Culture Shock

BambinA

after i read some forums in TH site .. well they talk about Culture shock in farangland as

tube use for clean butt after poo (hard to find ..we re not used to use clenex for wipe our bun)...hard to find

bag in supermarket (have to paid)

charge some buck when ask for sauce (KFC,McDo)

shower ( TH always wanna shower ,atleast 2 times aday ..even its cold)..when we take a shower ..some farangs blame that we waste water..

bidet

..etc...

ok.. now its my turn ... do you guys have culture shock here??

Bambi

Edited by BambinA

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and some...

Biggest for me is the 'hole in the floor' toilets - especially in petrol stations. :o

PS:

In the UK, you rarely have to pay for carrier bags (unless you want Cooler Bags or something) and sauce is free in McDonaulds, KFC and Burger King, but some smaller fast food places still charge.

Edited by wolf5370

now ..its not culture shock ..but TH who live in farangland always get these question

do you ride elephant?

do you have PC?

ohh Taiwan ?

ohh whats language you speak ..Taiwanese?

are you a prince /princess ..so u can study in farangland

do you eat dog?

..etc..

funny... always make me smile :o

1. If you are driving in the UK and let someone out at a junction you will always get a thank-you wave (well 99% of the time).

In Thailand motorists seem unused to this sort of courtesy and you never get a thank-you. So surprising in a country where everyone is so polite and well mannered (well 99% of people)

2. (I could make an utter prat of myself here...)

In the UK cars ALWAYS stop when you step onto a pedestran crossing.

In Thailand cars NEVER stop for pedestrians.

(now go on, someone tell me that the black and white marking across the roads are not crossings)

PS- For Thailand read Bangkok and Pattaya, as I don't know how motorists behave in other parts.

Going back to beaches...

A friend of mine took his Thai girl friend to Holland for three months over the summer. On one particulary hot day they went to the beach. Everyone was dressed in bikinis and speedos etc.. apart from her, she was sat with her coat on.. too cold.. :o:D

totster :D

In the UK if someone flashes their headlights at you they're inviting you to go first. Flashed headlights in Thailand mean 'I'm coming THROUGH!!!' :o

I love that in Thailand they still have people doing jobs that were replaced with machines (or just never done) in UK,

Example:- Drive onto Big C car park and 1 man writes you a ticket, another helps you park your car, several others push the parked cars around to help people get in and out, yet another takes the ticket from you as you leave. And it's free parking.

Hmmm....

- Less privacy and personal space than in the West.

- Matriarchal nature of family life. (MIL has great power.)

- Different concepts of ownership of personal property.

- Tiny house lots in subdivisions.

- More consciousness of class and class power.

- Different concepts of cleanliness.

- Constant snacking.

Of course, one could fill volumes with this sort of stuff. Many authors have. The above are just a few that come to mind and which continue to surprise me.

the parking,, in the LoS is fabulous, leave your handbrake off and out of gear so you can double park and the car is pushed out of the way...wicked idea and makes sense for the overcrowding...

At central lad prao the car park scecurity have a pallet truck to manoeuver tightly squeezed cars in and out... wicked idea...

try this in the Uk and the cars would be pushed into each other by young hoodies(new word in blighty for a thug with a hooded top).

the west has alot to offer but an awful lot to learn..

the parking,, in the LoS is fabulous, leave your handbrake off and out of gear so you can double park and the car is pushed out of the way...wicked idea and makes sense for the overcrowding...

At central lad prao the car park scecurity have a pallet truck to manoeuver tightly squeezed cars in and out... wicked idea...

try this in the Uk and the cars would be pushed into each other by young hoodies(new word in blighty for a thug with a hooded top).

the west has alot to offer but an awful lot to learn..

Agreed :o

1. If you are driving in the UK and let someone out at a junction you will always get a thank-you wave (well 99% of the time).

In Thailand motorists seem unused to this sort of courtesy and you never get a thank-you. So surprising in a country where everyone is so polite and well mannered (well 99% of people)

2.  (I could make an utter prat of myself here...)

In the UK cars ALWAYS stop when you step onto a pedestran crossing.

In Thailand cars NEVER stop for pedestrians.

(now go on, someone tell me that the black and white marking across the roads are not crossings)

PS- For Thailand read Bangkok and Pattaya, as I don't know how motorists behave in other parts.

The black and white stripes are 'Ambulance Stops', this makes it easy for the emergency services to collect their passengers :o

Anyway, most of the 'Crossings' seem to go only half way across the road, what do you do when you get to the end?

bag in supermarket (have to paid)

and after that u have to stuff all shopping things BY URSELF

u can't ask for FREE water in Mc or KFC

some places, even have to pay for using toilet!

the most classic shock is the traditonal ITALIAN toilet,

makes me feeling like peeing on ground!

and the tab without opener, instead they use the feet to push the water out

(classic and love it!)

first time i remembered, after pooping, i wanted to wash my hands but dang i couldn't find to turn on the water from tab, thought to myself.. maybe it worked by shaking at the tab.. no it not, maybe by automatic censer.. not possible, maybe by palming ur hands together.. so funny!..

then it tooks me about 5 mins to discover the pusher on ground for flowing water out!

For me it was remembering wich way to look before i crossed the street

having the bathroom attendent start rubbing my neck ... that one almost got me and the guy next to me wet

dodging the scooters with a family of 5 carrying groceries, sending an sms and eating a bowl of noodles with the family pet in the basket on the front

For me it was remembering wich way to look before i crossed the street

having the bathroom attendent start rubbing my neck ... that one almost got me and the guy next to me wet

dodging the scooters with a family of 5 carrying groceries, sending an sms and eating a bowl of noodles with the family pet in the basket on the front

:o:D

white dog poo

:o LOL

Culture shock ,hmmmm . To many to tell . The funny thing is that im not as shocked as I first was , so many things are just normal now .

The two remaining things that always shock me are :

1 . ) Elephants walking on the expressway .

2 . ) In Thailand im handsome .

On a rainy day seeing umbellas outside a store waiting for their owners to return for them after they are finished shopping.

In the US of A the umbellas would not be there when the owners returned.

Then back to the thank yous.... I take the whole family ( inlaws) out to dinner, now we eat, drink, all the kids get ice cream and not one of them says, Hay middlepath thanks for the nice dinner, not one. In my heart I know they had a good time though which is good enough, I guess. :o