What'S Wrong With Thailand ?

Semper

I'm talking about all the steel bars people put inside their windows of their houses. I've never seen this in my old country. :blink:

Not to mention the spikes, broken bottles, etc. on the walls surrounding the houses. <deleted>.

Edited by Semper

It's security. Don't think this place is tender.

You'll see many things here you never saw in your old country. It's the fun of living outside your comfort zone.

Edited by mstribling

You need to get out more. Steel bars are a necessity in just about all developing countries for home construction. The glass and razor wire has come into play in the metro areas over the past few years. Time does change.:whistling:

I have lived in few countries in Africa and it is quite common there as well to have broken glasses on the flat top of the wall to discourage thieves from jumping into your house. Also, when we drive, we don't let our hands out of the window unless you want your watch snatched from you. The grills on the window are also meant to discourage break-ins but mine was not successful because the thieves used a car jack to widen them and enter (I shot them). I am just lucky that I had no fire situation since all exists are blocked with either a grill or a thick iron door, locked three times. It is an awful choice: die from smoke inhalation or get your family hurt/killed/rapped by gangsters who have nothing to lose. Soon, I had enough of it and left the continent for good.

Thailand is much richer than many countries in Africa but it is still developing and I imagine the poverty also makes people desperate to steal to survive or pay for drugs. In Africa, due to corruption and break down of laws, thieves caught stealing are usually burnt alive (given a necklace - a burning tyre on their neck) or beaten to death as a warning to others. This has not stopped them from stealing of course. I am glad, at least in Thailand, the level of poverty is not as low as in Africa and I can go about in relative safety in most corners of the country as a tourist. I am also happy not to see any "street justice" done to the suspects.

If it wasn't for the strict fire codes being enforced, i imagine many people in New York or London would have done the same to protect themselves and their families. It is also wonderful feeling to know that you can depend on the operator to send you help whenever you need it. Sadly, I have had more break-ins as a university student in Boston than I had in Africa. I didn't know that my huge apartment complex was also partly used to subsidize welfare recipients and with that, came the pimps, the drugs, and prostitution to my door step.

Max2010

There is a whole list of things wrong with Thailand. They are balanced by a whole list of things that are RIGHT with Thailand. Accept the differences and enjoy what Thailand has to offer. People in Europe and North America tend to get molly-coddled into a protectionist world and don't know what to do if they aren't told. I've actually had Americans ask me how to cross the road when there is a steady flow of traffic!

Some of us enjoy a bit of adventure that you don't get in the NEW world. We enjoy having to make do and taking care of our own needs. We don't LIKE being "mothered" all the time. ... "Time to come in for supper now son. Don't forget to wash your hands after going to the toilet. And, please brush your teeth after supper. Time for nighty night now and turn out the light. " Etc, etc, etc.

There is a whole list of things wrong with Thailand. They are balanced by a whole list of things that are RIGHT with Thailand. Accept the differences and enjoy what Thailand has to offer. People in Europe and North America tend to get molly-coddled into a protectionist world and don't know what to do if they aren't told. I've actually had Americans ask me how to cross the road when there is a steady flow of traffic!

Some of us enjoy a bit of adventure that you don't get in the NEW world. We enjoy having to make do and taking care of our own needs. We don't LIKE being "mothered" all the time. ... "Time to come in for supper now son. Don't forget to wash your hands after going to the toilet. And, please brush your teeth after supper. Time for nighty night now and turn out the light. " Etc, etc, etc.

Agree to a certain extent!

It takes a few year for us to realise that the good outweighs the bad, or at least for some of us - those that don't feel this way leave after a couple of years.

Personally, I really HATE people not washing their hands after going to the toilet!

Right now I don't like all the little termites that are crawling up my legs and flying around my apartment. They don't bite, but they are a nuisance. Fortunately, they only come out about this time and it only lasts for an hour or so. :rolleyes:

Agree to a certain extent!

It takes a few year for us to realise that the good outweighs the bad, or at least for some of us - those that don't feel this way leave after a couple of years.

Personally, I really HATE people not washing their hands after going to the toilet!

Agreed. Especially the food workers.

If you use broken glass on your wall and someone is injured you can be held responsible in some places

riiiiiight... well, I guess that would be unlikely in Thailand (assuming the glass is at the top of a 2.5m wall).

I read somewhere that a houseowner (in whatever pussy western country) was held responsible for the injuries suffered by a burglar who was injured by a trap installed by the houseowner...

that's just revolting. the judge should be shot.

Edited by manarak

It's because lack of Police if you have a problem, your land you can phone a cop, here .......:lol:.

Also it deters the passing crook a little.

Thats why i got my self a pittbull ..and for some funny reason he dont mind other falangs calling around rolleyes.gif

but if he see a thai man he goes bananas . so they tend to stay well away from my place.rolleyes.gif

Edited by welsh1

It's because lack of Police if you have a problem, your land you can phone a cop, here .......:lol:.

Thats why i got my self a pittbull ..and for some funny reason he dont mind other falangs calling around rolleyes.gif

but if he see a thai man he goes bananas . so they tend to stay well away from my place.rolleyes.gif

You're in Thailand, and you try to keep the Thais away? Something very odd going on here.

You're in Thailand, and you try to keep the Thais away? Something very odd going on here.

Yes i live in Thailand ..Why is so odd that i want to keep local Thai men riff raff away from home ??

Right now I don't like all the little termites that are crawling up my legs and flying around my apartment. They don't bite, but they are a nuisance. Fortunately, they only come out about this time and it only lasts for an hour or so. :rolleyes:

You should get a proper treatment on your legs, or the termites will destroy the timbers completely.

A thick coat of creosote every couple of years might do the trick.

SC

EDIT: damaged quotes repaired

Edited by StreetCowboy

Yes i live in Thailand ..Why is so odd that i want to keep local Thai men riff raff away from home ??

Riff raff? You just said 'Thai man'... unless you think all Thai men are riff raff... in which case my question stands.

I not say all Thai men are riff Raff ..just a figure of speech

I know many thai men who are sound as a pound..and have spend many times drinking in there company

If you live in issan then take a good look around your village in issan and honestly tell me there are no riff raff around rolleyes.gif

If you are just trying to wind me up ..Then i suggest you jogg on

Edited by welsh1

I have lived in few countries in Africa and it is quite common there as well to have broken glasses on the flat top of the wall to discourage thieves from jumping into your house. Also, when we drive, we don't let our hands out of the window unless you want your watch snatched from you. The grills on the window are also meant to discourage break-ins but mine was not successful because the thieves used a car jack to widen them and enter (I shot them). I am just lucky that I had no fire situation since all exists are blocked with either a grill or a thick iron door, locked three times. It is an awful choice: die from smoke inhalation or get your family hurt/killed/rapped by gangsters who have nothing to lose. Soon, I had enough of it and left the continent for good.

Thailand is much richer than many countries in Africa but it is still developing and I imagine the poverty also makes people desperate to steal to survive or pay for drugs. In Africa, due to corruption and break down of laws, thieves caught stealing are usually burnt alive (given a necklace - a burning tyre on their neck) or beaten to death as a warning to others. This has not stopped them from stealing of course. I am glad, at least in Thailand, the level of poverty is not as low as in Africa and I can go about in relative safety in most corners of the country as a tourist. I am also happy not to see any "street justice" done to the suspects.

If it wasn't for the strict fire codes being enforced, i imagine many people in New York or London would have done the same to protect themselves and their families. It is also wonderful feeling to know that you can depend on the operator to send you help whenever you need it. Sadly, I have had more break-ins as a university student in Boston than I had in Africa. I didn't know that my huge apartment complex was also partly used to subsidize welfare recipients and with that, came the pimps, the drugs, and prostitution to my door step.

Max2010

So where exactly in Africa did you live where this happens? I'd like to avoid it, if I can ...

Amazing, they steal the watch from your arm if your hand is out the window of the car; they must run really really fast ph34r.gif

They jump from the wall into your house? Amazing. I saw a movie about that once; but that was made in France. Guys jumping walls and stairs etc; they got a name for that that I don't recall now.

So do the lions really roam the streets and eat the locals? Must be scary ... good thing you hauled a$$ outta there ... whistling.gif

Are you talking about going to Loi Kroh :rolleyes:

My sister has an electric fence running around the top of her 10' wall in South Africa. Once over that, you've got the dogs to contend with, the steel burglar bars and there's also an alarm. :o

She's not been broken into yet!

(In South Africa btw)

My sister has an electric fence running around the top of her 10' wall in South Africa. Once over that, you've got the dogs to contend with, the steel burglar bars and there's also an alarm. :o

(In South Africa btw)

Is she happy with this arrangement

Edited by Semper

(In South Africa btw)

Native born, white South Africans tend to be a tough and resourceful lot, and they deal with things on a daily basis that would scare the bejeysuz out of most Europeans and North Americans. Deadly snakes and large beasts that can kill you are an every day occurance. And, of course, there are the black Africans that look at every white person as a source to plunder. Africa is no country for the weak, but it has a LIFE about it like nowhere else in the world..

(In South Africa btw)

Native born, white South Africans tend to be a tough and resourceful lot, and they deal with things on a daily basis that would scare the bejeysuz out of most Europeans and North Americans. Deadly snakes and large beasts that can kill you are an every day occurance. And, of course, there are the black Africans that look at every white person as a source to plunder. Africa is no country for the weak, but it has a LIFE about it like nowhere else in the world..

Deadly snakes and large beats ... source of plunder ... laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

(Is that why English guys take their new brides there to have killed cause its just a jungle there?)

Fark me sideways Mr Forbes; what are you smoking? Where can I get some? blink.gif

This forum is nogal baie entertaining ...

(In South Africa btw)

Not to hijack the thread, but I agree. I work about 6 months a year in lovely places like Nigeria, Ghana, Uganda, and Tanzania.

Thailand is child's play.

Gather your hardiness men!

(In South Africa btw)

Not to hijack the thread, but I agree. I work about 6 months a year in lovely places like Nigeria, Ghana, Uganda, and Tanzania.

Thailand is child's play.

Gather your hardiness men!

OK. So we are agreed that one of the things that is wrong with Thailand is that it is relatively safe, and compared to many other countries, property rights are respected and it is possible to accrue physical possessions.

I'd also like to see the introduction of rugby league,..

SC

Ian...Ian have we been watching "Out of Africa" again !!.....the only large beasts running around the major cities in South Africa are in the zoo's....:lol: .....I will however agree with you that living in certain South Africa cities you do need to be tough and very resourceful...and you will find that in those places a large number of the population have Mr Glock or Mr Smith & Wesson accompanying them everywhere they go...:rolleyes:

Certainly in cities like Johannesburg you have to get used to living with a "siege" type mentality....ie razor wire on the walls, alarm systems, dogs in the garden, gun in the pocket..etc