can see someone who spends b200 on a blade pay b200 on a sugary milk coffee. Both are for Nancy boys.

Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 1

http://www.theonion.com/articles/<deleted>-everything-were-doing-five-blades,11056/

<deleted> Everything, We're Doing Five Blades

COMMENTARY • Opinion • Business • ISSUE 40•07 • Feb 18, 2004

By James M. Kilts, CEO And President, <Br>The Gillette Company

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

I love my Mach 3, hate the Fusion razor and hate Starbucks. I do love the Fusion shave gel, however. Where can I collect the 1,000 baht?

I think ever face is different and some razors suit some faces better than others. I was really looking forward to the Fusion razor when it first came out, but equally disappointed when I used it.

I love my Mach 3, hate the Fusion razor and hate Starbucks. I do love the Fusion shave gel, however. Where can I collect the 1,000 baht?

I think ever face is different and some razors suit some faces better than others. I was really looking forward to the Fusion razor when it first came out, but equally disappointed when I used it.

i changed to the Fusion in Enn Zed 4 years ago and Prefer it to the one I had before, a Gilette Contour but I will need som more fusion blades by March.

Ive lived in Thailand so I know how difficult it is to get decent razors/blades. To make the blades last longer invest in a 'Razorpit', I was sceptical until I tried it but it really does hone them well, even a knackered blade comes up like new. I suppose it works on the same principal as a barber's leather strop, it cleans off all the old hair, skin and shaving cream and brings the edge back. I did read a report that it goes right down to the atom side of things, with use the atoms of the steel get moved back, dulling the blade, but using a strop (or Razorpit) moves the atoms back to where they should be. How true that is I have no idea, way above my paygrade, but thats what it said.

I paid £11 (a little bit over 500bt) for my razorpit, including P&P, but thats here in the UK.

Ive lived in Thailand so I know how difficult it is to get decent razors/blades. To make the blades last longer invest in a 'Razorpit', I was sceptical until I tried it but it really does hone them well, even a knackered blade comes up like new. I suppose it works on the same principal as a barber's leather strop, it cleans off all the old hair, skin and shaving cream and brings the edge back. I did read a report that it goes right down to the atom side of things, with use the atoms of the steel get moved back, dulling the blade, but using a strop (or Razorpit) moves the atoms back to where they should be. How true that is I have no idea, way above my paygrade, but thats what it said.

I paid £11 (a little bit over 500bt) for my razorpit, including P&P, but thats here in the UK.

We had a similar device being sold in the US for around the same price. I bought one as the tv ads seemed convincing. What I got was a piece garbage that went nearly straight in the bin.

You really only just need 1 blade to shave. DE safety blades are cheap as dirt. Now that I've switched to them I can't imagine using anything else. The shave I get is amazing and leaves my face feeling good. Really not sure how we got sold on these completely over priced multi blade cartridges to begin with.

• Like 1

I have changed to SHICK extreme 3. excellent razor and a lot cheaper than the Gillette Mach 3 (i was using).

i got them in Tesco Lotus.

If you like Schick--hey, go for the Schick Krona, man.

3624057620_d315942032.jpg

Wonderful! Get one on ebay. DE blades are SO cheap.

I use a Gillette Proglide fusion razor, best shave Ive ever had. The problem is they cost at least £2 each (100bt), and dont last that long. I personally would never go back to 3 blade razors, let alone single blade, no matter what the brand. No 2 chins are the same, what works for me might not work for someone else, I prefer 5 blades and the razorpit extends the life of them for me.