How Worn Is Worn?

Steps

Hi all,

I have got a little 110 scooter which i have had since brand new (9 months). The rear tyre has worn down on the centre line only but the sides still have a reasonable amount of tread left. I know that if a car tyre wares down in the centre, this indicates overinflation and if just the outer edges ware down then this indicates under-inflation - is this the same for motorbikes? I spoke to, who i assume to be an experienced rider and he said that the tyre needs replacing. Is he right?

So i goes to the motorbike garage to replace the tyre and the guy there say's that i don't need to replace it until the tyre has worn on the edges too? (quite generous of him considering it was potential money to him), Is he right?

Cheers

Steps

Dont know where you live in Thailand, here in north Issan it will start to rain big time in about 6 weeks, so good treded tyres are essential on wet roads, not so much for wheelspin, but braking on wet surfaces, mrs just had 2 new tyres put on her Wave, 800bht,

Tires wearing in the middle indicates "commuting" type riding. Wearing on the sides of the tires is from track use. As ScubbaBudha says, unless you are Rossi or track your bike, the middle will wear first. Doesn't matter how good the sides are, if one part of it is worn (the center) the tire needs to be replaced. Better to replace it under controlled circumstances rather than wait for it to wear on the road.

That's all great advise and well heeded. I live in one of the wettest parts of Thailand so i will be looking to replace ASAP as the rain is on the way!!

The factory fitted tyres are quite small (front = 60/100-17 m/c 33p and back = 70/90-17m/c 43p) so i want to buy the biggest and best tyres for the monsoon season for obvious reasons. Are there any pitfalls to this? and what tyres would anyone recomend.

Much appreciated

Steps

Just had a puncture repaired on the PCX. Checked the pressure when l got home to find 50 psi :huh:, this will wear the centre in quick time. I do worry about the tread design from new, like big bike race tyres, useless in the rainy season here, same as my Micky Thompson '' street '' drag radials on the Pontiac. :ermm:

Just had a puncture repaired on the PCX. Checked the pressure when l got home to find 50 psi :huh:, this will wear the centre in quick time. I do worry about the tread design from new, like big bike race tyres, useless in the rainy season here, same as my Micky Thompson '' street '' drag radials on the Pontiac. :ermm:

So if i understand you right, your saying that it wont matter if i have bigger tyres or not in the rainny season? just as long as i have the tread.

post-41816-0-56941000-1299400000_thumb.j

Just had a puncture repaired on the PCX. Checked the pressure when l got home to find 50 psi :huh:, this will wear the centre in quick time. I do worry about the tread design from new, like big bike race tyres, useless in the rainy season here, same as my Micky Thompson '' street '' drag radials on my Pontiac. :ermm:

So if i understand you right, your saying that it wont matter if i have bigger tyres or not in the rainny season? just as long as i have the tread.

If your rim size accepts a bigger tyre fine but in LOS rainy season tread is paramount to move water. My reference to the Pontiac tyres is that the tread design is similar to the PCX and was lethal in the wet. post-41816-0-56941000-1299400000_thumb.j

Steps, your rear tyre has a reading of 70, this is the tyres width, i think tyre width sizes goes up in 10s of MM, check the max width/clearance at the front of the rear tyre, ie, near the engine/drive assembly, it might take a slighty bigger tyre, but not much..

My Yamaha scooter came from the factory fitted with a reasonable front tyre but the rear had no tread whatsoever down the centre 1/4 inch. Lost the back end a couple of times when I picked it up in October, and there's no way I'm continuing with it into the rainy season without a tyre change.

After a few thousand km, I doubt the OP has worn his tyres out already, unless he's been doing some serious burnouts on his 110! I'd imagine he too has one of these shitty tyres. My advice, buy a new one with tread all the way across and keep this one for the next dry season.

My Yamaha scooter came from the factory fitted with a reasonable front tyre but the rear had no tread whatsoever down the centre 1/4 inch. Lost the back end a couple of times when I picked it up in October, and there's no way I'm continuing with it into the rainy season without a tyre change.

After a few thousand km, I doubt the OP has worn his tyres out already, unless he's been doing some serious burnouts on his 110! I'd imagine he too has one of these shitty tyres. My advice, buy a new one with tread all the way across and keep this one for the next dry season.

Ye, that's a good idea and something i was thinking of doing. You've just helped me to re-affirm this as i will be taking them old tyres home. Next step is to measure the clearence of the rear tyre (cheers Lickey).

Ye, that's a good idea and something i was thinking of doing. You've just helped me to re-affirm this as i will be taking them old tyres home. Next step is to measure the clearence of the rear tyre (cheers Lickey).

Check your back wheel is true especially if a spoke one and you can do what you want, you can get wider tyres fitted if you want.

It's only a scooter more rubber surface on the road the better.

What's important is :-

The correct tyre pressures more critical for bike or scooter.

Scrub new tyres in by doing the recommended kilos.