Motorcycle Versus Car

robblok

I own both a car and a 135cc motorcycle (scooter). Recently i have noticed that I will use the bike more then then the car even on long hauls 20+ km's if i suspect that there will be traffic. Currently they are working on the road between the mall ngam wong wan and Bang Yai and there is always traffic.

I will only use the car if i have to take my gf because i don't like riding the bike with someone on the back. I save loads of time with the bike and for short distances i also prefer it above the car.

I wonder if there are other forum members who prefer their bike when there is a lot of traffic over the car.

Please move to general dont know how it got here.

Edited by robblok

For me personally it's about my own personal safety on the road. Hardly use the bike, doesn't matter how confident you/l are on a bike the ridiculous can and probably will happen. :huh:

I don't worry about that i have donned 100+ amulets around the bike and myself so im bullet proof :D

To be honest i don't think that driving a bike is as unsafe as you say it is. I have been riding a bike here now for 5 years and had just 1 accident and it was for a big part my mistake. I learned from that.

For me personally it's about my own personal safety on the road. Hardly use the bike, doesn't matter how confident you/l are on a bike the ridiculous can and probably will happen. :huh:

I don't worry about that i have donned 100+ amulets around the bike and myself so im bullet proof :D

To be honest i don't think that driving a bike is as unsafe as you say it is. I have been riding a bike here now for 5 years and had just 1 accident and it was for a big part my mistake. I learned from that.

My point is if you have a minor prang on a bike it can kill you where as in a car no probs. :)

I like to use the bike to avoid the traffic too, but when you factor the heat in, I always end up sitting in the car listening to tunes and watching all the other knuckleheads around me in the traffic whilst the bikes wizz past. laugh.gif

The other thing I hate about the car is parking, hard to find a spot & of course its alot harder to get the car onto the footpath for those well known shortcuts rolleyes.gif

My point is if you have a minor prang on a bike it can kill you where as in a car no probs. :)

True but if you think like that its better not to go into traffic at all. I mean if one of those busses or trucks slams into your care its bye bye too.

True but if you think like that its better not to go into traffic at all. I mean if one of those busses or trucks slams into your care its bye bye too.

If one you describe slams into your bike it's definitely curtains, nothing around you. We all go into traffic at sometime or another, here the risks are extreme, thats why l sit up high in a 4x4 truck.

Your post asks a question, l post my reasons.

I saw pics once of a guy in a hot hatch, all the airbag stuff, hit a truck. He was in two halves from the waist but all his spine was still attached two his lower half, pulled out of his body. So, don't drive a hot hatch and drive the bike rarely because smaller is more vulnerable. :)

The worst option is a big bike. It has the disadvantage of all bikes; get hit, get hurt, and the disadvantages of a car; too wide to go up the left-hand side to get to the front at traffic lights.

I have to agree, i had a big bike.. its fun driving.. but real bad if your in traffic. On my scooter its much easier.

At least if you are on a bike and run into a car it is the car drivers fault. <_<

Although I must say, I just wouldn't feel safe on a bike in Bangkok.

jb1

Not sure that goes for a foreigner too. I feel quite safe on a bike did a 24 km trip today into BKK. No problem im fine as long as i know the way.

I agree with you. I rely on the fino to get around.

And I agree with your agreement. I have a Yamaha 135cc and a Nissan Navara and will almost always take the bike over the truck, up to about 35 kms or so one way trip, or unless I need to carry stuff. Ian will chip in soon and advise that you have to keep your eyes open for the other idiots on the road and he's absolutely right ....always be aware! Bottom line, the bike is cheaper, easier and much more convenient for the many reasons posted, just watch out and carry many, many amulets to stay bullet proof!

:rolleyes:mario299

Dangerous, sure. But I still use the motorcycle to work, It takes half an hour to work and half an hour home on 2 wheels and one-hour-fefteen minutes each way in a car. Bangkok = motorcycle. Been doing it for nearly 20 years now

With my family in mind, I dont have the luxury of this choice. It doesn't matter how careful driver I am, statistics tells me that for every day I drive a motorbike in Thailand I increase the chances of getting killed by another idiot. For the sake of my family, I cant take that risk. The car doesn't make me immortal, but at least I'm inside a vehicle with airbags and some metal around me as protection.

If it was just me, I'd opt for the motorbike eight days a week.

Motorbike is quicker in traffic, cheaper and easier to park... dangerous yes, but a car is still dangerous if you hit a bus head on..

Anyway most bike deaths are around Songraan..

By the way if anyone's after a cheap runaround, I'm selling my Nissan Sunny 1.5. I'll take 30K...

Edited by justaphase

I use my bike for just about everything. I prefer it for many reasons. It is easy to get around in traffic ,easier to park,cheaper to operate, better visbility and enjoyable to drive. My Nissan truck is hard to get around in traffic with people in other pickups stopping in front of stores tp go in and blocking traffic for others(no problem with bike), cannot find parking near where I want to go so tempted to do same as others and park on street and make problems for everyone else. Windows have darkening on them which impairs my visibility especially at night, also at corners the way Thais put up signs and such sitting high in the truck many times I cannot get good view what is coming down the street I want to turn on too. People stop right in front of me in the truck for whatever reason I have to sit and wait till they move, on my bike I just slip around no problem. I us the bike for everything unless weather is bad or am going over 140 kilometers from home. Lastly I feel it is easier to avoid an accident on a bike than in a truck. Have put less than 30 kilometers on the truck so far this year.

Motorbike is quicker in traffic, cheaper and easier to park... dangerous yes, but a car is still dangerous if you hit a bus head on..

Anyway most bike deaths are around Songraan..

By the way if anyone's after a cheap runaround, I'm selling my Nissan Sunny 1.5. I'll take 30K...

I could be interested, will PM you.

:rolleyes:mario299

Having a family made me buy my old Volvo. Real steel and a .50 cal mounted up top. I do look silly driving it with my Betty Boop costume though... I still ride motorsickles though but usually solo at the start of my adventures.

Many people seem to fear bikes, i think they are dangerous but not as dangerous as people make them out to be. Sure many people die on motorbikes but many of those are young males with no respect for safety. You can do a lot to make driving safer (no you cant rule an other idiot in a big fortuner out).

For me it just saves a lot of time, just like the other guy said half an hour on a bike 1 our 15 minutes in a car. That more then double the time. Plus parking is hell.

I think a motorbike is better then vehicle. Driving by motorbike you feel free yourself. But it's not good in Bangkok when the cars around you produce a lot of exhaust and you have to breath it.

^

Yup, air's bad.

However, almost all new vehicles and taxis run on super clean LPG.

As soon as they get rid of the black smoke spewing public buses or convert them (As well as the old messed up 2 stroke motorbikes and any pickup that seems new but who's engine has been decimated by the wrong fuel) we should be in for a much more breathable Bangkok.

Here's hoping whistling.gif

^

Yup, air's bad.

However, almost all new vehicles and taxis run on super clean LPG.

As soon as they get rid of the black smoke spewing public buses or convert them (As well as the old messed up 2 stroke motorbikes and any pickup that seems new but who's engine has been decimated by the wrong fuel) we should be in for a much more breathable Bangkok.

Here's hoping whistling.gif

I dont have any problems with the air but that is just me. But some of those cars spew out black smoke usually pickups. The only problem is that i sometimes buy too much while shopping then i wish i took my car.