Motorcycle Versus Car

robblok

I only drive in rainy season or if I'm going to pick up lots of supplies. The bike saves me 10x the amount of time and that is cruising at 40 km/hr.

My friend is driving a big bike and it is ridiculous. I'm always waiting for him. All that power but he can't cut through traffic.

I only drive in rainy season or if I'm going to pick up lots of supplies. The bike saves me 10x the amount of time and that is cruising at 40 km/hr.

My friend is driving a big bike and it is ridiculous. I'm always waiting for him. All that power but he can't cut through traffic.

But he's smiling all the way. Good for him. :D

I had a big bike for a while it was great but like you said hard to get through traffic. But the extra power to torque was a lot of fun.

Bikes in Thailand are clearly more dangerous than you think they are.

Many older people do have that opinion. Granted bikes are more dangerous then cars but not that dangerous if you know what your doing and know where you are going.

But he's smiling all the way. Good for him. :D

Nah he's usually cursing. A good friend but he's got a bad temper.

Bikes in Thailand are clearly more dangerous than you think they are.

Many older people do have that opinion. Granted bikes are more dangerous then cars but not that dangerous if you know what your doing and know where you are going.

As long as you maintain concentration and make yourself aware of what is going on around you I think you are probably less likely to have an accident on a bike than in a car, particularly round the crowded streets of Pattaya. The downside is that if you do have that accident it is going to do you a lot more damage! I wouldn't be without my bike and most of the time the car just sits in the driveway collecting dust.

Same here i use the bike a lot, i wonder how many people just drive the car for status and would not want to drive a bike because it has no status. This is more a question about Thai's then foreigners because many of them don't care about status.

There is a fool proof way to make a decision about bike V car. When you have a spare moment, go into your local public hospital. Walk up one level to the general surgical ward. Have a look around at the large numbers of beds and people, wherever there is a space. If you speak a little Thai ask the staff how many patients are the result of motorbike accidents. Its often around 85% on most days.

As much as I like the idea of a medium sized Honda chopper or similar, no way,I prefer to get my adrenalin rush some other way.

There is a fool proof way to make a decision about bike V car. When you have a spare moment, go into your local public hospital. Walk up one level to the general surgical ward. Have a look around at the large numbers of beds and people, wherever there is a space. If you speak a little Thai ask the staff how many patients are the result of motorbike accidents. Its often around 85% on most days.

As much as I like the idea of a medium sized Honda chopper or similar, no way,I prefer to get my adrenalin rush some other way.

Then check out how many of them are young bucks with no regard for traffic laws and the figures change. The thing is I have ridden a bike for 5 years now and many of my friends have to. No accidents (i had one on my big bike and that was mostly my mistake and i learned from it). I don't use a bike for an adrenalin rush i use it for fast transport (fast is relative of course). It goes faster as a car who stands still in traffic.

For me the bike is purely recreational. I only get on it in full riding gear. For errands I use the truck. I don’t have to put on the gear and it is safer, cleaner, cooler, and more comfortable. That said I still put over 11000k on the bike in the first 8 months. Then again I live in the country not in the city, as well. :)

In Bangkok, a bike will always beat a car for speed. In the country, a car is the preferred choice.

I have family, and in Bkk I rode the bike on my own for 2 yrs, 40km roundtrip a day. For family trips, taxis were (and are) the answer. You can drink a beer and not worry about parking etc. I never saw the point in stressing in traffic and wasting my lifetime...

Outside of Bkk, I have a car and a big bike, plus the little bikes. Chopper for fun, Dream for local shopping, and car for missus' local shopping or family driving.

Songkhran? I stay home, or use the little bike just for local trips. In NST there's only one wet day, and if you slow down for them to get you, it's not thrown in your face!

Then again I love bike-riding, drinking beer and my family's safety (not necessarily in that order), so it's my choice. To each their own...