Make Free Calls To Usa Now Working From G-Mail

steveb

Opened my g-mail today and was given the option to download and use the free call to the USA option . This has been available for US residents and some countries and now Thailand. Just made a call and crystal clear.Google has announced it will be free for this year.

Are you on some kind of VPN?

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/free-calling-in-gmail-extended-through.html

To learn more, visit gmail.com/call. Calling in Gmail is currently only available to U.S. based Gmail users.

Free to the US

Call phones in the US and Canada for free.

Cheap international calls

Call around the world for pennies per minute

There have been some recent threads on this topic, and some in Thailand report having access to this feature. Obviously international calling is not free, so they must think you are in the U.S.?

I do not the call option in Google Mail.

I do have the calling option in Google Voice,but calls do not go through.

Edited by lomatopo

I am not using vpn. I read somewhere that you must set your language to English US. Also I set my Google page at www.google.com/ncr. I also have Google voice. Not sure if these are factors or it's available for everyone.

If the OP is talking Google Voice, I just went to the Google Voice link and got the following response (same as I've always got):

Google Voice is not available in your country.Thanks for visiting Google Voice. We're not yet open for users outside the US, but are planning to expand our service to additional countries in the future.

Also logged onto my gmail account and no Google Voice offers/links, at least for me.

Edited by Pib

Just checked gmail and was invited to download the G. Voice plug-in for free calls to Canada and USA.......It's works! Thanks OP for the heads up!

You located and logging on from Thailand or from outside Thailand? Can't tell from looking at your profile or your post where you are located.

Just checked gmail and was invited to download the G. Voice plug-in for free calls to Canada and USA.......It's works! Thanks OP for the heads up!

I got that too about a week ago (and I was in Bangkok) and then the next day it was gone.

It's still not showing. I think they are testing it outside the US with ranges of IP addresses. I would not count on it.

GJ

Google offers an almost dizzying array of communications products. Often they have duplicate names, and this can lead to quite a bit of confusion. In general, it might be helpful if people could post as many details about the product they’re using, their location, what features and functions they are using.

Applications/services which I am aware of include:

Google Voice

I have a Google Voice with a Google number , a 10-digit U.S. telephone number in my previous home town. I signed up for this during a trip to the U.S. AFAIK, you must be in the U.S., or appear to be, in order to sign up for this. This does not offer too much for me here; I do get voice-mails (speech to text) and SMSes (valuable for authentication services like banking) sent to my Gmail account. In the U.S. there are quite a few services available, listed in the link.

Google Talk, which is really a PC-PC chat application.

Google Talk with video/voice plug-in, same link as above, adds PC-PC video and voice to the PC-PC chat application.

Call Phones from Gmail is a feature added to Gmail allowing you to make a free PC-phone call from Gmail using VOIP, within the U.S. and Canada through 2011.

Calls to the U.S. and Canada will be free for at least the rest of the year and calls to other countries will be billed at our very low rates. We worked hard to make these rates really cheap (seecomparison table) with calls to the U.K., France, Germany, China, Japan—and many more countries—for as little as $0.02 per minute.

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/free-calling-in-gmail-extended-through.html

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/call-phones-from-gmail.html

This seems to be the feature/application some be be referring to in this thread? If so, it may be valuable if they could share some more details.

I have all these applications installed but cannot make calls from Thailand to the U.S. (PC-phone); I can log-in to Google Voice, and apaprently make a call bu the call does not complete. I do NOT have the calling option from within GMail.

Google offers an almost dizzying array of communications products. Often they have duplicate names, and this can lead to quite a bit of confusion. In general, it might be helpful if people could post as many details about the product they're using, their location, what features and functions they are using.

Applications/services which I am aware of include:

Google Voice

I have a Google Voice with a Google number , a 10-digit U.S. telephone number in my previous home town. I signed up for this during a trip to the U.S. AFAIK, you must be in the U.S., or appear to be, in order to sign up for this. This does not offer too much for me here; I do get voice-mails (speech to text) and SMSes (valuable for authentication services like banking) sent to my Gmail account. In the U.S. there are quite a few services available, listed in the link.

Google Talk, which is really a PC-PC chat application.

Google Talk with video/voice plug-in, same link as above, adds PC-PC video and voice to the PC-PC chat application.

Call Phones from Gmail is a feature added to Gmail allowing you to make a free PC-phone call from Gmail using VOIP, within the U.S. and Canada through 2011.

Calls to the U.S. and Canada will be free for at least the rest of the year and calls to other countries will be billed at our very low rates. We worked hard to make these rates really cheap (seecomparison table) with calls to the U.K., France, Germany, China, Japan—and many more countries—for as little as $0.02 per minute.

http://gmailblog.blo...ed-through.html

http://gmailblog.blo...from-gmail.html

This seems to be the feature/application some be be referring to in this thread? If so, it may be valuable if they could share some more details.

I have all these applications installed but cannot make calls from Thailand to the U.S. (PC-phone); I can log-in to Google Voice, and apaprently make a call bu the call does not complete. I do NOT have the calling option from within GMail.

Thank you so much. You've helped clear away some of my confusion. :-)

Cheers,

Keoki

• 1 month later...

My "call phone" feature is there occasionally and I am located in Thailand. I previously read about some trick to make it think you are in the US but haven't found it again. I think it was from someone in Vietnam. Please let us know if anybody figures out how to make it work regularly.