Visa Expires

I am leaving Thailand on a retirement visa with an exit re-entry but my visa expires during my absence.

I cannot renew my visa before I leave as it is just over the thirty day requirement.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to renew the visa on return?

Yes I think it's would be likely that most immigration offices will let you get your extension a little early if you have travel proof. At Jomtien, two months early with no excuse is the policy. If for some reason they say no, then, yes you must start all over.

I must totally disagree with the ‘start over’ answer offered to the O/P. :whistling:

I recently accompanied yet another acquaintance to Changwattana to secure a new yearly extension of stay based on retirement. He was in a similar situation as the O/P; leaving the country for several months and his current extension of stay would expire BEFORE he returned. We went to Changwattana when he still had 2 1/2 months left on his current extension.

Even though I told him TWICE, not to forget to bring his confirmation of travel from the airlines, he forgot it :( . The first Immigrations officer refused flat out because he couldn’t prove he was actually leaving the country. She told him to go home get the confirmation and come back. It was only when I walked over to the higher level officer (the one who initials your stamps when you're done), as I know her, and asked if there was any way she could help. She relented and did let the guy get his yearly extension without proof of travel.

She did say; if I do this with acquaintances again make sure to bring an airline ticket or confirmation of travel out of the country. With proper documentation, there is no problem renewing an extension of stay early. You just prove you’re gonna be gone when your current extension expires and they’ll issue the next one early.

Also no days are lost as they just tack a year onto the current extension’s expiration date.

Standard forms and copies that your immigrations office wants, AND the confirmation of travel outta the country is about all it takes. Oh, and 1900baht too. ..

I would also imagine that IF you secure your extension of stay early, it might behoove you to also purchase a new re-entry permit, as the old one is tied to the expiration date of the old extension of stay.

I must totally disagree with the ‘start over’ answer offered to the O/P. :whistling:

I don't know exactly who it is you are disagreeing with, but everyone has basically said the same thing; the OP will most likely be able to extend early, but in the unlikely event that this is not allowed, then yes he will have to start over.

Sophon

I don't know exactly who it is you are disagreeing with <SNIP>

Sophon

I was actually disagreeing with part of the the second post in this thread. This one;

Start over is the answer.

I have accompanied 10 or 15 acquaintances out to Changwattana and secured new yearly extensions of stay early based on the fact they will be out of the country when their current extension expires. It is neither fraught with peril or out of the ordinary to the Immigrations officials.

While starting over is certainly an option, it'd be at the bottom of my list 'o choices. Given the situation I doubt the O/P will have a problem extending early, especially with proof of being outta the country when his extension expires. He's got NOTHING to lose but time by trying to extend his stay before he leaves.

I do hope the O/P lets us know if he did secure his extension prior to his leaving, as my experience is ONLY with Changwattana.

Edited by tod-daniels

I don't know exactly who it is you are disagreeing with <SNIP>

Sophon

I was actually disagreeing with part of the the second post in this thread. This one;

Start over is the answer.

I have accompanied 10 or 15 acquaintances out to Changwattana and secured new yearly extensions of stay early based on the fact they will be out of the country when their current extension expires. It is neither fraught with peril or out of the ordinary to the Immigrations officials.

While starting over is certainly an option, it'd be at the bottom of my list 'o choices. Given the situation I doubt the O/P will have a problem extending early, especially with proof of being outta the country when his extension expires. He's got NOTHING to lose but time by trying to extend his stay before he leaves.

I do hope the O/P lets us know if he did secure his extension prior to his leaving, as my experience is ONLY with Changwattana.

The full quote was as below so your disagreement seems to have been unfounded.

"Start over is the answer. Most immig. offices will allow you to extend prior too the 30 day normal limit by showing airline tickets ect."