Nicest Condo Building In Chiang Mai?

TheBigPenguin

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mrs_Millwall_Fan and I had a couple of very happy years in the Nakorn Ping condo opposite Kad Suan Kaew. As to the best: well thats very subjective as there are so many considerations to take into account. A couple of the swankier addresses are Rimping condo, on the river opposite Kad Luang (Warorot Market) and Flora (not far from the Riverside and Good view restaurants) Riverside condo in Nong hoi also has a lot of supporters in the expat community. A couple of things to bear in mind: Location - as always of course a key issue. Is yours near the centre of town? Do tuk-tuks pass regularly?- Even if you have a car you may not want to use it every time you go out in the evening with parking issues etc. Also, particularly relevant to Thailand- what restrictions do they place on noise? Thais are always building up and knocking things down. Nakorn Ping condo for example bans any building work outside of the hours 9-5 and there is no 'drilling and pounding' before 11am. and its enforced. Ask other foreigners at the block you choose. I'm sure lots of other TV members will be able to add to this. Good luck finding a place!!!

• Like 1

<br />Mountain front is only 7 units per floor, and 7 floors, with yep, mountain views. Its also a new building, so you will not have issues like all the others that were mentioned.  Many of which I would consider 2 star buildings, old and falling apart.  JMO<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The flora, rimping, riverside are ok. I wouldn't call them swanky by any means. 2 star as Vibe stated. Mountain front is by far the most impressive place of all the condos I have seen. Every aspect of it is swanky. Rimping and riverside have some good units but the buildings overall seem ran down and in desperate need of renovation.

You have indicated that price is not of importance, so i suggest you invest some of that money and get yourself to Chiang Mai and look at various areas and properties that are available.

Chiang Mai isn't such a big city and you could cover most of the better condo buildings within 3 or 4 days.

Good luck

Howard

You have indicated that price is not of importance, so i suggest you invest some of that money and get yourself to Chiang Mai and look at various areas and properties that are available.

Chiang Mai isn't such a big city and you could cover most of the better condo buildings within 3 or 4 days.

Good luck

Howard

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm in Chiang Mai currently and will do just as you suggest. I'm in no hurry to do this, as I'll only be here 3 months this year, but I plan on coming back repeatedly, and its nice to have a place that's yours, where you can store your stuff. And that has private internet :).

I was thinking this might be a good place to start, as obviously many of the buildings do look in desperate need for repair.

Also, my idea of 'best' is whichever building would sell for the most money per square foot not including location.

Another thing about Mountain Front, their staff is amazing. We had an issue with our air con and within minutes maintenance was there working on it. We had a couple of other small issues in the beginning and all issues were addressed very quickly. They also gave us a few free rides into town when we first moved in and were without our scooter. The guy who runs the place is Indian and he pays close attention to detail. He also runs the Convention condo which is a bit cheaper but still quite nice. I believe they are also building a new condo next to the convention center being built off of canal, not sure what the name of it is off the top of my head.

Good luck

Howard

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm in Chiang Mai currently and will do just as you suggest. I'm in no hurry to do this, as I'll only be here 3 months this year, but I plan on coming back repeatedly, and its nice to have a place that's yours, where you can store your stuff. And that has private internet :).

I was thinking this might be a good place to start, as obviously many of the buildings do look in desperate need for repair.

Also, my idea of 'best' is whichever building would sell for the most money per square foot not including location.

If you care ot pop in to The Olde Bell on Loi Kroh Rd, over the weekend, me or one of the regulars would be happy ot chat to you about condos - or any other subject you are interested in!

During the rainy season in 2006 the Ping River flooded big time, and at least one of the expensive condo buildings next to the river was made temporarily uninhabitable when it lost electricity and water. At least that's what the couple who had to temporarily move to Hillside 4 told me. This was the year when they were sandbagging on Chang Klan road, so travel in the river area was a problem. If it happened before it will probably happen again. I'm sure I'll get some angry responses to this, but I wouldn't buy anything close to the Ping River.

Also, mountain views means the west side of the building, which catches the very hot afternoon sun. Of course if money is no object I guess running the air conditioning on high isn't a problem.

I don't know how you ensure a condo building is well constructed after the fact. I live in a twenty year old building with wiring that looks like something from the early twentieth century. And there is an expensive new condo nearby, just finished two years ago, that already has numerous cracks on the outer walls. This is probably just be a cosmetic problem with the exterior finishing, but it makes me wonder if corners were cut in other areas during construction.

In my opinion Floral (not Flora) is the best maintained, best landscaped and best secured condo in Chiang Mai. Nakorn Ping and Rimping are comparatively dumps. The location of both may be better but that's it. They are VERY poorly maintained. The pool, tennis courts and work out facilities at Floral are very good. The units and hallways are strictly maintained and the management is good. A high percentage of the tenants are Japanese as their companies have chosen it as the best place for them to live. The units are expensive...especially the penthouse units. The grounds are impeccable and the front lawn is beautiful. Check it out for yourself. It is over 10 years old but in very good shape and yes it is the tallest building in Chiang Mai.

The best building in terms of "construction quality" is Mountain Front. Unfortunately it will be completely surrounded by third class construction and whatever is mountain view now, will be views onto a crappy higher building in the near future. The road- infrastructure will not be sufficient with the quantity of developments nearby. Nevertheless, whatever you look on, there will be downsides.

Look first for the area you want to live in. Near Night Bazaar? Near Nimmanhemin? Canal Road? Then look at all buildings, check at traffic noise, try to evaluate the noise at each time of the day (Night Bazar is city centre and noisy all day, Nimmanhemin is noisy all night and packed with traffic plus noise from aircraft traffic, Canal Road has a lot of individual homes with dogs, Karaoke machines and bars with life music which will keep you awake all night)

Whereever you buy: make sure to rent one of the condos for a month or so, talk to neighbors, the administration and then buy if you are still convinced. You will be surprised about the problems that come up and you never imagined they existed...

Good luck

Howard

If you care ot pop in to The Olde Bell on Loi Kroh Rd, over the weekend, me or one of the regulars would be happy ot chat to you about condos - or any other subject you are interested in!

mmmm. old bell advertising

"come to my bar someone will chat to you about ANYTHING YOU are interested in".

As long as you dont ask about the quiz or Hm flag

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy

I have a friend with a corner penthouse in Convention he will be putting on the market soon as he wants to buy a house/land.

Great views, great location, good management and about as convenient as you can get. I thinks its over 100msq, decked out New York Loft style.

Dunno what it'd be worth.

Floral condominiums is considered one of the best buildings in CM. It's also the highest.

And it's stuck right in the middle of traditional Wat Ket area. mad.gif

It seems that no area in Chiang Mai will escape these towering monstrosities.sad.gif

I know most of the condos in town - you say 'nice' and it all depends whether to you 'nice' means 'new'. A good measure is how much farang ownership there is - if it's high 40%+ you know that it is popular and there is a reason why farangs like it. Try skybreeze condo or hillside four?

Hillside 4 - sure doesnt meet my definition of 'nice'. Maybe your dictionary is different to mine..:rolleyes:

I never been in a building that lacks any soul like Hillside 4. I could not wait to

get out after 15 minutes :bah:

Hillside 4 - sure doesnt meet my definition of 'nice'. Maybe your dictionary is different to mine..:rolleyes:

I never been in a building that lacks any soul like Hillside 4. I could not wait to

get out after 15 minutes :bah:

Luckily many do not agree - it is very popular and recently was full - great location too.

Why no mention of the Punna off Nimmanheimin?

Perhaps not too many TV members live there. Anyone ever checked them out?

Punna is over-priced and noisy (next to Prasterland)

NOISE!! But good quality in regards to the building.....

Everyone who bought at the Punna knew about the noise, and I guess just didn't care. In ten years time, Prasertland will be developed and half the noise will be gone. Maybe it will be a good investment then.

Everyone who bought at the Punna knew about the noise, and I guess just didn't care. In ten years time, Prasertland will be developed and half the noise will be gone. Maybe it will be a good investment then.

or maybe it wont !! After all the views are blocked out !! And the traffic is 10 times worse than it already is..Or perhaps Prasert will be developed into a hotel with a large beer garden and late nite disco !!

that isn't exactly accurate from what I heard the 'noise' was 'reduced' during the selling period to be 'helpful'

I thought that Floral, which is discussed here, was priced higher than Punna.

Why no mention of the Punna off Nimmanheimin?

Perhaps not too many TV members live there. Anyone ever checked them out?

Punna is over-priced and noisy (next to Prasterland)

What is Prasertland?

Large block of land where they hold noisy concerts - very, very noisy - they sometimes put fun fairs there

I see. There's a lot of open land around there; do they use a particular plot for these concerts etc., or can it be anywhere around there?

What is Prasertland?

Large block of land where they hold noisy concerts - very, very noisy - they sometimes put fun fairs there

I see. There's a lot of open land around there; do they use a particular plot for these concerts etc., or can it be anywhere around there?

It's a particular piece where they hold the 'Chang Food festivals' and many other concerts - near Nimman off the canal road - off one of the soi's leading to Nimman (same soi as Punna Condo)