Do You Think The Russification Of Pattaya Is A Good Thing Or Not?

Jingthing

русификация rusifikátsiya  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think some russian parents who have very young daughters do not dress them appropriately

some girls way to young wearing skimpy outfits is wrong.If you are the legal age then fine but i am talking about kids here

it is not nice

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I experienced a Japanese invasion on the Gold Coast of Australia in the mid - 80's to early 90's. They were coming in huge numbers which spawned the opening of dozens of Japanese restaurants. Japanese language schools opened up all over the place. The Japanese were spending countless millions buying up real estate. They built golf courses, hotels and tourist attractions. Their real estate purchases were so high that the government had to introduce a national land register to keep tabs on how much of Australia was owned by Japanese - and changed the regulations too.

We were lucky (unlucky for people in the real estate business) in that the Japanese economy hit hard times and they pulled out, often selling their interests at huge losses. That is now a distant memory.

We are seeing something similar in Pattaya. I believe most of the Russians we see here are package tourists who won't influence the general expat population or their requirements too much. We don't really see them at Foodland and other speciality supermarkets much. Russian residents are only here to service the Russian tourist boom.

You never know. Russians may lose their appetite for Pattaya as they become more travelled and sophisticated. The Japanese have. They used to be the most naive of travellers a few decades ago but now they've become wiser.

Surely the Russians go home and tell their friends how filthy and unsightly the beaches are here... after all, the beach experience is one of their main reasons they come here. Surely they are not totally blind.

Edited by tropo

j t ..

re .. The trouble is the Russian influence is showing signs of becoming dominant

your right ! i first noticed it in may 09 and again when a was there for a few weeks

last april

the increase in the amount of russian signs , notices etc in two years from naklua to jomtien was amazing

dave2

post-42592-0-54184100-1335234218_thumb.j

post-42592-0-44254000-1335234260_thumb.j

post-42592-0-74607200-1335234305_thumb.j

post-42592-0-47743600-1335234370_thumb.j

j t ..

re .. The trouble is the Russian influence is showing signs of becoming dominant

your right ! i first noticed it in may 09 and again when a was there for a few weeks

last april

the increase in the amount of russian signs , notices etc in two years from naklua to jomtien was amazing

dave2

Can't see any Russian language in your seafood pic? or is it so blindingly obvious i missed it??

I wonder back in the 70's or 80's if someone was asking if 'Westernizing' (OR..Germanizing, Britishizing, or Americanizing) of Pattaya was a good thing or not? i am a Westerner who grew up with the "Cold War" and wonder if the post WWII generation of Westerners cannot give up their stereotype of people from the former Soviet Union and still carry their negative feelings left from the propaganda that they grew up with as a child???? I moved here 6 years ago (because of job) and there were very few Russian visiting Pattaya so i have also witnessed the boom of numbers. If it wasn't for the tourists being 80% (my estimate) Russians, many hotels, restaurants, shops and tourist sights would be hurting. I find it refreshing to see families and couples visiting Pattaya other than just the single horny male tourist. True, the mannerisms of most Russians are a bit abbrasive...cold...'"different" but one has to understand that every culture is different and the fact that the older generation grew up under communism would make them less 'people friendly" The younger generation is more 'worldly" than their parents and are speaking the internnational language of English. Yes, there have been some rude (according to my upbringing) actions of some Russians that i have runned into (such as Russian men at the fitness center always wanting to 'butt in" my use of a weight machine; or not waiting their turn to get on a baht bus) but i just roll my eyes thinking they are just clueless to what is being polite. I remember when I first went overseas, some of the mistakes I made... not standing in a straight 'cue' when waiting for a bus in London; eating with my left hand in Arabia; not getting out of my seat when an elderly lady entered a Skytrain in Bangkok; not properly greeting the elders at a dinner in Turkey...the list goes on. Yes, there are many Russians visiting Thailand, but i do not think they are "taking over the city" -- I still see American fast food restaurant chains/ European clothing chains/ British mega stores being the major international businesses here; not a Volga or Moscow shopping complex.

I agree, never ceases to amaze what people find to whinge about. If it's not too many Russians it will be something else. Few years ago it was middle eastern people. Threads like this border on racism.

How about a pole on "Do you think Pattaya has too many farangs". Guys it's a global tourist destination and it aint going to return to the good old days. Generally speaking Russian women are much better on the eye than the slugs from OZ.

I am finding this more annoying. I don't mind Russian. I do mind Russian ONLY.

Could it get to a point where you decide to leave town because of it?

I think the Russians are doing Pattaya a big favour.

It's hard to imagine but I ain't learning Russian (even if I could but I'm American you seewhistling.gif ).

Was dealing with a garden architect through a translator yesterday and he commented to the translator that I really spoke good English since most Russians can't . Of course the translator immediately told him I was an American, unlike most of the architects new clients

• Like 1

Threads like this border on racism.

How could that be? It's mostly Caucasians from other countries (Europe, US, Australia etc) complaining about Caucasians from Russia.

Yes, it's more like a discussion about national cultural differences not touching on race per se. My main point remains the concern about any one group potentially becoming dominant, choking off the wonderful diversity we enjoy here. Edited by Jingthing

Spot on Jingthing. I too regularly take the sardine special baht bus to Jomtien from south pattaya. Over the past year i have witnessed hoards of Russians taking this trip. As soon as the baht bus reverses into position to load the waiting passengers, the russians barge through, never mind the people who have been waiting in line, Thai or westerners, pushing and shoving everybody out of the way. They do indeed seem to have formed the opinion that this is their town now, and the rest of us have to put up with their ignorant and boorish behaviour. I have witnessed them elbowing elderly thai ladies out of the way, putting bags on seats to "reserve" them for their friends who are on their way. I presume this is the normal behaviour in Russia, as they give the impression that this is the correct way to behave. The women are worse than the men, if that is possible. And believe me, when you are sat squashed up next to them their personal hygiene leaves a lot to be desired. I have seen more than one altercation between a russian and a driver over this, but they just growl and carry on regardless. But apparantly these are the new "quality" tourists the powers that be here in pattaya are targeting. A few years down the line they will live to regret it. Just about every restaurant / bar owner or shopkeeper you talk to has a horror story to tell about these people. Several times a day. But i am afraid it is now too late, too many of them are flocking here, the damage is already done. I notice from reading the Phuket and Koh Samui forums that they are gaining a foothold there too, with the same complaints from other tourists and expats. Russian"entrepeneurs" are already opening go go bars, nightclubs etc on walking street, staffed by eastern europeans, with what seems to be total impunity of the work permit laws. Money number one i guess. But the day will come, a few years down the line, when the decent people here, thai and farang, will regret handing over large swathes of the tourist industries to these people. But of course, by then, the "powers that be", who have given the green light to this, will be nowhere to be seen. They will be sitting back, spending more time with their bank accounts.

totally agree with all that.

Spot on Jingthing. I too regularly take the sardine special baht bus to Jomtien from south pattaya. Over the past year i have witnessed hoards of Russians taking this trip. As soon as the baht bus reverses into position to load the waiting passengers, the russians barge through, never mind the people who have been waiting in line, Thai or westerners, pushing and shoving everybody out of the way. They do indeed seem to have formed the opinion that this is their town now, and the rest of us have to put up with their ignorant and boorish behaviour. I have witnessed them elbowing elderly thai ladies out of the way, putting bags on seats to "reserve" them for their friends who are on their way. I presume this is the normal behaviour in Russia, as they give the impression that this is the correct way to behave. The women are worse than the men, if that is possible. And believe me, when you are sat squashed up next to them their personal hygiene leaves a lot to be desired. I have seen more than one altercation between a russian and a driver over this, but they just growl and carry on regardless. But apparantly these are the new "quality" tourists the powers that be here in pattaya are targeting. A few years down the line they will live to regret it. Just about every restaurant / bar owner or shopkeeper you talk to has a horror story to tell about these people. Several times a day. But i am afraid it is now too late, too many of them are flocking here, the damage is already done. I notice from reading the Phuket and Koh Samui forums that they are gaining a foothold there too, with the same complaints from other tourists and expats. Russian"entrepeneurs" are already opening go go bars, nightclubs etc on walking street, staffed by eastern europeans, with what seems to be total impunity of the work permit laws. Money number one i guess. But the day will come, a few years down the line, when the decent people here, thai and farang, will regret handing over large swathes of the tourist industries to these people. But of course, by then, the "powers that be", who have given the green light to this, will be nowhere to be seen. They will be sitting back, spending more time with their bank accounts.

totally agree with all that.

One thing is for sure, Exsexyman doesn't like Russians much. Funny thing is I live in one of the most popular Russian areas of town and haven't had a single problem with them yet.... but I don't use baht buses.

Do You Think The Russification Of Pattaya Is A Good Thing Or Not?

yes! i think it is a good thing.

not good is opening a thread with the purpose to invite bitching, raving and ranting to no avail.

I'm not trying to give Jingthing a hard time as he seems to have excellent taste in food and I much prefer Chinese food too, but it really is up to the individual.

Me neither - until he wrote Oy - smiles. You may know what I mean - or not.

For me it's about fish. OK - lots of other dishes too. Just don't remind me - Oy - sia dia - ect - gives me a smile - or a head ache.

I think we should be more open minded and move on.They are here and for the near future they will keep on coming.

Who knows what pattaya will be like in another 5 years,

This topic is full of discrimination.

TOPIC CLOSED

giggle.gif

Not sure what you mean. If one group becomes dominant, who gets the brunt of the discrimination? Not the dominating group. Had another experience yesterday. I spoke English in a space where Russian was the dominant, expected language. A Russian couple jumped up and stared at me in a hostile manner. Sorry, I would NEVER react to Russian speakers that way.

When the Eastern Block moved into Spain especially down the Costas even the hardened Scots drug dealers packed their bags and left. They just took over,Scary people.Drugs everywhere, Prostitutes were at every corner but the police wern't long in hounding them out as all the locals were complaining. Something I don't think the BIB here are in to much of a hurry to do but if they really get a grip there could be trouble ahead.

When the Eastern Block moved into Spain especially down the Costas even the hardened Scots drug dealers packed their bags and left. They just took over,Scary people.Drugs everywhere, Prostitutes were at every corner but the police wern't long in hounding them out as all the locals were complaining. Something I don't think the BIB here are in to much of a hurry to do but if they really get a grip there could be trouble ahead.

You've got to ask yourself though, who's better for Pattaya. Sexpats or Russian tourists? I think this is the first time a bunch of Caucasian real tourists have hit Pattaya in big numbers and everyone complains.

... so who's better for Pattaya? If Pattaya wants to lose it's sex tourism image, Russians should be their choice. Is there any other option?

[Not sure what you mean. If one group becomes dominant, who gets the brunt of the discrimination? Not the dominating group. Had another experience yesterday. I spoke English in a space where Russian was the dominant, expected language. A Russian couple jumped up and stared at me in a hostile manner. Sorry, I would NEVER react to Russian speakers that way.

Captain! long range scanners detected

jumping Russian hostile couple!

post-35218-0-98261800-1335782060_thumb.j

Basically this is what finished another popular holiday destination in Goa,the Russians.

What will happen is the ending of 12 month visas,it was the only way to control them,but everybody else got caught up in the net.

They sure did. They eventually changed the laws dealing with property ownership to try to deal with some of the issues in Goa.

I think we can still have the russians and the sex pats.Whoever spends the money i guess

As a steadfast customer of a certain gogo bar in Jomtien I can

attest that the russians ARE the sexpats there..

They come and enjoy the show. Seen a few in some of the bars in Jomtien too.

So much for artificial distinctions.

You've got to ask yourself though, who's better for Pattaya. Sexpats or Russian tourists? I think this is the first time a bunch of Caucasian real tourists have hit Pattaya in big numbers and everyone complains.

... so who's better for Pattaya? If Pattaya wants to lose it's sex tourism image, Russians should be their choice. Is there any other option?

Pattaya will never lose its sex tourism image with the Russians. Its was sex and drugs that got them kicked out of Spain.They even brought there own prostitutes exactly the same as what is happening here.

I dont mind the ordinary Russian tourist they have as much right to visit here as anyone else but it is the baggage that comes with them

I think we can still have the russians and the sex pats.Whoever spends the money i guess

I'm referring to the large volume of Russian tourists, mainly families and couples. These so called "sexpat" Russians you see in Jomtien - are they older retired men or younger ones who work here to service the Russian businesses?

I'm referring to the large volume of Russian tourists, mainly families and couples. These so called "sexpat" Russians you see in Jomtien - are they older retired men or younger ones who work here to service the Russian businesses?

According to this Beach rd /disco freelancer i know . The Russians are also picking up girls on the beach and are : " old man , young man , pay good money, 1000 short time " When asked how she knows they are Russians: " no English "

Edited by morrobay

a work colleague recently came back from Phuket, She was breakfasting at her hotel nearby were two Russian women,

,whom were 'loading' up for lunch by surreptitiously filling their beach bags with, bread, processed cheese, jam, and cold meats!!

As a previous poster mentioned many are on package tours and regard such things as buffets as fair game.

My Thai lady is a tourist agent in Phuket and she has mentioned they are not liked by Thai's, poor tippers!!

Re gogos in Pattaya, I wandered in one on walking street staffed by russkis and was asked for 300 baht for a bottle of beer

at todays rates about £6 !!! nuff said