Nicest Condo Building In Chiang Mai?

TheBigPenguin

IS having a shop in the building or nearby really all that important? Moobans usually have a ma and pa shop or two as well anyway.

I'd say it is. A nearby 7-11 is just like having a really big fridge with an automatic re-stocking service. ;) So that's one more reason not to live completely in the middle of nowhere. Of course many moo bans will have mom & pop store somewhere, or a 7-11 very close by. Admittedly not elevator distance, but easy bicycle distance.

You just have to learn to shop differently than hand-to-mouth.

I think hunter-gathering is in our genes. The 7-11 model fits that very well. (The gathering part)

My biggest beef with condo life is that you can't cook unless you have a very large unit that supports that. Otherwise you are left with a hotplate and almost no counter space for prepping, drying etc.

Yes. I'd say that's the biggest drawback, along with not having outside leisure space. (Except if the condo comes with a usable balcony, but that's not too common unless at the higher end.) Or just 'space' in general; even the cheapest house still comes with two good sized bedrooms and a sizable kitchen.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was in Furama today looked at two studios. One 45 meters and the other 75 meters cost long term rental all in plus two bottles of water a day and cleaning up to 4 times a week was 20,000 and 26,000 baht a month.

Did not look at the Suite's One bedroom30,000 baht two bedroom37,000 baht and one called Furama suite for 51,000 baht.

Did not ask if they sold them but I sure liked what I saw. Plus the building had a barbique restaurant and swimming pool on the roof. In addition to another pool and gym.

I lived in the Furama suite for 8 months and got it for 48,000 a month, they will definitely negotiate on the price if you plan on staying long term ( I probably could have got it for less but I'm terrible it haggling). The room was great, although I had the top floor which hadn't been re-furbed yet so it was kind of old fashioned inside. But as far as living there goes it was amazing. Maid service, internet and electricity free, daily fresh water put into the fridge, 24 hour room service (steaks and 100 pipers at 4am tongue.png ), 1 floor below the rooftop restaurant and bar, 2 swimming pools, gym, great customer service in general and great location, etc etc..

Was in Furama today looked at two studios. One 45 meters and the other 75 meters cost long term rental all in plus two bottles of water a day and cleaning up to 4 times a week was 20,000 and 26,000 baht a month.

Did not look at the Suite's One bedroom30,000 baht two bedroom37,000 baht and one called Furama suite for 51,000 baht.

Did not ask if they sold them but I sure liked what I saw. Plus the building had a barbique restaurant and swimming pool on the roof. In addition to another pool and gym.

I lived in the Furama suite for 8 months and got it for 48,000 a month, they will definitely negotiate on the price if you plan on staying long term ( I probably could have got it for less but I'm terrible it haggling). The room was great, although I had the top floor which hadn't been re-furbed yet so it was kind of old fashioned inside. But as far as living there goes it was amazing. Maid service, internet and electricity free, daily fresh water put into the fridge, 24 hour room service (steaks and 100 pipers at 4am tongue.png ), 1 floor below the rooftop restaurant and bar, 2 swimming pools, gym, great customer service in general and great location, etc etc..

Do you know if they sell units. I neglected to ask. Duh

Well, condo living has many benifits as well. If something breaks down in regards to services, you do not have to call anyone as management should be getting it fixed. There are usually common facilties like pool, sauna, garden ect. that the unit owner does not have to maintain themselfs. Many have restaurants in the building or near buy.

All of these apply to regular houses in a commercial development just the same. Security may on average be a bit better, just by virtue of having more limited points of access to the area.

The bigger difference is that everyone I know who lives in a moo baan, when they want to go to the pool, the gym, the restaurant, the noodle shop, 7/11, the mom and pop grocery, etc, they get in the car. If you live in a condo you get there by elevator.

Although I agree for some of the condos here in CM (maybe hillsides 2,3, Punna, City View and a few others), many are off the beaten path - although no where near as bad as the moobans. The condos are usually in walking distance at least and/or have their own shops in the building.

There was a thread less than a year ago listing many of the condos in CM (at that time -- there are more now). There are probably 20 condos in CM where all of the above is within an elevator ride and a 100 meter walk.

As for the posters who mentioned the lack of a kitchen, when I last lived in condos 5 years ago, I had no problem finding many, in all sizes including studios, with a full kitchen.

Do you know if they sell units. I neglected to ask. Duh

Sorry, missed this. I never asked either to be honest, but I'd guess at no as I never saw any sort of advertising for the sale of untis